Promash % Alc vs. Onebeer.net

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryandlf

Reaction score
What gives? I must be using the Promash calculator wrong. I have a brix refractometer and my OG was 12 and FG 6. Promash gives me an ABV of 2.90 and the Onebeer.net calculator gives me an ABV of 5.26. What gives!?!

Did you convert the Brix reading of 6 for a final gravity? Refractometers can't be used once fermentation has begun without some calculations to account for the alcohol. A 6 is a very high FG, so I would hope you haven't bottled until you take a hydrometer reading!

Anyway, the easiest way to figure ABV is to convert your brix readings to SG and then do some simple math. (OG-FG) x 131= ABV.

So, in this case, if 6 is really the FG (and I hope that's wrong!), you have:

(1.048-1.024) x 131= 3.1% ABV

Oh ok. I didn't realize that the alcohol was messing with the refractometer readings. According to this calculator my actual FG is 1.009 giving my an ABV of roughly 4.8% which is much better :) I've been trying to figure out why my ferments are coming in so high since I got my new toy :D

Does anyone know if promash has a built in calculator to compensate for fermenting beer like that other calculator I posted?

Figured it out...go to the Utilities menu at the top, then Refractometer, then Specific Gravity During Fermentation. For anyone that might find this thread in the future :)

Back