Update on the Hops Shortage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a cycle to me. In a couple years there will be cheap hops to be had by everyone, growers will start losing money and change to other crops, then we'll be in a shortage again.

homebrewer_99 said:
Call me a pessimist if you will, but I've been alive for over 50 years and I have never seen prices go down on anything...;)

I hear ya, but what about computers and consumer electronics?

I can see this turning around even tually, but I dont' think anyone believes the price will get back to where it was. Inflation has surely happened over the past few years, so I expect the growers will factor that in as the prices come down again.

Homercidal said:
I hear ya, but what about computers and consumer electronics?

I can see this turning around even tually, but I dont' think anyone believes the price will get back to where it was. Inflation has surely happened over the past few years, so I expect the growers will factor that in as the prices come down again.
Ya got me there young whippersnapper...!;)

Actually, that's technology that's been transisterized then chipped...the only reason their prices have fallen is because of volume sales. Can't do that too much with plant matter. :eek:

TJ Maxx has cheaper clothing, but that's because they are "seconds"...a lot of people don't know that...(I worked at one for a little while)...

I fully expect prices to come down, but not for two years and not to what they were in 2006.

Yes,
It takes about 2 years for hop plants to become fully productive, so we can't expect any significant relief until 2010.

Still it is good news that additional acreage has been added and there is some hope in sight.

Cheers,
Brad

The other problem with hops farming is the narrow consumer market-brewing.
Not much other use for hops in an alternative market.

That's where we come in. The potheads trot out hemp as the panacea for everything from acne to fuel oil. We should do the same for hops. Hop Oil. Hop clothing. Hop paper.

Back