Working on a stout recipe. Please help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lushife

Reaction score
So I wanna try a stout for my first AG brew. After reading some other recipes, malt descriptions, and my experience this is what I came up with.

10# Maris otter
1.5# Aromatic
1# Special B
0.5# chocolate
For hops I'm thinking about using either Phoenix or pilgrim to bitter
And 1 oz fuggle at 30 minute
1 oz fuggle at 10 minutes
For yeast I'm thinking White Labs 002
I also need help with what temp to mass at, I plan on doing an infusion, to get a little bit of sweetness.
Thanks

That's a lot of Aromatic, a whole lot of Special B, not much chocolate, and a terrifying lack of Roasted Barley and/or Black Patent. I'd go with .5-1 Aromatic, .25-.5 Special B, and 1-2 choc/roasted/black patent. Mashing at 155-158 will give you more body and sweetness. You can add maybe 1/2lb mid-crystal (40-70) if you want more sweetness. 002 should help leave your beer on the sweet/thick side as well.

Should I just up the Chocolate or should I add a mix of chocolate and black patent?

Keep it simple. Three ingredients for your first all grain. Go with Marris otter, Roasted Barley, and flaked wheat or barley. Ray Daniels states that you can make an excellent beer from just those three. Go with one addition of hops at 60 minutes maybe one at 20. Fuggles would be fine for either addition.

BrewingViking said:
Add around a pound of roasted barley and you have a stout. Otherwise you have a porter.

Are you saying I should keep everything about the same just add roasted barley?

Are you saying I should keep everything about the same just add roasted barley?

Honestly. I'd say go with it just to experiment. But if it was me i'd drop the aromatic and special b alittle. They're going to make it really sweet at those amounts. But the biggest thing about a stout is roasted barley.

Back