To much water..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nwa-brewing

Reaction score
I am working on a batch of pumpkin spice wine and i diluted it to much :(

My question is would it be ok to add in some canned pumpkin and let the flavor soak into the wine, it's done fermenting so not sure if this would be ok?

Seems OK, but if you didn't stabalize the wine (and there's not too many preservatives in the puree) it will likely start fermenting again.

How about withdrawing a cup of wine, feed 1/4 tsp sugar and see if you get activity. That way you will know the status of the ferment...odds are still have live yeast. Addl fruit in secondary is preferred by many, especially pumpkin, but consider a roasted sweet potato chunks (or juice a few).

Oh it still has yeast cause i intentionally kicked off a second ferment which has stopped.

Roasted sweet potatoes, would canned work?

saramc said:
How about withdrawing a cup of wine, feed 1/4 tsp sugar and see if you get activity. That way you will know the status of the ferment...odds are still have live yeast. Addl fruit in secondary is preferred by many, especially pumpkin, but consider a roasted sweet potato chunks (or juice a few).

Would canned yams be ok??

Nwa-brewing said:
Would canned yams be ok??

Yes, your canned yams will work. In fact, you would not even need to broil, smush into double layer clean/sanitized pantyhose and into secondary. Add some pectic enzyme, 1/2-1 tsp per gallon. Or just add yams to carboy and ditch the fancy straing apparatus.

Some unsolicited suggestions, sorry:
I would consider backsweetening with pumpkin pie spiced caramel syrup, like Torani or such that you doctor up, or make your own. I do it all fall for my coffee syrup-homemade!!. Consider the use of whole spices as you heat the syrup to extract flavor, that way you need not worry about little spice flecks everywhere. Perhaps toss some cinnamon sticks in pint jar, cover with puregrain....in a few weeks you have cinnamon extract. Or a caramelized sugar simple syrup done at home (tricky bugger for me, but getting better). Can send recipe if you PM me....unless you want me to post?

saramc said:
Yes, your canned yams will work. In fact, you would not even need to broil, smush into double layer clean/sanitized pantyhose and into secondary. Add some pectic enzyme, 1/2-1 tsp per gallon. Or just add yams to carboy and ditch the fancy straing apparatus.

Some unsolicited suggestions, sorry:
I would consider backsweetening with pumpkin pie spiced caramel syrup, like Torani or such that you doctor up, or make your own. I do it all fall for my coffee syrup-homemade!!. Consider the use of whole spices as you heat the syrup to extract flavor, that way you need not worry about little spice flecks everywhere. Perhaps toss some cinnamon sticks in pint jar, cover with puregrain....in a few weeks you have cinnamon extract. Or a caramelized sugar simple syrup done at home (tricky bugger for me, but getting better). Can send recipe if you PM me....unless you want me to post?

One of these days maybe i will invest in a strainer bag, i emptied some of the wine into another holding device then mixed some of that wine with the "yams" and pureed then poured it all back into the carboy the displaced wine has been set aside for top off :)

Please post here if you don't mind, sure others will find it useful! I didn't think about back sweetening that way!! Fantastic idea :) i am sure my wife is thrilled i am diving further into this hobby lol

Nwa-brewing said:
One of these days maybe i will invest in a strainer bag, i emptied some of the wine into another holding device then mixed some of that wine with the "yams" and pureed then poured it all back into the carboy the displaced wine has been set aside for top off :)

Please post here if you don't mind, sure others will find it useful! I didn't think about back sweetening that way!! Fantastic idea :) i am sure my wife is thrilled i am diving further into this hobby lol

Ebay....cheap, cheap, cheap, purchase individually or by a set. If you can sew, all you need is the fabric and ten minutes. Many use paint straining bags from hardware store, actually able to use a few times before discarding. Though of course you could purchase panty hose and see what wife says. I make several nylon tubes from a 99cent pair, and tie the two cut off legs(imagine cutoff shorts and you knot leg fabric together) together. The stretchy waist is perfect for covering a primary.

Back