Flask on a electric stove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude00

Reaction score
Like the title say can i use a flask to make a start on a electric stove. I have on a gas stove but moved to a new place that has electric stove.

it is not recommended, scorches easily, I would make wort in a pot then funnel into the flask

You can use a water bath to heat your flask on an electric stove. Get a pot large enough to fill with water and hold your flask. Place the flask in the water bath and bring it up to boiling. One caveat, on my electric stove, the wort in the flask never got boiling. It reached about 195ºF but wouldnt get any higher than that. Electric stoves suck. Or you could make the wort in a pot and then transfer it to a flask, which I have done in the past and it works fine.

I do it on my glass-top stove.
Have to do a lot of moving the flask and temp control, not the best, but it does work.

You can use a water bath to heat your flask on an electric stove. Get a pot large enough to fill with water and hold your flask. Place the flask in the water bath and bring it up to boiling. One caveat, on my electric stove, the wort in the flask never got boiling. It reached about 195ºF but wouldnt get any higher than that. Electric stoves suck. Or you could make the wort in a pot and then transfer it to a flask, which I have done in the past and it works fine.

It won't ever reach boiling if you place it in boiling water. Boiling water can't get hotter than 212 (at sea level) so eventually your flask would also be full of 212 water. No temperature differential means the heat would stop flowing and the flask would never boil.

I do it on my glass-top stove.
Have to do a lot of moving the flask and temp control, not the best, but it does work.

Same here, though the first time I did it I wasn't paying close enough attention and the wort boiled over a little bit. I didn't think much of it at the time but it basically led to the flask getting stuck to the stove :tank: I didn't realize it was stuck until I tried to move it a few minutes later and to do this day the marks are still on the glass stove where it got stuck.

So if you're going to do it on a glass-top stove, be careful of this sort of thing.

Like the title say can i use a flask to make a start on a electric stove. I have on a gas stove but moved to a new place that has electric stove.

The correct answer is to use a trivet between the coils and the flask to spread the heat.

What I would do is just go for it until it becomes a problem. But hey, you don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

But hey, you don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

a7724c0bad46411da9139e1309e11e9c_view.jpg

I use a little camping stove that runs on little bottles of propane. Works awesome!

I didn't realize it was stuck until I tried to move it a few minutes later and to do this day the marks are still on the glass stove where it got stuck.

So if you're going to do it on a glass-top stove, be careful of this sort of thing.

I have some glass stove top cleaner that cleaned mine up, as it has boiled over also. I had to use a plastic scrub pad with it and quite a bit of work, but I got it.

I have a nice big cast iron pan. Would it help to prevent scorching if I put the pan on the burner and then the flask in/on the pan?

I lost a 2L flask to my electric stove . . . had added the extract, was boiling, heard a crack, wort all over my stove. Now I make starters in a pot and just transfer them once they've cooled.

Back