Second flavoring boil after cold break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed_brews_now

Reaction score
This is energy intensive, but I was thinking that after the cold break I would siphon off clear wort and bring the wort to pasteurization temperature (72 degrees C maybe 80 degrees) (not really a second boil) and maintain and add the aroma hops at this point. 20 mins. Then a rechill to ensure no bacterial growth.

Anyone tried this?

I would like to try getting hop flavor at a lower temperature. I don't want to boil off the oils.

I would just chill to the 72 or 80c add the hops, let it sit 20 min and then continue the chilling.

THe hops you are boiling (the usual 60 minute additions) are for bittering, not for aroma or flavor....then the ones later are for flavor...the hop aroma comes in those additions around the 5 minute to flame out, and in dry hopping. So you're not really "boiling away" the oils that you need, by doing it the way it's been done for as long as brewers have been making beer with hops. Or those that use hops in commercial breweries do (as opposed to hop oils) don't you think if THEY thought they were "boiling away the oils" they would have figured something like that out long ago?

I'm just sayin... ;)

Back