Speidel Plastic Tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered the 7 gal. back in September, still haven't received anything. As an FYI to everyone, I emailed Morebeer yesterday, they said that they're expecting to receive a shipment this week and will send them out when they get them.

I placed an order last weekend for three of the 60L, supposedly I am also on the December list. Hope that's the case.

I called yesterday and was told that the November shipment is due in the store this week and will go out ASAP.

:( really want my 60L for this next batch....

I was told the same thing but I ordered in October and my shipment was supposed to be here a couple weeks ago. They told me Hurrican Sandy must have slowed down the shippment. Don't hold your breath.

2 of my 5 30L showed up yesterday. I'm happy yet disappointed at the same time. I getting the feeling they didn't have enough. I get 2 to have fun with atleast though :D

Just ordered two 15.9s. I'm outta the country until late summer. I hope they show up before I get back. SWMBO will not be pleased;)

I think those look good for plastic. They are cheap compared to glass...I mean we've all dropped at least one on accident, or might in the future.

Carboy brushes wear out often. The cost of the unit could pay for itself. Also it looks like you could simple fill the thing with water and shake it like heck to clean it after a brew. I'm sold. I'll be getting one soon :)

It sounds like some are going out. Still none here. Ordered on 10/11.

Had to do another batch in glass. Not the worst situation, but I'd like to move up to the 10 gallon batches and not being so concerned with head space on my big 5 gallon beers.

has anyone added a thermowell to one of these?

The top is threaded as the same size as the spout so i'm sure its quite possible. I ordered 2 extra spots myself 1 to lightly pump co2 in the top as I transfer and another for modding / tinkering. I'm in southern California so i'm going to be doing all my fermenting in a modded freezer so a thermowell is not in the works for the one to mod, sorry. In fact I don't know what i'm going to do with the extra one yet. I just wanted one on hand in case I come up with something.

Also I received my 3 other fermenters, the guy packing them goofed up. They were supper nice and even fallowed up with me. Cant beat that kind of customer service.

All 5 are ready to go, and i'm going to try and fill them all this weekend :ban:

EchoTony said:
It sounds like some are going out. Still none here. Ordered on 10/11.

Had to do another batch in glass. Not the worst situation, but I'd like to move up to the 10 gallon batches and not being so concerned with head space on my big 5 gallon beers.

In the interim you could always get these 13 gal "barrels" off of eBay. They're $20 + 16 shipping, but you can combine shipping on two. My first batch seems to have fermented fine.

Sure as heck not the same quality as speidel, but it'll get you to 10 gal while you wait.

image-3983981358.jpg

image-3614308912.jpg

I have a 14g barrel with lid and metal clamp-ring that I got from ebay (HDPE 2, food grade) for $27 shipped. Fermented 3 batches so far. No handles is the caveat, though.

I like those plastic bucket ideas fellas. I'm considering this one for 10 gallon batches:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026GO5CA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Seems like it would be simple to add a spigot and airlock to. I already have a stopper with a thermowell in it; I could drill a hole in the lid for that too.

It looks like this is NOT a good idea. Just a quick read, but it says, in all caps, NO FREE LIQUIDS. To me that means it would NOT be a good idea to ferment in. It looks like it is for the containment of a carboy, in case of a spil I guess. Maybe look for a HDPE Food grade plastic type container.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like this is NOT a good idea. Just a quick read, but it says, in all caps, NO FREE LIQUIDS. To me that means it would NOT be a good idea to ferment in. It looks like it is for the containment of a carboy, in case of a spil I guess. Maybe look for a HDPE Food grade plastic type container.

I think that is in relation to hazardous materials? It also says "food grade quality" and meets packing groups 1, 2 and 3 - which sound like heavy stuff haha. http://www.ncsu.edu/ehs/dot/packing_groups.html

Anyone else have input?

^ Ttue, as I read it, it looks like its made to store Haz-Mat, in case of a spill or breech. So, I may work for fermenting. Dont see why not I guess.

All I will add is the only time I've ever had infections in my beer has been when I've used fermenters with spigots.

It just seems to be next to impossible to properly sanitize the spigot prior to secondary/bottling bucket transfer.

I would spray PBW in there, StarSan, you name it. When it's hooked up to the fermenter, you just can't get the thing properly sanitized if you want to use the spigot instead of an auto-siphon.

Perhaps this was because I was using the spigot during fermentation to pull samples for gravity readings, leaving some attractive sweetness in there for wild yeast/bacteria (even though I'd spray it with StarSan after taking a sample) but either way - be extra careful if you use the spigot to transfer your beer to a secondary/priming tank rather than an auto-siphon.

While I await my January shipment of the 60L model I have to say, your spigot statement is lame. I've been using spigots on my primary buckets for years. Documented and all. I'm going to retire my oldest bucket with spigot in January and grow potatoes in it. The bucket was my second bucket used and has been in service with same spigot for 6 years.

My only infection was in a carboy with a racking cane I still use (less often) today.

If you had spigot infection issues you need to go back and look at your cleaning and sanitation process.

Its not the plastic, its how you clean it and care for your precious beer holding containers. I've even seen infections in SS conicals (but I don't own any of them) too.

Can some one get a better picture of the spigot setup on the inside?

Will I need to make a new dip tube or is there some sort of yeast settling bumps in there so one does not need a dip tube as in a bucket setup?

I haven't had any issues with spigots, either (used my speidel twice and a bucket with spigot once). I just shot some starsan into and all over the spigot after I filled the speidel, then covered it up with aluminum foil held on with a tight rubber band. I personally wouldn't use the spigot to pull samples. I think that would definitely increase the risk of something growing in there.

Anybody know how deep the trub containment is? I'm looking at the 7.9. Do you waste a lot or suck up junk when transferring?

I've bottled straight out of my 7.9, and haven't had any issues. There may be a little in the nozzle that comes out in the first second or two, but otherwise it's fine.

I'm just waiting for the tax return, too get a pair of these. The 31 gallon ferm would get a little heavy full. LOL

Mine came last week and so far I'm very happy with it. :rockin: For those of you with the 30L/7.8 gal version, what are you using as a fermentation chamber? I have a nucool minifridge and it just barely fits after hacking off most of the door and using a blowoff tube. Does anyone use a minifridge chamber (maybe with a collar) that clears the stock airlock? Thanks!

Mine came last week and so far I'm very happy with it. :rockin: For those of you with the 30L/7.8 gal version, what are you using as a fermentation chamber? I have a nucool minifridge and it just barely fits after hacking off most of the door and using a blowoff tube. Does anyone use a minifridge chamber (maybe with a collar) that clears the stock airlock? Thanks!

I don't know if you saw a post I made earlier but I used a spigot on the top for a low-profile blow off tube set-up.

Like this
dsc0240rk.jpg

I realize you're using a different size, but I imagine this would still work. I've got the 60L in a 5cuft chest freezer. Tight fit, but it does fit.

I did see that - thanks for posting. I'm using that set up now, but I'm having some issues with my nucool (peltier coolers) so I'm contemplating switching to a compressor-type mini-fridge with a collar, and was just wondering if anyone has any recommendation.

I am bottling straight from a speidel 30l FV. When I sanitise the FV I run starsan thru the spigot for a minute or so. When I bottle 2 weeks later I spray starsan all over the spigot and inside too ie spray upwards. That's all that is needed.

I got an email update from MoreBeer on Speidel fermenters:

We're writing to provide you with an update on our current order of Speidel plastic fermenters. While our original ETA was December, it looks as though the current shipment from Germany has been delayed, and we'll be receiving these closer to February.

We're certainly happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have, but please note that our customer service team does not have an updated ETA other than early-mid February.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, but ensure you we're working on getting these fermenters in as soon as possible. We thank you for your patience and understanding.

I am bottling straight from a speidel 30l FV. When I sanitise the FV I run starsan thru the spigot for a minute or so. When I bottle 2 weeks later I spray starsan all over the spigot and inside too ie spray upwards. That's all that is needed.

I have been bottling this way for over a year. I disassemble the spigot assy and clean and sanitize before attaching and filling the Speidel. I then spray the spigot with sanitizer, soak a small piece of paper towel in sanitizer and twist it up into the spigot with a bit outside of it. I then sanitize a small piece of aluminum foil and form it around the spigot. When bottling time comes I remove the foil, the piece of paper towel and spray some sanitizer on the spigot before proceeding to bottle directly. Its easier and quicker than it sounds and so far so good.

I also see mention regarding the availability of the Speidel units from More Beer. This last batch lasted longer than the previous batches so that is a plus. But like I mentioned in a prev post, if you want one when they do become available just be quick to order one and you should be ok. Those that procrastinate......sometimes lose out.:ban:

I've bottled straight out of my 7.9, and haven't had any issues. There may be a little in the nozzle that comes out in the first second or two, but otherwise it's fine.

I always figure on that 'little' and let it run into a glass. Usually don't amount to much and then all is relatively clear. I let the glass sit a bit and usually sample the top 3/4 of it and toss the rest. Gets my hopes up for how good the batch might end up. :ban:

Anybody know how deep the trub containment is? I'm looking at the 7.9. Do you waste a lot or suck up junk when transferring?

Not a big problem. The tap will stop flowing before you reach the thick trub. If you must you can squeeze every last drop out by tilting the mostly empty fermenter but you will have to be fast to stop before the gunk starts coming out into your bottle. If you plan to harvest the yeast that last bit of liquid on top of the trub seems about rite for a swirl and dump into yeast containers for further washing. At least that is what I have been doing.

I received an email last night from More Beer the 60L have been pushed out to Feb now.
Looks like I will go ahead and put my first 10 gallon batch into 2 fermentors I do not feel like waiting.

I always figure on that 'little' and let it run into a glass. Usually don't amount to much and then all is relatively clear. I let the glass sit a bit and usually sample the top 3/4 of it and toss the rest. Gets my hopes up for how good the batch might end up. :ban:

I do the same thing. I've fermented ~12 beers or so with it (Mostly APA, IPA, and Dubbels) and the only time I've run into a trub problem was with a big DIPA. I had to run it through a stainless steel filter that attaches to the end of my racking tube to catch it all. Other than that, I've never had any issues except the initial little bit that is in the spigot to start.

Got my 20L but not the 60L. Getting a bit miffed on this, as I ordered back in September and have been promised over and over that my order will be filled in the next shipment only to not have it happen.

Just got a reply to my inquiry on what's up:

"I am very sorry that we were unable to include the
60L as part of the shipment. Sadly, Speidel shorted our shipment (without
notifying us) by over a hundred fermenters. We will be shipping the 60L
fermenter as part of our next Speidel shipment which is now due to arrive in
late January/early February. This delay is also through Speidel and
unfortunately it outside of our control. I again apologize for the trouble.
Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns, I will do all I
can to help. "

Hope this helps anyone else looking for info.

I guess 10 gallon batches will have to wait. :mug:

Anyone receive theirs from the January/February shipment yet? My order says "Being picked", but it's had that status for at least a week. Waiting in MoreBeer Purgatory...

Just a word to ease somebody mind: I live in Spain, and even here (EU and a lot closer to Germany) the items are backorderer from Speidel, yu gt to think in around a month or so... just think about sending it overseas, cuustoms, etc, etc, etc and the fact that they are going to ship containers and not a couple of tanks, it is hard but jus sit back and don´t worry it is a matter of patience, even for us on the other side of the Atlantic

[/QUOTE]

I used my Speidel tanks for the first time this weekend only I had the threads facing down when I inserted the airlock, is that a problem?

Back