Dorm fridge for lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I am going to be converting an old dorm fridge so that I can start making lagers.

So far I have removed the built in "thermostat" and taken the extra shelving stuff off the door. I plan to hook a new (possibly digital) thermostat up to the wiring that was being run through the old "thermostat." I can't seem to locate my multimeter so I don't know what the voltage is. Does any one have any idea, is it 120? I am think it is less, but I am not sure, I guess I will borrow a multimeter from work or buy a new one.

Does anyone see any problems in this design? I know there will be a bit of a temperature gradient so I am thinking of adding a fan for better convection.

Dude,

Why not just buy a temp controller and make life easy on you? All you have to do is plug the fridge in to the controller, and it makes the temp right.

I am using a dorm fridge for my temp contrl chamber and it works well.

Sean

I wasn't aware of this option...I am new at this...can you recommend a variety?

Thanks!!

I converted an old dorm fridge to a Keg-o-rater and an lagering fridge. It is 120v, and I hooked a Jonson temperature control unit on to it. It worked great until I tried to get my carboy into it with a standard air lock. I did the stupid thing, instead of just running a blow off tube as an air lock, I bent the heat exchanger so it was against the back of the fridge...bad Idea. I must have crimped the line because all i get now is a warm refer with an Ice chunk where I bent the line! :(
P1010083.jpg
P1010082.jpg

Easiest way is to use the temp controller like sean said. Wirenut the two t-stat leads together and use the controller. Otherwise if you want to put in a new t-stat you'll want one rated for 120v.

If the lines were 120V I was planning on buying a relay and running the t-stat on 12VDC along with a fan. But I will look into these temperature controllers.

BTW, Do you just plug into the wall or have you used the wiring in the fridge?

Latest posts

Back