New Fermentator Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassassassin772

Reaction score
Question about a fermentation chamber. With a mini fridge used for the cooling portion during the summer, what should I use for the heating portion? Would a heat lamp set on a digital thermometer work?

bassassassin772 said:
Question about a fermentation chamber. With a mini fridge used for the cooling portion during the summer, what should I use for the heating portion? Would a heat lamp set on a digital thermometer work?

I use a chest freezer but for heating I found a small space heater for $10. 500W setting works great.

+1 on space heater. I use one like this.

41RZAEM330L._AA380_.jpg

i use a space heater connected to a temp controller in a spare bathroom this time of year.

I'm currently looking at different options for heating as well. At first, I was looking at reptile ceramic heat lamps, but that's nearing $50 for the lamp and bulb.

Space heaters are a cheaper option. My question for those of you with space heaters is which work better for you, wire coil heating fans or ceramic heaters?

I need to get ferm temps as high as 80F for some Belgian recipes coming up and want to purchase the right one the first time. I'm currently torn between these two items...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100669067&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-product-1-_-202025247-_-100669067-_-N&locStoreNum=4136

and...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202025247&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-product-2-_-100669067-_-202025247-_-N&locStoreNum=4136

My chamber heating space is 26"x31"x57", roughly 26.5 cubic ft.

I use the coil type so I can't comment on the ceramic. Either should be fine IMO. I think you should be able to hold 80F in that size chamber with either one.

Back