Holy ****, Cherry Wheat Carb'd after 1 week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewProject

Reaction score
ok, this is my second brew and based on the results of my first brew and it's carbonation after 1 week, before I popped the top on my Cherry Wheat, I tipped the bottle upside down twice.

maybe i shouldn't have...

beer came out of the bottle upon popping the flip top and the head was tremendous.

the good news, this beer TASTES GREAT!!! Nice Wheat beer with a pronounced Cherry taste and great carbonation... has a nice red hue to it, the picture doesn't show the red so much, but holding it up to the sunlight, it looks marvelous...

This one is not gonna last long... And based on the carbonation, I tempted to fridge some of this... :mug: :rockin:

What do you guys think?

dcam1759ce5.jpg

WOW :p

Exo, where are you brother, the cherry puree worked out GREAT!!!

I am betting you are gonna love your Apricot Hefe !!! :rockin:

Whats up with those advertisements????????? anyway......

Just let it sit for a couple more weeks! It'll get better with time. Even just a week and you will notice a huge difference.

HurricaneFloyd said:
Whats up with those advertisements????????? anyway......

Just let it sit for a couple more weeks! It'll get better with time. Even just a week and you will notice a huge difference.

i know that, this is for you
icon_fU.gif

it's all good, can i not advertise or what?

:drunk:
BrewProject said:
Exo, where are you brother, the cherry puree worked out GREAT!!!

I am betting you are gonna love your Apricot Hefe !!! :rockin:

At work bro! Lovely pic...except for that blasted Shiner Bock glass! How can you dis' the weisse like that? :rockin:

I'mma open one at 1wk as well. Probably keep it room-temp until 3wks then shove it in the basement. Haven't popped one yet, but HAVE thought about popping one daily.

Hopefully it's mellow enough for SWMBO...after all it's not called Boom-Boom Hefe for nothing!

Right now I'm on my one-beer buzz from my Ol' ManWinter Ale taste-testing...6.5% ABV...:drunk: on an almost empty stomach...

BrewProject said:
i know that, this is for you
icon_fU.gif

it's all good, can i not advertise or what?

No, I wasn't talking about your beer pic, i was talking about the Emu Oil advertisement at the bottom of the page.

HurricaneFloyd said:
No, I wasn't talking about your beer pic, i was talking about the Emu Oil advertisement at the bottom of the page.

my bad.... sorry

Exo said:

At work bro! Lovely pic...except for that blasted Shiner Bock glass! How can you dis' the weisse like that? :rockin:

I'mma open one at 1wk as well. Probably keep it room-temp until 3wks then shove it in the basement. Haven't popped one yet, but HAVE thought about popping one daily.

Hopefully it's mellow enough for SWMBO...after all it's not called Boom-Boom Hefe for nothing!

Right now I'm on my one-beer buzz from my Ol' ManWinter Ale taste-testing...6.5% ABV...:drunk: on an almost empty stomach...

sorry bout the Shiner Glass, i do need some clear ones...

My SWMBO loved the Cherry Wheat, even at room temp, that's gotta say something.

The only think disappointing about the Cherry Wheat is the 4.0% ABV, but i can live with it, since it tastes so good...

I will give them some more conditioning time as HurricaneFloyd suggested. I know it will only improve with time and the fact i tipped it over a few times before pouring added to the rather large head.

Here's to your Apricot Hefe, my Cherry Wheat and the Puree :mug:

Bottlewasher said:
Hey BrewProject,

Can I get the recipe for the cherry wheat? It looks and sounds great!

well you probably don't want it. i am still a beginner and have just done 4 brews. the last two were kits that i steeped grains, added DME or LME and hops. but the cherry wheat was just a very basic Coopers Wheat Kit in a can (pre hopped).

the key to the cherry however was some Oregon Cherry Puree... 3 lbs added to the secondary when racking...

i would say get someone else's Wheat Beer recipe or a kit and then add large can of Cherry puree when racking to your secondary...

but since you asked, and i know it's gonna let some of you down, here is what i used...

CoopersBrewmasterWheat.jpg

and

FL48.jpg

Hey thanks! It does seem that cherry puree is key from stuff i'm finding elsewhere on the net. I'm pretty amateur myself. My next batch will be my 4th.

I think we discussed our recipes and what would be done differently...

Basically my recipe would be to reduce the wheat extract to 3# and keep the honey at the same level. But I'm saying that without first tasting it...

Exo said:
I think we discussed our recipes and what would be done differently...

Basically my recipe would be to reduce the wheat extract to 3# and keep the honey at the same level. But I'm saying that without first tasting it...

just checked out your recipe again Exo...

i may try to brew that in the future...

these your steeping grains, correct?
1/2# Belgian Aromatic Malt
1/2# Flaked Wheat

i need to make sure my LHBS sells those...

also, your recipe called for 6# of Wheat extract. let us know what you think about using 6# or if your assumption of 3# is better.

Those were/are the steeping grains. I think the recipe would be good for any of us to drink...but the BMC or non-beer people might think it's to strong...we shall see!

BrewProject said:
This one is not gonna last long... And based on the carbonation, I tempted to fridge some of this... :mug: :rockin:

What do you guys think?
If you have that much carbonation after one week and only a 4% ABV, maybe you bottled too soon.

How long was this beer in the fermenter? What were your starting and finishing gravities?

Also,what was the purpose of tipping the bottle upside down? Most people take care to leave the sediment in the bottle.

ALPS said:
If you have that much carbonation after one week and only a 4% ABV, maybe you bottled too soon.

How long was this beer in the fermenter? What were your starting and finishing gravities?

Also,what was the purpose of tipping the bottle upside down? Most people take care to leave the sediment in the bottle.

10 days in the primary, 18 in the secondary. i didn't bottle too soon. i had extra time in the primary because i was waiting on my cherry puree to arrive. then a few extra days in the secondary waiting for a weekend to bottle.

OG 1.045, FG = 1.014

i tipped the bottle trying to activate some carbonation, since it was only in the bottle 1 week when i tried it.

i tried another later in the night without the tipping and the carbonation is not quite as pronounced as the picture indicates...

ALL is good !!!

Those numbers give a 68% attenuation. I got a 78% attenuation. My numbers were OG: 1.064 and FG: 1.013.

What yeast did you use again?

OK, I broke down and cracked one of mine open. I think the DFH 90min had something to do with it though! Liquid courage! I know better, but you gotta taste-test throughout the process right?

Only 5-days since bottling and there was some carbonation, but not a LOT. Hard to pick out the apricot notes due to the DFH90 delights just before tasting, but it definitely tastes like a wheat. Most definitely some banana and clove notes that should mellow well and I honestly think this will turn out to be a fine strong-weisse. I do taste a hint of diacetyl that is likely by-products of the priming sugars and yeast working on them at 75deg.

Do I think SWMBO will like it? Nope. More for me!

The most notable memory about this beer is that the room temp was 67, yet the ferment was so vigorous that the in-carboy temp rose to 76deg during full blow-off. That's some workin to get that much heat from byproducts.

ALPS said:
... Most people take care to leave the sediment in the bottle.

The yeast is often a desirable trait in a hefeweizen. It's not uncommon to roll the bottles on the bar/counter before they are served. MMmmm!!

Exo said:
OK, I broke down and cracked one of mine open. I think the DFH 90min had something to do with it though! Liquid courage! I know better, but you gotta taste-test throughout the process right?

Only 5-days since bottling and there was some carbonation, but not a LOT. Hard to pick out the apricot notes due to the DFH90 delights just before tasting, but it definitely tastes like a wheat. Most definitely some banana and clove notes that should mellow well and I honestly think this will turn out to be a fine strong-weisse. I do taste a hint of diacetyl that is likely by-products of the priming sugars and yeast working on them at 75deg.

Do I think SWMBO will like it? Nope. More for me!

The most notable memory about this beer is that the room temp was 67, yet the ferment was so vigorous that the in-carboy temp rose to 76deg during full blow-off. That's some workin to get that much heat from byproducts.

sounds like you will have a winner when it finishes :mug:

What are you guys calling carbonation? The head? Hell, you can shake water and get a quick head on it.;)

Carbonation is the cause of the CO2 gas bubbles. I didn't see one bubble in the picture.

Your brew's still green. Let it sit for another week or so.:mug:

homebrewer_99 said:
What are you guys calling carbonation? The head? Hell, you can shake water and get a quick head on it.;)

Carbonation is tha cause of the CO2 gas bubbles. I didn't see one bubble in the picture.

Your brew's still green. Let it sit for another week or so.:mug:

i agree it needs more time in the bottle. i would also agree that the beer actually needs more bubbles in it and not on top of it...

but those bubbles in the head just did not appear from out of thin air, they were released from the beer. is that not carbonation?

as i stated earlier this beer is much further along with carbonation than my first batch after 1 week in the bottle.

so you really can't see the 10,000 individual bubbles in the head? :D

my rapsberry i did with puree was very carbonated but left an awesome head retention thats for sure!! my cherry i did with extract and its really good too!!

BrewProject said:
i agree it needs more time in the bottle. i would also agree that the beer actually needs more bubbles in it and not on top of it...

but those bubbles in the head just did not appear from out of thin air, they were released from the beer. is that not carbonation?

as i stated earlier this beer is much further along with carbonation than my first batch after 1 week in the bottle.

so you really can't see the 10,000 individual bubbles in the head? :D
Bubbles can "appear" just by pouring the beer into a glass. How long did the bubbles last? Once the bubbles were gone did you have any carbonation left in the beer?

You have to allow the brew time to absorb the CO2 produced by the priming sugar and residual yeast. Pour a Sprite into a glass. Notice the bubbles INSIDE the beverage lasts a long time? That's carbonation...no head.;)

Your brew has some head and no carbonation. That's what I am referring to.

homebrewer_99 said:
Bubbles can "appear" just by pouring the beer into a glass. How long did the bubbles last? Once the bubbles were gone did you have any carbonation left in the beer?

You have to allow the brew time to absorb the CO2 produced by the priming sugar and residual yeast. Pour a Sprite into a glass. Notice the bubbles INSIDE the beverage lasts a long time? That's carbonation...no head.;)

Your brew has some head and no carbonation. That's what I am referring to.

well the head did not disappear immediately and i understood you about bubbles in the beer.

this cherry wheat could use some more carbonation, but it is well on it's way...

if the head is not the result of carbonation, are you telling me it's O2 trapped by the liquid when pouring?

again, i do understand your comments and agree with you that this beer needs some more bottle time, but that huge head that did not subside to quickly is a STRONG sign to me... And again, i did tip this bottle a couple of times before pouring, so the head is larger than it would have been otherwise...

thanks

BeerLuvnGrl said:
my rapsberry i did with puree was very carbonated but left an awesome head retention thats for sure!! my cherry i did with extract and its really good too!!

what extract did you used on your cherry?

Hey, drink em and often. It's important to know what stage your beer is at. Next time you crack your first "heavy" beer at 4wks and it does the same thing you'll know how much longer it will take to carb up.

Exo said:
Hey, drink em and often. It's important to know what stage your beer is at. Next time you crack your first "heavy" beer at 4wks and it does the same thing you'll know how much longer it will take to carb up.

good point Exo, i've got a Double Chocolate Stout in my secondary. OG was 1.070 :rockin:

When I racked it Saturday morning the SG was 1.024. 6.0% ABV.

My newbie experience tells me that the DC Stout is gonna drop another .003 to .005 on the hydrometer before bottling. I fully expect this beer to top out at about 6.5% ABV

It should be quite interesting in the near future, and periodic taste testing is a must... :tank:

BrewProject said:
well the head did not disappear immediately and i understood you about bubbles in the beer.

this cherry wheat could use some more carbonation, but it is well on it's way...

if the head is not the result of carbonation, are you telling me it's O2 trapped by the liquid when pouring?

again, i do understand your comments and agree with you that this beer needs some more bottle time, but that huge head that did not subside to quickly is a STRONG sign to me... And again, i did tip this bottle a couple of times before pouring, so the head is larger than it would have been otherwise...

thanks
Yes, the head is a result of carbonation, it's just that it hasn't been absorbed back into the liquid yet.

As for tipping the bottle...since it's a wheat just pour the beer into the glass and save the last inch or so. Then swirl the bottled beer a bit to raise the yeast from the bottom. Then pour the foam into the glass. Don't tip the bottle prior to pouring. You want to break up the yeast not have it in flakes floating around your beer.

homebrewer_99 said:
Yes, the head is a result of carbonation, it's just that it hasn't been absorbed back into the liquid yet.

As for tipping the bottle...since it's a wheat just pour the beer into the glass and save the last inch or so. Then swirl the bottled beer a bit to raise the yeast from the bottom. Then pour the foam into the glass. Don't tip the bottle prior to pouring. You want to break up the yeast not have it in flakes floating around your beer.

thanks man, sounds good to me...;)

BrewProject said:
what extract did you used on your cherry?

to be honest i dont know.. it was what my LHBS had.. i added about 1/4 of the package 3 days before bottling and then i tasted..wasnt cherry enough for me so i added the rest at bottling.. i like it.. i may have added a tad too much because it does have a little bite to it.. but its good!

BeerLuvnGrl said:
to be honest i dont know.. it was what my LHBS had.. i added about 1/4 of the package 3 days before bottling and then i tasted..wasnt cherry enough for me so i added the rest at bottling.. i like it.. i may have added a tad too much because it does have a little bite to it.. but its good!

well it's been 3 weeks in the bottle and i am trying a cold one now...

i think it actually taste better more at room temp. It's a fairly dark red beer that you can't see threw, thanks to the Cherry puree...

It's got a pretty strong cherry flavor to it, but not overpowering. Tastes more like a cherry wine cooler than a beer, if you ask me.

It is carbonated pretty nicely. Can get a good burp off of it after drinking some. :D

Believe it or not this is probably my least favorite of the three brews i have completely finished.

It's a keeper, but when I do another fruit wheat beer I will use a recipe, instead of the Coopers Extract Can...

I will post a picture of it a little later.

:mug:

Back