Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone explain what "efficiency" is and give me an example of it?

A short answer is that the term efficiency is typically used to describe how much sugar a brewer is getting out of their grain. Most base grains, for example, will yield a specific gravity of 1.036 (edit: 1.036 or sooo)per gallon per pound of grain. If this number is used as 100% then a brewer can figure that he is getting 80% efficiency if he is able to get 1.0288 per gallon per pound of grain.

The term is used to describe both mash efficiency (numbers after mashing, pre-boil) and brewhouse efficiency (numbers of wort in fermenter). Hope that helps.

bobbrewedit said:
A short answer is that the term efficiency is typically used to describe how much sugar a brewer is getting out of their grain. Most base grains, for example, will yield a specific gravity of 1.036 (edit: 1.036 or sooo)per gallon per pound of grain. If this number is used as 100% then a brewer can figure that he is getting 80% efficiency if he is able to get 1.0288 per gallon per pound of grain.

The term is used to describe both mash efficiency (numbers after mashing, pre-boil) and brewhouse efficiency (numbers of wort in fermenter). Hope that helps.

That helps a lot! Thanks for the quick response

In deciding what to buy for my brewing setup, I have begun to think more about what piece of gear that will best reduce the time, resources or waste in my process. I am starting to look at time, water, fuel, electricity, cleaning agents...

I'd like to know what my real per-bottle costs are from start to finish. Does anybody have a master list of what to quantify?

Back