Help!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerguy76

Reaction score
Hi.. just started my first homebrew. Followed the package instructions but my gravities are way off. Suppossed to be between 1.044 an 1.048 and drop to 1.012 to 1.015. It ended up being 1.06(start) to 1.03. I havent bottled yet--afraid that I have a bad batch. Does anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks

When did you brew this?

I will be a few weeks between brewing and bottling. Typically the reason the gravity (OG) is off in extract batches is the wort is not sufficiently mixed before the reading was taken. (Don't mix after fermentation has started to avoid aeration) 1.03 is not ready to be bottled yet.

Relax and have a homebrew :)

It was a kit for english pale ale... the yeats was in the package, cant recall. It did take me awhile to cool the wort down

Thanks for the info... the recipe says 3-7days in the fermenter than bottle after adding priming sugar-- then wait another 3 weeks

Forget the instructions. Try to wait three weeks and then check the gravity. What kind of kit was it and what did you do with it or add to it?

#3 with a +1 on ignoring the instructions. Use 1-2-3 as a good rule of thumb:

1 week in the primary fermenter
2 weeks in the secondary fermenter
3 weeks in the bottle (@72*)

Don't have a secondary? Then it's just 3 in the primary and 3 in the bottle.

Note: You have a hydrometer. Don't bottle until it's at the target gravity (1.006-1.014)

beerguy76 said:
Thanks for the info-- does anyone know why the starting gravity was so high??

It probably actually wasn't really that high, a lot of beginning extract brewers don't sufficiently stir their boiled with their top off water...And that cause off readings....We've ALL done that at least once.;)

Best bet is to thoroughly stir/agitate the wort and water (which also oxyginates it for the yeasties), take a hydro reading, THEN pitch your yeast.

Back