You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KeyWestBrewing said:
When your with a buddy and meet one their friends for the first time and they go " oohh, your the guy that brews his own beer?!?!"

I get that all the time.. "so youre the brewer!" Makes me feel somewhat famous... haha

When your wife asks you what you would like for father's day and your reply is always brewing related.

When you are sitting on 15 gallons of brew that you cant drink because "its not ready yet...", but you still brew more.

When you crack your first gusher, go into an immediate depression while you search the Internet and HBT for ways to save the 24 bombers of otherwise delicious beer and get a response that says something to the effect of "don't worry, if it's just overcarbed and not infected, you can save the beer" and immediately the depression turns to elation because you are certain of your sanitation and you start clear the fridge (much to the annoyance of SWMBO) to start chilling the bombers so you can crack, let it sit for a while and re-cap.
That and cracking your first really good homebrew and knowing that you made it yourself.

davekippen said:
When you are sitting on 15 gallons of brew that you cant drink because "its not ready yet...", but you still brew more.

Uh yeah I have 20 gallons "not ready".

Everyone knows you brew your own beer & they keep stopping over. They make up excuses to stop over!

You have to stop telling people about your new brew. You already know its good, they know its good, you have to hide the brew to make sure you get any. You're bummed they already know where the keezer is, now you're gonna have to bottle some more to hide it.

When you HAVE to drink a beer to make sure it's ready. I mean, it's been 48 hours in the fridge and I need to see if it's properly carbed....Right?

When a buddy gives you empties and for some reason there are only 5 of each style. You think to yourself WTF where is the sixth bottle? Now my bottling will be all janky!

When you show people pictures of your kegerator before pictures of your kids

You describe your recently deceased dog as "started off assertive but had a mellow finish. Conditioned well with age. SRM about 34. One I'd make again to share with friends..."

...when there are soda bottles full of yeast in your fridge. And your wife almost drinks one.

When a buddy gives you empties and for some reason there are only 5 of each style. You think to yourself WTF where is the sixth bottle? Now my bottling will be all janky!

When you go back to his house and search out that last bottle to complete the 6 pack. Yeah, I did it. No OCD jokes please:cross:

NordeastBrewer77 said:
When you're taking a leak and the water in the pot is bubbling nicely, you think to yourself "I wonder what I've been drinking that's giving my pi$$ such great head retention!"

Funnily enough, really foamy piss (not just from hitting the water powerfully) and really foamy beer are caused by the same thing - proteins. Though it's actually a bad thing.

Funnily enough, really foamy piss (not just from hitting the water powerfully) and really foamy beer are caused by the same thing - proteins. Though it's actually a bad thing.

Yeah, I know.... it just cracked me up the other day when I thought that... and it was after a long long Friday night at the pub. :mug:

JeffoC6 said:
When you HAVE to drink a beer to make sure it's ready. I mean, it's been 48 hours in the fridge and I need to see if it's properly carbed....Right?

I brew on Tuesday's. 2 weeks + 2 days of carb= Thursday a.m.... Scheduled at work 3pm.. Coincidence? I think not!

In the garage. NBA Finals. 5 taps. 2 friends. 1/4 full water bottle (contents actually tequila) in front of a fan "jiggling". First thought... RED NECK STIR PLATE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar
when you start researching your next recipe while chilling the wort.
+1

that is way too late.

When you wonder why the girl scouts are selling lemonade out of a mashtun, and you don't even use a coolertun!

When you're stoked about opening a carbonated beer that's not flat, or blowing up in your face : D.

You read a veterinary pathology report that says the specific gravity of the urine was 1.025 and you think "That's a little high. Warm it up, give it a gentle swirl, and check again in a couple days."

LOVE IT!!!

Also... when you know from empirical evidence the average temperature in each of your closets & pantries (in different seasons) so you can choose which one best suits the requirements of your belgians and your brite tanks.

You notice that Taco Bell mild sauce is made from "yeast extract" and you wonder if you could harvest some and make a starter.

When your friends start placing orders for what beer you should bring to a party. 'I'd like some of the Cherry Stout you said was ready, and bring some of those Belgian Pale Ale's, those were awesome...'

And your response is to hug the beers closer to your body and protect them from the greedy hands that await... ;) and then wonder if it would be wrong to ask for a tip...

I kid. I love sharing my homebrew!!!

When your up late at night reading HBT, drinking a homebrew & realize this is your comp. room, movie room, beer room...& have to take a picture and post it on HBT

1339741321914.jpg

When you sniff your airlocks.

Err, scratch that... when you even HAVE airlocks.

(There are way too many posts here that go something like, "When you look at your fermentor and you...". I'm pretty sure you know you're a homebrewer if you so much as *have* a freaking fermentor. You can stop there.)

brewman243 said:
When your up late at night reading HBT, drinking a homebrew & realize this is your comp. room, movie room, beer room...& have to take a picture and post it on HBT

I have a similar room. My electric brewery and a commercial pot-washing sink take up one wall, my fermentation chamber, more brewery storage, and the door take up the second wall, a 55" tv and shelves are on the third wall, and my computer desk is up against the fourth wall, across from the door.

My brewery is still a work in progress, but since I have thousands of dollars in electronics nearby, I'm spending lots of extra money putting together a transfer manifold including 3 pumps, about 20 motor-actuated ball valves, and a control panel necessary to operate those valves, so that I don't have to constantly play around with hoses, eliminating the chance of not closing the correct valve before I disconnect a hose and possibly spray water or wort all over everything. I've done it in a kitchen before - high pressure tap water (directly off the 1/2" pipe!), but luckily no damage that time.

When every room in your house has become a beer room. Bottles (hundreds) , kegs (10) , buckets of water (20+) for brewing, buckets and sacks of grains (about 400-500# worth), freezers for hops (about 50#), refrigerators for washed yeast (a few dozen Mason jars), vacuum sealers, brewing books, recipe logs, Star San buckets and kegs, a few bins for "misc" (unused taps, airlocks, bottling stuff, bags, washers), gallon+ of Star San, big bag of PBW, Iodophor, keezer full of kegs, three refrigerators with brewing stuff in them, three c02 regulators and three c02 canisters, a bunch of commercial brews because you wanted to compare them to your home brew and for new brewing ideas, ...

1. You think the song "Suds in the Bucket" is about Star-San
2. In restaurants you order beer in bottles so you can smuggle them home.
3. Your grocery purchases are based on whether the container can be used to ferment and/or store homebrew
4. Half of your freezer is full of frozen water bottles for your swamp cooler
5. You make "midnight requisitions" for bottles at certain bars/restaurants in the dead of night.
6. You set up a baby monitor so you can hear the airlock bubbling from your bedroom:

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/n045.gif

Back