No + / - on heating element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockfordWhite

Reaction score
So in building my eHLT I just noticed that there are no positive or negative markers on the heating element... any suggestions?

Ok yeah i wasn't sure and didn't want to go hooking stuff up w/o any direction...

Not that it matters but are you using 110 VAC or 220 ? and what size elements are you using? I just love my electric HLT. What are you going to use to control the temps?
good luck w/ the build
JJ

110 VAC, since i don't have a 220 in my apartment, element size, i think it's like 12 in long and it's a 4500 watt. I'm controlling it w/ a love thermostat...

I still need to finalize it putting it together, i'm hoping to have it up and running for testing by next week. What do you use to stir it for consistent temps?

What do you use to stir it for consistent temps?

A stainless spoon... But I am in the process of building a stir bar.
I would be interested to see a 4500 watt element run @ 120VAC thats somewhere around 37 amps I dont have a calculator handy just an educated guess on amps. Are you doing 5 or 10 gallon batches?
JJ

If you're planning on running a 4500W element designed for a 220VAC circuit, you'll only get 1125W at 10A when you plug it into a 110VAC circuit.

If it's a 4500W element designed for 110VAC, you'll draw 41A, quickly tripping any household breaker.

I have a 120VAC 1500W element in my HLT/HERMS and it works great, I use a JC 419 to control the temps and a motorized stirrer.

It's designed for 220...i thought it was 4500... could be 5500... is that gonna trip my circuit breaker? Should i get a new element?

It's designed for 220...i thought it was 4500... could be 5500... is that gonna trip my circuit breaker? Should i get a new element?
Exactly as Yuri said, if you run a 220V element at 110V it will give you only 1/4 of the rated power. If it's designed for 4500W@220V it'll do 1125W@110V drawing 10A which is fine for average household breakers. But it's for you to decide if 1125W is going to be enough heat for your system.

Back