Potential fermentaion problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
I brewed a second batch of my Black Helicopter Porter today, and I beefed up the recipe a little. I went from 7lbs of LME to 8lbs, and I increased my total steeping grains from 3lbs to 3.5lbs. During the boil, my muslin bag broke, and some of the grain poured into the brew pot and remained in it for the duration of the boil.

My first batch had an OG of ~1.053, although I still wasn't taking measurements at the time. This batch came out a relatively large 1.067. I pitched both with a single packet of Nottingham dry yeast. I had no fermentation problems at all with my first batch, but now I'm wondering if the little yeasties can handle such a big beer. It's only been about three hours since I pitched, and nothing yet, but I'm not necessarily concerned. Any thoughts?

it will be fine... :) with a biger sg, the yeast will take a bit longer to buck up and start fermenting... it's gotta build up a bit more of a colony to handle the bigger beer...

Latest posts

Back