Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalbrewer1796

Reaction score
Ya very early in the fermentation but I opened my chocolate stout and it's has a w
Rotten vegi smell. I was very sanitary like usual. Do stout have this horrible smell at first

socalbrewer1796 said:
Ya very early in the fermentation but I opened my chocolate stout and it's has a w
Rotten vegi smell. I was very sanitary like usual. Do stout have this horrible smell at first

What yeast did you use? Some yeast "farts" can be pretty foul smelling early on. Likely nothing to worry about.

It depends on the yeast and the temperature you ferment at. While it could be an infection, it isn't very likely.

I used wlp001 California ale yeast. I'm fermenting at 70 in a fridge. I also added coffee to the mash

Fermentation is nasty and funktacular. Not sometimes, most of the time. If your beer didn't smell and look funky early on in fermentation, I'd worry. From what you have described everything is normal EXCEPT for the fact that you need to leave it alone and stop opening the fermentor to check on it....that is more likely to mess up your beer than the awesome funkitude you are describing. LET IT DO IT'S THING!!!

+1 to nothing good coming from opening a fermenter

Rotten veggie smell is DMS. The most common cause is not boiling vigorously or covering the pot while boiling. You can also get some from not cooling the wort quickly or an infection.

On the plus side, a strong fermentation will drive off remaining DMS. That is what you are smelling. The CO2 is driving the DMS out of solution and it is drifted off into the room. If it is in the room, it isn't in your beer - so that is good thing.

Back