Milk Stout Stalled..What Do?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloose

Reaction score
brewed on 2/2/13, pitched US04 on a 1L starter. I made my gravity OK,

here is my grain bill:

8.0 oz Rice Hulls (Briess) (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 4.7 %
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 65.1 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.0 %
12.0 oz Crystal, Extra Dark (Simpsons) (160.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.0 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.7 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.3 %
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 7 9.3 %

Mashed at 156F for 60 min

FG into fermenter was 1.054... The only change above is the oats werent flaked, it was steel cut oatmeal that I mashed only, did not cook it first.

HOWEVER: my gravity is at 1.030 today ...i checked it on 2/10/13 and it was 1.030. It's at room temp (70-72), the yeast took RIGHT off when i pitched, bubbled for a couple days, and then stopped.

it's my first stout, I wanted a sweeter breakfast type session stout, and I'll say it's pretty yummy as is, but I don't want to bottle a ticking time bomb. Anyone have any ideas? Or is my beer just finished as is, and I should be happy with a 3.25% ABV beer, or is something drastically wrong and I should repitch?! ack!

i hate s04 sometimes. i just do. it always lets me down.

only lost 24 pts? that doesn't seem right esp with that mash temp... hrm.... but if tis' only 8 days later, i'd give it at least another 2 weeks and try it again.

I don't know. Maybe high mash temp plus the oats resulted in less fermentables.

Maybe throw in a higher attenuating yeast and see if it chews through anymore. Your flavor profile should be pretty well established.

Crazier: boil 2 pounds of DME in as small amount of water as possible. Cool and throw in with your new yeast (or without new yeast). Give a gentle swirl.

His mash temp shouldn't cause the issue, I mash regularly at 155 and get an average between 1.068 and 1.055 as starting gravity and finish at 1.010 regularly using 1968 London Ale

Nightshade said:
Did you oxygenate your wort?

Yeah I use a wine degasser on a cordless drill to whirlpool in the kettle during chilling and I spin it to a froth in the fermenter. It didn't lag- the airlock took right off within an hour. I oxygenate the piss out of it for lack of a better adjective.

Let her sit for a couple days and retest it. The yeast you used should definitley take it lower than where you are currently.

what temp are you fermenting at?

:edit: nevermind saw your ferment temp

An update to this... I pitched about a 1l of s05 starter, nothing happened... It finished at 1.028... I bottled it and its rather delicious, like a dessert beer. I've gotten rave reviews from my tasters.

Back