Maris Otter DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jescholler

Reaction score
Anyone have an online source for Maris Otter DME? I've searched the forums and the net, but all I can find is LME.

Let me expand the question a bit. I'm looking for some ingredients for an English Pale Ale. I would like to use British ingredients (extract, crystal, maybe some other specialty grains), but I'm having trouble finding a source.

Any ideas?

I'm kind confused since most homebrew stores sell ESB kits, but don't carry the British ingredients. Am I being too picky? Would I be that far off if I used Muntons extract and American crystal?

Munton's is a British brand, and it's possible their extract includes Maris Otter, although I'd guess not. The big online vendors all seem to have Simpson's crystal, which is British. Still, for authenticity, I'd say it's important to use English hops and yeast that English extract.

Thanks for the help. I think I'll go with the Munton's. Midwest has that and some Simpson's crystal. Should be good.

One question regarding the Munton's spraymalt. It says in their knowledge base that you should use their special yeast with their spraymalt because of the complex sugars in the extract. Here's the exact Q & A:
-------
Q: Hello,
What is your opinion on adding 3lbs of plain extra light spray malt extract to your American Light style beer kit instead of using sugar?

A: I agree that this would be a good addition to your beer as it will add body and flavour to your final beer.
However you will need to use our premium gold yeast to help ferment the higher level of complex sugars when using the spraymalt.
------

That just sounds absurd to me. Tell me that my instincts are right and that their malt is really no more special than any other malt and their yeast is really no more special than any other yeast.

I feel a bit silly for asking.

They just want people to buy their yeast, methinks.

I've used a bunch of Munton's DME in past batches, and my Wyeast, White Labs yeast, and cultured from beer bottle yeast, all found it as tasty as any other malt.

I've used a bunch of Munton's DME in past batches, and my Wyeast, White Labs yeast, and cultured from beer bottle yeast, all found it as tasty as any other malt.

You haven't experienced any high terminal gravities due to using inferior yeast? :D

That just sounds absurd to me. Tell me that my instincts are right and that their malt is really no more special than any other malt and their yeast is really no more special than any other yeast.

Munton's malt might be no more special than other malts, but it's more complex that sugar or adjuncts. That's the comparison.

Munton's regular dry yeast is, arguably, worse than others. It doesn't work that well on all-malt beer. A lot of people have ragged on it here in the past.

If you want, go with Safale 04 or something.

Yeah I really dislike munton's yeast (I have not tried their premium stuff) it is just not meant to ferment an all-malt beer (which for most styles, is what you want to be fermenting)

If you want, go with Safale 04 or something.

I was thinking about Wyeast 1968 London ESB Ale.

Does anyone have a yeast comparison guide for Wyeast versus other dry yeasts? I've seen them for Wyeast and White Labs.

If not, how does S-04 differ from Wyeast 1968 (besides wet and dry)? Wyeast is very detailed in their description, but Safale is not.

Back