2013 HBT Fantasy Baseball

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the benefit of this proposed format for you, a team that would only keep 2-3 players, would be that you could pick several times in a row (likely 3 straight picks of the best left) and then 3-4 times out of a total of ten or less picks. So, while there will be less high end talent, if you draft well, you could draft 7-8 times out of the first 15ish picks. That could really set you up well and allow you to pick high upside young talent a bit earlier in the draft than you would be able to otherwise. Last year I traded (despite the debacle) away keeper quality players for 8th round picks and drafted around 5-6 times in rounds 7-9 which really helped my team out this year.

I think this format would really help everyone.

For the record I vote for 9 keepers, just a few more than last year, but still shifts the drafting paradigm to a more interesting - and arguably better - style.

I see it from both points of view...as an original member, I don't want to "lose" players I could keep. I've racked my brain numerous times with trades, waiver and free agent acquisitions. I'd vote for 9 or keep it at 7 and Bump our rosters from 23 to 25. This would be a huge help but would require strategy as well as you'd have a deeper Bench to pull from. I also wish we could have 1-2 "prospect" slots...

I'm open to all of these suggestions. Increasing the keepers, extending the roster and opening up prospect (NA to be specific) slot, etc.

So long as no one is seriously put off by it, it's something we can certainly do for next season.

This is out league and I think we need to test out these things as they come up to keep us interested and motivated.

And you're right Dave. I'm not going to push any deals through again in such short notice again. The only thing I'll step in on is if someone drops a player or accepts a real in error.

Lastly, I'd really like it if Harvey didn't need Tommy John surgery. They would be greaaaat.

Could my team possibly be more AVERAGE?!?!?! For 22 weeks, I win a week, lose a week. EVERY week. I am now 11-11. I am ready for a draft to re-set this thing! I guess it's better than being last but, I couldn't pick a more average team if I tried!

Congratulations to all of you who have advanced to the playoffs!

Remember that the winner gets a year's free membership and a set of HBT pint glasses!

Yes.
;)
You do make a handsome woman though. There's your consolation prize.

I would wish you luck this week Johnny, but it looks like you already have that down. Gio put up 46.9 of your team's 68.9 points (68% of your point total...). My pitching has been atrocious all year - I'm hoping next year to get more out of my starters than this year. I'm not a big fan of expanding on the number of keepers; I think 5 - 6 is more than enough.

WildGingerBrewing said:
I guess it's better than being last!

Hey! What's wrong with last??!! Oh, I'm not last....Wait, I am tied for last....Damn!

Anyway...Y'all will all be wanting my early draft picks next year....Think I'll trade for them????

Yes.
;)
You do make a handsome woman though. There's your consolation prize.
Ass. And yes I do! hahaha
Hey! What's wrong with last??!! Oh, I'm not last....Wait, I am tied for last....Damn!

Anyway...Y'all will all be wanting my early draft picks next year....Think I'll trade for them????
At least you have a partner in the cellar! ha

Well I won on a complete tie. I guess higher seed moves on. Great week bastardos.

If it makes you feel any better, today is my birthday.

Dave

Stupid batter/game limits.....

Something I find odd.....All of a sudden, I am getting warnings and reaching game/batter limits. Same thing happened last year around this time. Is there a lower weekly limit during the playoffs.

[Please note: The outcomes of my games have not been effected. My team sucks....But I don't really care beyond a minute or so of checking the scores.]

Final week! Congrats to BoSox Dave and Carson Urban Achievers for making it to the championship!!

It's been a fun year everyone, and I think we have everyone intact at the end of the season. No deadbeats this year!!! Woo hoo for small victories!

I have enjoyed playing this year and look forward to next year. Especially since this is probably the last year for my other league! So tell me how off season works. Is the league still "open" in the off-season? Can you make trades during off-season?

I have enjoyed playing this year and look forward to next year. Especially since this is probably the last year for my other league! So tell me how off season works. Is the league still "open" in the off-season? Can you make trades during off-season?

We don't have a trade or transaction deadline, so off season deals are welcome. You can also trade for draft picks. (To repeat, I will not be forcing through any last minute deals before the draft again. Too many easily-sanded panties out there)

One more thing....why am I playing the same team I played last week in a playoff bracket?

No idea. They probably care as much about those in the consolation bracket as most of the people in the consolation bracket do.

That said, we have an absolute SLUGFEST going on between BoSox Dave and Carson Urban Achievers. Fun to watch!!

How do you trade for draft picks? Is there a drafting order already set? When are "no trades" and keepers named?

Draft order is not set until an hour before the draft. Keepers are named whenever the team owner chooses to do so, and (I believe) needs to be set an hour before the draft.

Not sure what you mean by "no trades". All players remain on your roster until an hour before the draft, not just your keepers. It's not like everyone but your keepers gets dropped and it's a free for all in the offseason.

I, for one, would like to freeze offseason signings at the end of the world series, and save exciting signings for draft day. It sucks when you hear about a new phenom, like an upcoming Cuban defector, added to the player pool in January, and someone snatches him up then, rather than have him in the pool for draft day.

It's something I may pull the trigger on if there isn't much debate.

Ive never played in a league with keepers so im not sure how this works. Prior to the draft, everyone i didnt "keep" is added back to the draft pool? But prior to that, i can trade and drop and add as i see fit, as long as i have set my keepers 1 hour prior to draft? And what i meant by "no trades" is that i have a coue of players that are listed as "no trade". When i add a player and need to drop one to make room, certain players have this next to their name. Have i missed something?

Sorry. Not "no trade". It says "cant drop".

Edit: A little more research and I have answered my own question. "Can't drop" is an ESPN setting and apparently has nothing to with our settings.

We don't have a trade or transaction deadline, so off season deals are welcome. You can also trade for draft picks. (To repeat, I will not be forcing through any last minute deals before the draft again. Too many easily-sanded panties out there)

No idea. They probably care as much about those in the consolation bracket as most of the people in the consolation bracket do.

That said, we have an absolute SLUGFEST going on between BoSox Dave and Carson Urban Achievers. Fun to watch!!

Agreed on the last minute trade.

What a championship game. Will it come down to errors and dps turned?!

Great season. I am already looking forward to next year. Also I agree on locking drops/adds starting after this weekend or whenever until after the draft. As long as trades are available.

Dave

What a season! Congrats to BoSox Dave. All of the final games came down to the very last innings. Even my match with Bastardos was a minimal point difference, back and forth, all the way to the end. It's been a fun year and I look forward to next year.

Congratulations to BoSox Dave with his unseating of Carson Urban Achievers in this year's league! It was an impressive championship series this past week, with both teams going neck and neck up until the final days. It was fun to watch!

Dave, I'll forward your information over to TxBrew this week and inform him that you're our champion this year. You should receive a year's membership to HBT along with a set of pint glasses.

Thanks everyone for making this year a lot of fun to play. It was a great year with good participation. Hope some of it carries into this offseason with some wheeling and dealing.
Just looked into the possible locking of waiver deals in the offseason, and I'm unable to adjust that setting currently, so the discussion might be moot.

Thanks for the congrats.

Johnny, can you just state that after a certain point in the offseason that you will counteract any waiver claims/free agent claims?

Dave

They go into the pool at the beginning of the draft.

Dave, I should be able to veto waiver claims in the offseason, but I'm not sure. I also need to speak with Othon on this issue as co-GM to get his input and perspective.

Hang on. So we have no way of knowing which players are going to be in the draft until right up before the draft?? How is one supposed to prepare and set an order of picks if one doesnt know who is available???? Doesnt make sense to me. And for what its worth, if the draft pool is uknown and yiu can only set keepers, whats the point of trades prior to the draft? If they are not listed as a keeper, they go into the pool anyway. Maybe its because ive never drafter in this league, but it sounds a little confusing.

You trade for someone who YOU would set as a keeper. If someone doesn't have them as a keeper, they would go into the draft pool. Trading for them keeps them out of that pool.
You can check to see who is listed as a keeper through a link on the main league page entitled Keepers. Many don't set their keepers until a little before the draft though.

Would it be nice to see who is in the pool prior to the draft, sure. However, it's not how the site works.

Some of the site functionality is shut down right now, likely because the season just ended, so I'm unable to adjust settings like the # of keepers. Hoping it opens back up soon. If not, it might not be until Spring Training rolls around. Not a big deal.

You trade for someone who YOU would set as a keeper. If someone doesn't have them as a keeper, they would go into the draft pool. Trading for them keeps them out of that pool.
You can check to see who is listed as a keeper through a link on the main league page entitled Keepers. Many don't set their keepers until a little before the draft though.

Would it be nice to see who is in the pool prior to the draft, sure. However, it's not how the site works.

I can't find a link for keepers of any team other than mine.

I vote to keep (or reduce) the number of keepers as is.

Nope! Must be gone due to off-season?

Nope. Right above your list of players to choose your keepers, there is a grey box with four lines of text or so. There should be a link to View League Keepers.

I don't think that this is something that only the GM can see.

I don't think we can see that, Johnny.

As for the draft pool, the idea of trades is that you don't know if someone is going to keep a player or not. If you want that player, it behooves you to trade for him (usually for a pick) and make sure that you get them, then you set them as your keeper.

Not knowing a draft pool is only relevant because you can't know who other people are keeping until that moment. It really does not negatively affect the draft, unless you can't show, and you really ought to show. It is usually a good time.

Dave

Interesting. I thought everyone could see that.
Anyway, there are only 3-4 teams that have selected their Keepers, myself included. I'm probably going to make some changes to mine before we draft next Spring.

Do I keep Gio? Are there better alternatives out there now?
Is Harvey pitching next season? He likes to think so.
Is Reyes still a keeper? Should I go with Andrelton Simmons instead? He was one of my biggest point earners.

I guess you are the only one that can see it afterall.

I have no problems with the way it is. With my previous league, I could spend days or weeks researching the players I want and put a list together so that when it is my turn to pick, I already know who I want and why. My point was that without knowing who is available, there is really no way to put together a true list of potential draftees. I have set my keepers, but that will change numerous times before draft day, in 6 months! haha

Back