A stupid question about co2 and kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
SO I have everything now to keg. I ran sanitizer through the lines. When the co2 is filling up the corny, is it suppose to make a fairly loud hissing noise when the co2 is going in? Also, when I do set up the beer corny, Do I leave the co2 on 24/7? Or just when I am using it?

It will make a noise when it's filling up. It shouldn't sound like it's leaking out though.

Keep the co2 on while it's carbing, but then once carbed (a week or 2), you can shut it off until you need more to dispense (if you think you might have a co2 leak somewhere, especially)

Will it stop hissing once the co2 has reached the desired level of the keg, and just sit in the line until some is released?

Keep the co2 on while it's carbing, but then once carbed (a week or 2), you can shut it off until you need more to dispense (if you think you might have a co2 leak somewhere, especially)

I keep the CO2 on all the time. If your system is balanced and leak-free, I would recommend the same. Turning the CO2 on and off all the time is a PITA and might affect your carb level.

Yes, a leak free system is key, if you have a leak and you leave the CO2 on it will be gone in 24 hours. I leave my system on because I have made sure that I dont have any leaks. Spray some soapy water on the fittings to make sure you have no tiny leaks, any bubbles mean you have a leak. Redo the fitting and you should be good to go.

Like others have said, constant hissing for a while usually means you have a massive leak. It should hiss loudly at first but eventually slow down (like a minute or less), once pressure equalizes you should hear no sound at all until your pour a beer or two.

Okay so now the only noise I am hearing is from the corny keg itself. On the release valve, on the side of that there is a hole. It looks like the hole is suppose to be there. There is a little bit of air escaping there. Does that mean I have too much co2?

Okay so now the only noise I am hearing is from the corny keg itself. On the release valve, on the side of that there is a hole. It looks like the hole is suppose to be there. There is a little bit of air escaping there. Does that mean I have too much co2?

that thing shouldn't realease pressure on it's own until well in excess of 60PSI.. If you can, disassemble it, and put keglube on the rubber parts. if it is the kind that screws out with a ring, they are about $6
pressure%20relief%20italian%20copy_thumb.jpg

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=239

Back