Shaken Carboy???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roggae

Reaction score
is it ok to shake up your carboy in the secondary? i have an apricot pale ale sitting on apricot puree, is it ok to swirlt this bad boy up once in a while?

thanks

:mug:

It should be fine because it should be filled with CO2 from fermenting so you don't have to worry about Oxygen. But I am sure there is smarter people out there then me that know a reason not to.

Well, yeah, it's okay to...but part of the reason for secondary is clarification. Swirling it up does the opposite. SO, it's up to you...

Evan! said:
Well, yeah, it's okay to...but part of the reason for secondary is clarification. Swirling it up does the opposite. SO, it's up to you...

actually the idea of the secondary was to get the apricot puree to saturate the beer. is a tertiary fermentation in order? thanks for the help folks!

Since you added the fruit after racking from the primary, you actually are in a secondary fermentation. Swirling isn't really necessary, but it won't hurt. Let it sit for a week before racking to the clearing tank and then give it two weeks before bottling.

david_42 said:
Since you added the fruit after racking from the primary, you actually are in a secondary fermentation. Swirling isn't really necessary, but it won't hurt. Let it sit for a week before racking to the clearing tank and then give it two weeks before bottling.

excellent....thank you

Back