Fermenter about to blow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy35

Reaction score
I brewed up an Export Stout yesterday (1.059). Today I get home and the blow off tube is working as expected - about a bubble every 2 seconds.

However, my lid looks very convexted (new word?). I would expect this if the blow tube were clogged. When I push on the lid, more bubbles shoot up from forcing out the CO2. Is this normal?

If its bubbling....I doubt there is anything to worry about. And if you are worried, crack the seal on the lid a little to see if any pressure comes out....

You can break the seal on the lid and just place it loosly on top of the bucket until initial fermentation settles down in a day or two and then snap it back on... Just keep an eye on it and make sure krausen doesn't start sneaking it's way out and dripping down the side of the bucket......... OR, You could remove the airlock and fasten a blow off tube and clean or replace it every few hours.. Either method should work..

The blow off tube could be partially clogged if the lid is going dome shaped without making big fart sized bubbles.

The blow off tube could be partially clogged if the lid is going dome shaped without making big fart sized bubbles.

Very true. If it looks like it's building up too much pressure, swap out the tube or pull it and clean it. Mine do that sometimes because I use a small diameter tube with an adapter for the small gromets that come with buckets. I keep extra's around in case of clogs and just swap them out. It should start calming down in a few hours or so. Just keep a good eye on it until then.

Back