How long do you condition in kegs? ANd do you condition under pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Picking up my kegs around the 20th and within that week i am going to be kegging my first AG and Apfelwein. When you condition in kegs do you usually do it around a week. I was thinkin about room temp for a week but don't know if i should put them under pressure or not. What do yall do?

Think of your keg as a big bottle. So long as it stays sealed, you can condition a LONG time! Mine usually stay at room temperature or in my fermenting freezer a few weeks, and then go in the fridge for several more weeks. Nothing is set in stone, and often they sit out longer simply because there isn't room available in the brewfridge or freezer. It all comes out good in the end.

While you don't need to carbonate right away or keep your kegs on gas while conditioning, you do want to give them a good high pressure shot of gas to seat and seal the lid. Then place them in a reasonably temperature stable place and start brewing your next batch!

Think of your keg as a big bottle. So long as it stays sealed, you can condition a LONG time! Mine usually stay at room temperature or in my fermenting freezer a few weeks, and then go in the fridge for several more weeks. Nothing is set in stone, and often they sit out longer simply because there isn't room available in the brewfridge or freezer. It all comes out good in the end.

While you don't need to carbonate right away or keep your kegs on gas while conditioning, you do want to give them a good high pressure shot of gas to seat and seal the lid. Then place them in a reasonably temperature stable place and start brewing your next batch!

Ok thanks...one more thing. When you force carbonate do u do it at room temp or in the fridge? My first kegged bath wil be an ale if it matters

I often carb outside of a fridge due to space constraints. I usually jack the pressure to 25 or so PSI at room temp. Just hook up the gas and let it sit for a week or so.

I just seat the lid and condition for at least 3 weeks at room temperature. I carbonate in the kegger before putting it on tap.

Latest posts

Back