Leaking Poppets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealperkins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It seems to me that I'm getting more and more poppets (gas and beer) that are leaking...dunno why. I clean both sides at each use. Today I discovered that I'd lost a half gallon of barleywine to a slow leak...dang!

I'm wondering if a little keg lube would contribute to better seating and sealing??

Or, what do you suggest.

I've had a couple that would leak. I had to take out the poppet and clean the o-ring. They were full of gunk. I do use keg lube on all the o-rings each time I clean and refill.

I've got a couple that don't "pop" back up when I take off the QD, but don't leak when they are on the QD. If it's leaking while it's hooked up, I'd take it all apart and check it out. The rubber part on the poppit might be gunked up, as blender said, or maybe torn or something. Some lube does help keep it supple if it's simply a bit too firm.

Lost too much beer & gas to bad poppets! I now buy new ones and gave up on the various save the poppet tricks. If the bottom feet are not tight against the spring get new ones.

Sometimes the o-ring on the poppet gets cracked, crushed or just disintegrates. In those cases I replace them. (I keep 1 to three replacement parts on hand).
I always break them apart and clean them, when I clean the keg.
I would say I coat them with a food grade silicon when they start feeling dry, just about once every three cleaning's. Treating gaskets with silicon dramatically increases the lifetime of the part.
With that said, I have some +10 year old pin lock kegs that are just becoming problematic. And have been retired to bulk ageing / conditioning / bright tanks.

I have some large growlers that the seals still work fine with no rot after 15 years.
I just wish my scuba gear would last as long.

I would think that even new poppets would benefit from a little keg lube. If it hasnt been used yet, then I dont think replacing them should be an option yet. I dont always take my post off for cleaning, but after sanitizing the keg, I do push the poppet in and force a little keg lube with a q-tip. I do this even if I'm not going to use the keg right away.

Yeah, I've been a little lax on using the keg lube. I just applied a little to one of them and does have seemed to have helped.

I also just finished ordering some replacements. Considering the cost of the beer / CO2 / aggravation, it's a cheap fix.

Thanks for the suggestions.

If it's leaking while it's hooked up, I'd take it all apart and check it out. The rubber part on the poppit might be gunked up, as blender said, or maybe torn or something. Some lube does help keep it supple if it's simply a bit too firm.

If it's leaking when hooked up to the QD, then it's not something wrong with the poppet, but more likely the large O-ring on the post. The poppet doesn't do anything when the QD is hooked up, only when it's removed does the poppet seal the outlet. Also, don't rule out the dip tube O-ring as a possible suspect. I no longer try to rehab faulty poppets. I just replace them as they aren't really very expensive. Getting the correct replacement is important. Sometimes the used kegs have the wrong poppets installed due to a mixup somewhere in the past. That makes it a little trickier as it's sometimes difficult to figure out which replacement to buy. It pays to only disassemble one keg at a time to avoid mixing up the parts. Ask me how I know this.:drunk:

Latest posts

Back