Procedure for starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold_Steel

Reaction score
Ok so I made a 1000ml 500wl starter. Its been going for 3 days. Now I am going to upgrade it to the 5 gallon starter. Lets say that part is done and here is my next question.
How do I pitch it? Do I wait and let it settle out? Do i put it in the fridge to let it settle out? I dont want to put all the liquid into the wort. right
thanks guys.

I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you going to make a 5 gallon starter or a starter for a 5 gallon batch? Anyway the thing to do is cool it in the fridge and pour off the liquid on the top and pitch the slurry.

+1. I think that's what you're saying. Chill the starter to settle out the yeast, decant the spent starter wort, and pitch the correct amount of slurry.

Bob

He's making his 80 gallon batch or whatever it is....humungo. :ban:

Regardless, a starter is just like making beer. To make a 5 gallon starter is the same as making a 5 gallon batch of beer, (in fact, most would just make the beer itself to not waste the DME, but whatever). Crash your yeast if you like, (I don't), decant, pour slurry into 5 gallon batch.

Back