hops near my septic tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefmike

Reaction score
So I was thinking about these plants I have put in....

Last year was fine, but this year I am really thinking about how aggressive they are. I have 5 vines spaced down the south facing wall of my two story house, and they look beautiful. This will be their second year.

I just realized that the middle two vines are planted about 5 to 10 feet from the septic tank. I am thinking these two should be moved, leaving the closest 10 to 15 feet from the tank.

Any thoughts? I need to google it a little... I was just thinking I would ask you all.

On an exciting note, the Cascade vines have broken through, the one having shoots like an asparagus already... and that was the one that did almost nothing last year!

Ten feet is safe. Seven is probably good as well. That was the standard for hop spacing until yards went to a 3x14 grid and drip irrigation. Dripping makes for a smaller growth radius.

That is reassuring... drainfield is a solid 25' if not more... it was laid 10 years ago, so I am ballparking on the most likely configuration of any drain pipe ( 3 -25 lines on a trunk off the septic).

I was looking at it today and really did not want to move the ones closest to the tank, as they are doing well and they shade the side of my house wonderfully (two story with bolts in the eaves. I can see cones from my master bath and bedroom....

I guess I will keep them happy to keep them from wandering off into tank world.

I appreciate the input... especially from you all in hops land in the NW.

something to consider:

I was worried about the roots damaging my sprinkler system so I emailed the people at Thyme Garden and here is Rolfe's response.

"I don’t think they’ll bother it. If they were over your leach lines for your septic system that could be a problem because there is holes in the leach pipes the roots can get into."

They'll probably grow like CRAZY. We had a spot where we'd dump watermelon seeds over our fence (not even planted) near our septic and before you know it we had 3 or 4 of the biggest watermelons I'd ever seen. Good fertilizer I guess.

They'll probably grow like CRAZY. We had a spot where we'd dump watermelon seeds over our fence (not even planted) near our septic and before you know it we had 3 or 4 of the biggest watermelons I'd ever seen. Good fertilizer I guess.

+1 They will grow like crazy. I have a non hop plant next to a sewer line in the ground, than has insane growth and roots after being there 4 years. It is super healthy and thriving.

However the roots sought out the sewer line trying to get water and nutrients from the poo. The city had to come and trim roots from within sewer line. It compares I guess to hydroponics in a way.

As a city forester, I see tree roots in sewer lines all the time. A tree root the size of a hair finds it way into an already leaking pipe - important note here, roots don't bust their way into a sewer pipe like an angry drunk dude, or strangle the pipe to break it, they find an existing crack. Then the hair sized root increases in diameter.

We don't cut down trees for that reason, though. That would be dumb. We tell the homeowners to put some chemical in their toilet the Waste Water Dept sells. Don't know what the active ingredient is off the top of my head. Not sure how well that would work with a septic system though. I guess it would depend if the hops roots are between the tank and the house, or between the tank and the drain field.

The point is, your tank proper is fine. Your sewer line, however, may not be fine. Hop plants do establish a large root system, as they are a perennial.

I have decided that the hops are important here, so I am removing the septic tank. And the house. Hence less interference with my brewing and consuming.

{shuffling off to get another beer....}

(hops are on the house side of the septic tank, hence less nutrient rich material, as it is not broken down. I am not too concerned anymore. Good to know about the additive for tree roots in sewer lines though...)

I have decided that the hops are important here, so I am removing the septic tank. And the house. Hence less interference with my brewing and consuming.

{shuffling off to get another beer....}

Now, THIS GUY has his priorities straight! I'm guessing SWMBO is part of the "removal" process as well? I mean, she is an "appliance" (ie. dishwasher) and should go with the house. [looks over should to make sure SWMBO isnt reading] Plus, this is probably the only way it will fly...:D

:mug:

I'm guessing SWMBO is part of the "removal" process as well? I mean, she is an "appliance" (ie. dishwasher) and should go with the house. [looks over should to make sure SWMBO isnt reading] Plus, this is probably the only way it will fly...:D

:mug:

You don't HAVE to get rid of her... just convince her to poop in a bucket, outhouse or port-o-potty instead of a plumbed toilet. That couldn't be too difficult, right? Heh. :D

You don't HAVE to get rid of her... just convince her to poop in a bucket, outhouse or port-o-potty instead of a plumbed toilet. That couldn't be too difficult, right? Heh. :D

It is all about TRAINING here fellas. Of course she will use the bucket. Thats how it works in my house: what I say, happens. :D

Boy am I lucky to have such a well trained wife who loves me and realizes that she should have asked ALOT more questions before she said "YES!" in the first place.

Now let me go, so I can finish the trim work in her laundry room before I tear the house down! At least she does understand that draft beer= more projects finished around the house...

Back