First all grain brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterock

Reaction score
Rookie brewer here. I have only done one batch as of yet (a extract with added Muntons and cascade hops) I'm looking to do a full grain brew. I only have the bare essentials (5gal brew pot,6gal primary,extra carboy, and all other tools needed) Now the real question. I LOVE ALL beer, but I want to make my own. I'm looking to make a 5gal ALE or IPA or even IIPA batch. What ingredients do I need? How much grain,hops,etc I know this is a very vague question but there must be some sort of starting point. 3lbs of grain and 2-4oz of hops?

thanks,

Pete

Have you looked in the Recipe section? There should be plenty of ideas in there. Good luck with the brew!

Rookie brewer here. I have only done one batch as of yet (a extract with added Muntons and cascade hops) I'm looking to do a full grain brew. I only have the bare essentials (5gal brew pot,6gal primary,extra carboy, and all other tools needed) Now the real question. I LOVE ALL beer, but I want to make my own. I'm looking to make a 5gal ALE or IPA or even IIPA batch. What ingredients do I need? How much grain,hops,etc I know this is a very vague question but there must be some sort of starting point. 3lbs of grain and 2-4oz of hops? . . .

Well it depends on what brew you want to make of course, The grain bill for a batch of beer pong tournament beer will be a lot less than the bill for a evening sipping barley wine. You should stay simple for your first all grain however maybe a blonde ale or amber of some sort, depends what you like.

Also you are going to need to add a mash tun to your "bare essentials" of equipment.

Keep on brewing my friend:mug:

Speaking loosely, you will need 8-12 pounds of crushed grain. 2-4 oz of hops is a good general number for the styles you stated, but the amount of alpha acids really dictate weight needed (and their intended use). To do all grain, you will also want the ability to do a full boil. Early on I accomplished this by using two 4 gallon kettles. Have you thought about where you are going to mash? That 5G kettle will work for mash tun if you do what I believe they are calling the BIAB (brew in a bag) technique. Otherwise there is always partial mash. Partial mash seems to get some negative press, but to be quite frank, I enjoyed it for several years. It required less equipment and really allowed me to work on my recipe construction skills.

I suggest doing a search for BIAB or Partial Mash and making some decisions from there as you will have to purchase/modify your equipment/methodology somewhat.

Good luck!

Back