False Bottom ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiseEyes

Reaction score
I bought 3 20 gallon ss stock pots that i plan to use in my e-herms build, I have got all the fittings ordered and the herms coil, but havn't decided on what to do about the mash tun. I would like to keep my efficiency as high as possible, but where would I look for a false bottom for a off brand kettle? I believe the inner diameter to be just under 18 inches so probably 17 5/8'' are there any vendors on here that make custom false bottoms to size? If not what are my other options?

I bought 3 20 gallon ss stock pots that i plan to use in my e-herms build, I have got all the fittings ordered and the herms coil, but havn't decided on what to do about the mash tun. I would like to keep my efficiency as high as possible, but where would I look for a false bottom for a off brand kettle? I believe the inner diameter to be just under 18 inches so probably 17 5/8'' are there any vendors on here that make custom false bottoms to size? If not what are my other options?

I just bought a custom false bottom from Jaybird. I've only used it once, but I was very happy with it right out of the box. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/jaybirds-stainless-false-bottoms-146056/ is a good thread to read, plus the link to his brewstore is in his signature in the first post.

I would think an insulated mash tun would work better with herms. Like a cooler so you'd lose less heat during the mash. I know I'm not answering your question. sorry bout that. Just wondering out loud.

You can buy perforated stainless plate in a 19"x19" sheet from Grainger.com then use a plasma cutter to very easily and accurately cut a near-perfect circle (touch up the edges with a bench grinder).

-Then buy a 1" strip of stainless that's just slighly less long than the inside diameter of your mashtun and clamp it around a 1" piece of plywood of the same diameter (well technically 2 mm less if the stainless strip is 1mm thick), and tack weld it into a ring. Then use 8 more tack welds to attach the stainless perforated sheet to the ring and you have a fantastic false bottom. (Yes, you'd need access to a tig welder and plasma cutter, BUT...)

-I'm currently in the middle of this process and only have to finish the ring and tack the perforated sheet to the FB. I have full pictures and will put them up SOMEWHERE when I'm done. (I hope to be done this weekend but I'd say I have a 50% chance of getting it done this weekend.)

This FB design is really nice because even if the grain falls inbetween the FB and the kettle wall it can't pass under the ring and clog the run-off; it's pretty much clog-proof!
(I've got a bottom draining mashtun; if you've got a side-drain you'll need to drill a small hole for your dip tube.)

Adam

I have access to a tig and plasma cutter but to be honest don't think my stainless steel welding ability is anything to right home about. It looks like JayBird will get my business

Jaybird will custom craft a false bottom to properly match your mash tun/kettle/keggle. I've been extremely happy with the one I got from him. When I need another, he's getting my business. I have mine inside a keggle mash tun.

I have the mash tun wrapped with a carbon fiber welder's blanket. One layer is directly glued onto the side of the keg, and I have another piece that will go around it about 1-1/2 times. I've never needed to use more than the second piece, even when brewing mostly outside (porch that was open on two sides) in the winter. So, while many use coolers, you don't have to in order to get good results.

I like the keggle mash tun since I can directly fire it to get the strike water to temp, as well as to add more heat to it as needed. IME, having a way to directly heat the mash tun makes for a much easier brew day. I was always having trouble at least getting to sparge temp with coolers. Now, I have zero issue.

Hi, HERMS here as well.

This is my fb, just to show you something you could evaluate.

Photo%20Mar%2002%2C%206%2033%2055%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2002%2C%206%2033%2042%20PM.jpg

Great with a pilsner beer, some troubles with a wit (due to the wheat flakes, have to add rice hulls next time.).

Question, Would efficiency benefit from a silicon gasket on the sides to seal it up to prevent cavitation and channeling, Has anyone tried this?

Never had that issue with my NorCal/Jaybird false bottom. I have to fold it to both fit it into the keg mash tun, and get the dip tube in the hole for it. Once the bottom is flat, the dip tube is in there TIGHT. They really make top notch bottoms. :D

Back