How snobby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But you buy Coors or Miller?

And you shop at Target vs Wal Mart?

That is selective corporate animosity don't you think?

Target does the same thing Wal Mart does.

Actually, since you asked, I most certainly do not. You assume that I shop at Target, and assume I shop with SabMillerCoors? That's a huge assumption, and you know what they say about when you assume something.

But Target doesn't do "the same thing Wal-Mart does". I still don't shop there, mostly because the nearest Target Store is about 100 miles away. :D

If you want to know more about Wal-mart, check out the "High Cost of Low Prices". We'll all subsidizing Wal-Mart, even if we don't shop there.

Please refrain from personal attacks, as you have no idea who I am or where I shop or what I stand for.

You make an assumption about where I shop, and you're dead wrong. It makes you look foolish.

I like fish....Not to eat as I cannot stand fish but to smack people about the bean who will write 16 pages either bashing or liking a beer. My gosh man it is beer, either drink it or get out of the line so others can drink it.

Rant over so flame on

I like fish....Not to eat as I cannot stand fish but to smack people about the bean who will write 16 pages either bashing or liking a beer. My gosh man it is beer, either drink it or get out of the line so others can drink it.

Rant over so flame on
monk fish, my friend. because sometimes a salmon just won't get the job done.

I also drink what's good and what I can afford at the time, if I can't afford to buy my fav craft beer, I'll buy a fine miller product. Hell I drank about 120 cans of Busch diesel because it had blaze orange camo cans. But that's just me.

"But it isnt one person or one corporations fault... its that our government has allowed the corporations to offshore... the same congress that will push us over the cliff. The government should be raising tarriffs on imports in each industry until the cost of the import equals the cost to employ and manufacture in the US.

Corporations are just business entities trying to compete in their sectors... when one offshores, the rest in the industry have to offshore or go out of business. It is the government who has allowed this through NAFTA and the WTO.

They need to raise tarrifs and if they get thrown out of the WTO then so be it!"

Indeed!

Wow..are you really openly suggesting the .gov overstep their authority by leaps and bounds to regulate how a private business conducts itself and the products it is allowed to offer by bully tactics?

Shameful that anyone can even ponder such a thing in any form but in jest.

Wow..are you really openly suggesting the .gov overstep their authority by leaps and bounds to regulate how a private business conducts itself and the products it is allowed to offer by bully tactics?

See foreign slave wages
See how outsourcing has killed the US jobs market
See how the USA doesnt even manufacture commodities anymore yet has all of the natural recources to do so
See how corporations are not going to be guilted into bringing jobs back
See how US incomes will go down despite inflation of commodities

Its simple math really... outsource to get countries with starving people that have populations 4 times ours to work for pennies an hour.

That's why Apple is so profitable.

Simple math. Incomes will continue to drop as people get laid off and take jobs for less pay.

See foreign slave wages
See how the USA doesnt even manufacture commodities anymore yet has all of the natural recources to do so

Its simple math really... outsource to get countries with starving people that have populations 4 times ours to work for pennies an hour.

Simple math. Incomes will continue to drop as people get laid off and take jobs for less pay.

So you are saying that the ends justify the means?

That is a mighty slippery slope and you are standing in banana peel slippers

20090225015708676694-0-user8616-pic277-1214037416.jpg

Hulud said:
LOL saw this coming from the first post

same thing everytime.

I was hoping it would more or less stay on track but I didn't hold much hope for that.

Odd that you think price supports or tariffs represent and overstep of the authority of of the Federal Gov't. Show me a sovereign country that does not participate in these practices. Tariffs and support of american agricultural industry generally are used to support industries the improve our national security. ie you would not want to acquire your food supply from a potential enemy. Bring in the subsidization for cane sugar. Or we could just buy it from cuba and food from china. Would you endorse this?

A trusted friend of yours gives you a bottle with the label covered and says "you have to try this, this is the best kolsch / malt liquor/ cream ale/ fruit beer/ belgian speciality ale. Insert your favorite style here, ever" You proceed to pour and have a drink. You can't believe how good it is, this is the only beer you have tasted that you would give a 45 to. This, in your opinion is the best beer ever brewed and you devote you allegiance to it on the spot and want to rename your first born after it. Excitedly you ask your friend what is the name of this? Who makes it?

Your friend says it's not beer at all. It's a bottle of old chocolate milk he's been spitting queen size sheets of phlegm into because he got a bad case of pneumonia.

What do you say? Do you finish drinking it because it's so awesome, or vomit immediately? Your jaw drops. For years you trusted this guy and now you realize he's not only a dick, but probably clinically insane.

I bit into more than I wanted to chew through tonight so I am just gonna back off before it goes too far.

My politics has nothing to do with the beer I make or drink so happy new year, best of luck to everyone in their endeavors this year.

I bit into more than I wanted to chew through tonight so I am just gonna back off before it goes too far.

My politics has nothing to do with the beer I make or drink so happy new year, best of luck to everyone in their endeavors this year.

Yeah I hate when we get political but sometimes I can't help myself.

This forum is based upon a common appreciation of good beer.

Sorry if I have offended anybody.

I find store bought beer generally to be just "old". Since brewing is integrated into my daily kitchen practices, I don't see stopping until I am physically unable.
- Cream yeast from the primary fermenting tun for biga's to make bread.
- holy beer (6 days in the making, rests on the 7th - also from the primary) for sauces, gravy's, meat pies, soups, and stews.
- I always have some kind of live, cask conditioned, bitter (which I really like) on hand.
- my recipes are crafted to my taste and are never an attempt to emulate someone else's brew - though the recipes often start out that way.
- I don't care if anybody else likes what I brew - as long as I like what I brew. How's that for snobbishness?
Didn't Shakespeare remark to not trust a cook who doesn't lick his own fingers :)

I find store bought beer generally to be just "old". Since brewing is integrated into my daily kitchen practices, I don't see stopping until I am physically unable.
- Cream yeast from the primary fermenting tun for biga's to make bread.
- holy beer (6 days in the making, rests on the 7th - also from the primary) for sauces, gravy's, meat pies, soups, and stews.
- I always have some kind of live, cask conditioned, bitter (which I really like) on hand.
- my recipes are crafted to my taste and are never an attempt to emulate someone else's brew - though the recipes often start out that way.
- I don't care if anybody else likes what I brew - as long as I like what I brew. How's that for snobbishness?
Didn't Shakespeare remark to not trust a cook who doesn't lick his own fingers :)
but Shakespeare wasn't a chef. he souls have said, "Never trust a playwright that doesn't dip their own quill." but the validity of the words shall remain intact for all purposes therein.

See foreign slave wages

Give the December issue of The Atlantic a read. There's a good look at outsourcing and a growing trend of companies bringing jobs back to America and the benefits it creates for getting products from conception to production. There's plenty our government can do outside of trade policy to encourage insourcing without alienating trade partners with emerging economies.

So you are saying that the ends justify the means?

That is a mighty slippery slope and you are standing in banana peel slippers

That made no sense.

You are saying dont solve the problem? Kind of like raising taxes 40 billion even though the country is spending in excess of 1 trillion a year. 4% will not even cover the other 96%. Nah, just stick your head in the sand... it will all go away.

This hasn't turned political either... its simple math. When political preferences cloud basic reasoning and get in the way of simple math... then you know our country is in deep trouble. I agree, screw politics. This is about our government's problems as whole.

And to get back to the OP... I would love for import Beers to see tarrifs so that US microbreweries can grow and take a larger part of the market.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves in the world--beer snobs who 5hit all over the big brewers.

There's no accounting for taste. I had a Coors Batch 19 and thought it was pretty reasonable. I rated them a 3 on Ratebeer, about a week after giving a Bell's beer a 0.5. I also drank the Batch 19 at a Max and Ermas, which is like the BMC of restaurants---apply the same snobbery to food that many on this site do to beer, and you're eating ONLY at small, high-end restaurants. Nobody does that, everyone crams a big mac down their pieholes occasionally.

As I said, there's no accounting for taste. There's a fraction of this site that probably couldn't brew themselves out of a paper bag. Hell, I can't even say I do, except that I and my friends like what I brew.

Early in my brewing and craft beer enjoyment, I used to be a snob about it. Anymore, I don't care what people drink--I try to brew what people like to drink, rather than berate them for liking watered-down, tasteless beer. I view that as a challenge, and welcome those people who would rather drink a Bud Light (butt wipe?) than a Sam Adams, for example. A segment of my friends and acquaintances are like that, and I have worked to try to find a well-made beer I make, that they'll like.

Rather than scoff at people drinking BMC, I say, try to brew a beer they'll like, instead of giving them crap for not liking your dry-hopped, 150IBU Hopatomic ThermoHumular Warhead.

That'll be $0.02, applicable toward my account at Titgemeiers. Many thanks.

I may open up a can of worms here but, what the hell.

A trusted friend of yours gives you a bottle with the label covered and says "you have to try this, this is the best IPA/Light Lager/English Pale ale, Bock, Insert your favorite style here, ever" You proceed to pour and have a drink. You can't believe how good it is, this is the only beer you have tasted that you would give a 45 to. This, in your opinion is the best beer ever brewed and you devote you allegiance to it on the spot and want to rename your first born after it. Excitedly you ask your friend what is the name of this? Who makes it?
Your friend says this is blah blah blah brewed by Anheuser Busch!

Your jaw drops, the best beer you ever tasted belongs to the evil corporation that has been producing crap beer for years. The same company that you vowed never to support in any way due to its inferior product and its treatment of smaller brewers. What to do?

I know most on here have swore off the big boys. Well because their beer sucks. But what if? What if they made a beer that was excellent, a beer that was winning competitions? What would you do? Would you give up your boycott and buy or would you forgo the best beer you ever had?

that's all fine & dandy, but I'll brew what I like. if they happen to like it, well good on them for having great taste (like mine). hahaha!!

There's a fraction of this site that probably couldn't brew themselves out of a paper bag.

That fraction is more like a percentage, and that percentage is probably much higher than any of us would readily admit.

Ps.. I just got home from work, so I'm enjoying my first alcoholic beverage of 2013 as we speak: a Lime-A-Rita!

I like the Max & Erma's over in Westlake. They have a really juicy marinaded,wood fired porterhouse that's makin my mouth water just talkin about it. Anyway,I'll buy craft beer when I can afford it,ice beer when I can't. It's all good at the right time or circumstances. Politics be damned.

I went to my beer store today and after picking up my craft choices, I considered a 12pk of lime-a-rita cans. I asked the guy, "have you ever tried these?", to which he immediately responded, "I won't." Ha! I wish I could have read his mind to see what snobby thoughts he was thinking about me. This after I gave him a huge hop rhizome too. Oh well. I still love the lime-a-rita!

I went to my beer store today and after picking up my craft choices, I considered a 12pk of lime-a-rita cans. I asked the guy, "have you ever tried these?", to which he immediately responded, "I won't." Ha! I wish I could have read his mind to see what snobby thoughts he was thinking about me. This after I gave him a huge hop rhizome too. Oh well. I still love the lime-a-rita!

hmm...good summer beer?

Post a review; I am curious but weary.

I am not saying I am weary because it is BMC, I am weary because it is 'lime-a-rita"

Honestly it tastes like a carbonated, cheap margarita. Like the ones you get 2 for 1 at Chilis. Obviously not my first choice for a margarita, but definitely good. I've been drinking them a lot lately. I pour it into a glass and try to let it fizz out. It's a little better without the carbonation.

Honestly it tastes like a carbonated, cheap margarita. Like the ones you get 2 for 1 at Chilis. Obviously not my first choice for a margarita, but definitely good. I've been drinking them a lot lately. I pour it into a glass and try to let it fizz out. It's a little better without the carbonation.

I had it before it was distributed :mug:

imag00061-54604.jpg

Back