Deciding on a kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffNYC

Reaction score
There have been many helpful threads on kegerators. I'm thinking through:

Sanyo 4912 (compact and unobtrusive, could keep in kitchen for easy access, but only two kegs)

Sanyo BC-1206 (only bought as a kegerator? not able to buy standalone and convert as DIY? Like the three keg capacity vs. the 4912)

Freezer (better for lagering and more than three kegs, but I'd have to keep it in the basement which means for entertaining, etc. that's running up and down stairs, not practical)

Do I have this right? Any other considerations?

JeffNYC said:
Freezer (better for lagering and more than three kegs, but I'd have to keep it in the basement which means for entertaining, etc. that's running up and down stairs, not practical)

?

Sounds like a good way to keep from getting a beer belly to me:)

Is the problem with a freezer the size? Take a look at refrigerators in the 10-12 cuft range. My old kegger was a 12 and I had four kegs in it. Probably could have fitted five, with the CO2 tank outside.

You could use a freezer as your kegerator/lagerator, then set up a portable picnic tap upstairs when you are entertaining.

But what the hell do I know, I'm one of those mouth-breathing bottlers. :drunk:

david_42 said:
Is the problem with a freezer the size? Take a look at refrigerators in the 10-12 cuft range. My old kegger was a 12 and I had four kegs in it. Probably could have fitted five, with the CO2 tank outside.

If I want the kegerator in the kitchen, size is the issue. Could do a freezer in the basement. So trade-off is convenience vs. capacity (and lagering). (Wife is NOT happy about the ability to have more than two kegs around...she's a bit worried actually by this...)

I got the Sanyo due to space constraints and I wanted the DIY aspect but now I am really regretting not having more taps. If you have a big enough footprint, I'd go with the full sized fridge. If not (and you can afford it) look at one of the prebuilt keggers that hold 4 cornies (wish I had).

That's what I'm concerned about. Can one now DIY for a larger 3-4 corny setup? Couldn't see the Sanyo BC-1206 for sale as a refrigerator, just as pre-made.

I just got a Magic Chef Beverage Cooler from Home depot for $197, normally $299
It has a tinted glass door, fits 2 kegs with just enough room to spare, a nice shelf in the back for my tank and room in front for bombers I need to keep cold.

Yes I put a two tap tower in. I centered it but put it 2" back from dead center.
I did the alchohol/ corn starch test and couldnt see any freon lines. The ouside is metal so all you need are four screws that will bite into the fridge to mount the tower. Oh, and a two inch hole for lines

Buy a used Beverage Air BM23 on ebay for the about 300-500$ shipped and you will be happy. You will be impressed with how heavy duty the unit is. Its got a cooled tower so you never get foamy beer, and a nice drip tray with internal reservoir. On a side note, the previous owner of mine used it outside all summer in 100degF weather and it kept it perfectly cold all day.

2ndstorey...
I did the alchohol/ corn starch test and couldnt see any freon lines.

Im going to put a tower on my kegerator and never heard of this test...care to ellaborate?

BeerCanuck

Latest posts

Back