How's Notty doing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
I've been in and out of the forum for a while now so I'm not up to date. How's Nottingham doing these days? I was lucky enough to have 4 batches of beer taste less than optimal with some (eventually recalled) Notty yeast so I haven't gone back. So what's the good word? Thanks!

I just finished up a blueberry blonde ale with notty and it was great. I don't see a problem with it now that the recalled packs are gone.

There's a thread going already giving some pretty positive reports, talking about needing blowoff tubes and such. Sounds like we're back in business with this strain.

Good to see. The biggest problem I had, besides the slow start was that every beer that I brewed with it had a crazy banana aroma to it... I'm assuming that's gone, right?

my first time using notty was yesterday (non-recalled variety). Pitched at 65, fermenting at 60. i had minimal activity at 12 hours, with acceptable activity (a few bubbles every 2-4 seconds) at around 24 hours. I didn't know to rehydrate it as I usually use S-05, but it seems to be chugging along fine.

I always ferment at 62ºF and I'm very meticulous about maintaining that temp. It gives me the cleanest brews. I had purchased 5 sachets of Notty and the four that I used all gave me hella banana aromas. I swear it was like having a true hefe. For the longest time I was trying to figure out what I did wrong but the only common thing all the beers had was the yeast. The final test was the last batch which was a very simple blonde ale and it was way banana.

Edit: I should mention that although all of my yeast packs were the same lot # they were not the officially recalled ones.

When I ferment nottingham in the low 60's it is very clean, no off flavors at all. If i get above 70 I get banana and clove. Are you sure the temp inside your fermenter isn't over 70? 62 degree ambient could easily lead to a 70+ degrees fermentation..especially if you pitched at a higher temp.

I pitched Sunday into a 1.039 wort. Checked this morning (60 hours later), 1.007. Temp is around 165.

I'd say the new batch is just fine.

Latest posts

Back