Second fermentation stage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbieDigital

Reaction score
Hi

Ive made two batches now and followed directions pretty well, steralise and all that, both batches turned out pretty well in the tasted department, the only thing is they dont turn out to be terribly bubbly, they maybe for a few minutes then die flat, i used the sugar drops at first then i used ordinary sugar, are teh sugar drops better? or ordinary sugar, i was putting in a teaspoon of ordinary sugar in teh second lot.'
Ive read around on this forum and some recommend disolving the sugar in water and dropping that in, how much sugar would i need to dissolve in water for say a regular stubby 330 ml and also king browns 750-800 ml bottles? otherwise with regular sugar should one teaspoon be enough?

cheers for the help

Bobbie

BobbieDigital said:
Hi

Ive made two batches now and followed directions pretty well, steralise and all that, both batches turned out pretty well in the tasted department, the only thing is they dont turn out to be terribly bubbly, they maybe for a few minutes then die flat, i used the sugar drops at first then i used ordinary sugar, are teh sugar drops better? or ordinary sugar, i was putting in a teaspoon of ordinary sugar in teh second lot.'
Ive read around on this forum and some recommend disolving the sugar in water and dropping that in, how much sugar would i need to dissolve in water for say a regular stubby 330 ml and also king browns 750-800 ml bottles? otherwise with regular sugar should one teaspoon be enough?

cheers for the help

Bobbie

I'm kind of confused what you are trying to say but if you are talking about exactly but I'm gonna try to decipher and answer accordingly. If you are using regular table sugar stop as sucrose is not as fermentable as dextrose (corn sugar). You can pick this up from your local brew shop if you don't have any. Use 3/4 lbs for a 5 gallon batch then then bottle and let sit for 3 weeks.

Yeah, what he said...;)

You need to take 3/4 C of CORN SUGAR and boil it in 2 C water for 5 mins, and add it to your bottling bucket, stir it slowly a few times to mix in then bottle. Let the bottles sit at room temp (around 70) for 3 weeks and you'll get your bubbles.

Try a bottle the first week to check the progress, another the second, and the third. Once the bottles are carbonated enough for your tastes then you need to place all the bottles in the fridge to get the yeast cold so they go dormant and stop carbonating the brew further. :D ;)

Bobby_M said:
Sounds like you're trying to bottle without a bottling bucket. It's much easier to bulk mix your corn sugar water with the beer in a bucket.

Sorry for the late reply i have been having trouble with the internet and not been able to get on and check your responses, thanks for the answers, so you cant use regular sugar?
so is it possible to dissolve 1 kilo of dextrose in water then add it to the carboy, then bottle it that way?
cheers

Bobbie

BobbieDigital said:
Sorry for the late reply i have been having trouble with the internet and not been able to get on and check your responses, thanks for the answers, so you cant use regular sugar?
so is it possible to dissolve 1 kilo of dextrose in water then add it to the carboy, then bottle it that way?
cheers

Bobbie

It is possible although I would get yourself a bucket with a spigot to make bottling easier. Also if you only have one carboy it makes it hard to properly mix the sugar though out the beer as a spigot will create a bit of a whirl pooling effect where as an auto siphon not as much and you don't want to stir up your trub. Some beers maybe carbonated, some very slight and others potential bombs.

Back