Help me with CTZ IPA hop schedule!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroach01

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

Decided to brew today on a whim and will be doing a House IPA. I have been experimenting recently with using single hops in American Pale Ales/IPAs to get true insight as to how these hops taste. Today I will be using only CTZ (Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus). The irony is i think its a blend of hops but I hear they're pretty similar.

Anyways, here's the grain bill

6# MO
3# vienna
2# munich
.5# crystal 20
.5# crystal 60

I need a hop schedule. My target is 70-90 IBUs and a good amount of late addition hops and some dry hop. I have no experience with these hops so I was what you all thought would be a good hop schedule.

Cheers!

Check out the Snake Dog IPA clone thread here. Basically all Columbus, but bittered with Warrior. I just brewed this and it is great. Getting ready to dry hop with 2oz, but already has great flavor and aroma. Just sub in the right amount of CTZ to get the same bittering and you should be good. My schedule was:

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.00 32.7 First WH
0.75 oz. Columbus Pellet 11.00 9.1 15 min.
0.75 oz. Columbus Pellet 11.00 6.8 10 min.
0.75 oz. Columbus Pellet 11.00 5.7 5 min.
1.75 oz. Columbus Pellet 11.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Here's a simple schedule that gets you the target IBU's with mostly late addition and dry hop. This all assumes bagged pellet hops.

Amount Name Alpha Boil Time IBU
--------------------------------------------------------
1.5 oz Columbus 13.1% 60 min 51.9
1 oz Columbus 13.1% 15 min 17.2
1 oz Columbus 13.1% 10 min 12.6
1 oz Columbus 13.1% 5 min 6.9
1 oz Columbus 13.1% Flame out 0
3 oz Columbus 13.1% Dry-Hop 0

Total IBU's 88.6

This should get you a lot of flavor and aroma I would think.

You'll have a very muddled, chewy, sweet, malty IPA with that grain bill. Especially if mashed high. It will get in the way of the hop character vs. if you just went with more American and English 2-row and less crystal. Hate to be a Debbie Downer. Just an FYI as a realist and IPA connoisseur. ;) Good luck.

I agree with Bobbrews. I did a Columbus IPA. I over did the bittering with Galena a bit. I also used 1.5lb of munich and enough chocolate and crystal 120 to make it red. Next time I am doing it hop bursting style, cutting back the munich to 1 pound and switching to a touch of crystal 40 or 10.

If I were you I would cut back to 1lb vienna and .25 each of the crystals. MO adds plenty of maltiness/sweetness. Too much for my taste but that's just me.

Love the hops though!

As far as the grain suggestions, I like the Vienna and Munich combo. I would prob only go .5 lbs of maybe crystal 40. I think that the Vienna and Munich with base grain was in a yooper thread as one of her favs but maybe I'm mistaken. It's true it's maybe not a textbook IPA but then again non of my favorites are. I like a more malty American style with big malts to complement.

Back