Fridge coil layout (top/bottom type)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMW

Reaction score
Do typical cheap fridges (like the ones you typically find on CL) with the freezer on top only have the coils in the freezer section of the fridge?

It would be nice, I think, to have a cold section up top for lagering/cold crashing and a warmer section on the bottom for fermenting and conditioning. Could the temperature of the lower section be regulated a la son of fermentation chiller fan type that I've seen so much around here?

That's what I figured, thanks for the reply.

Probably not a normal carboy in the freezer section...I'm trying to find some lower profile secondary fermenters or work out a way of 'resizing' the upper chamber. I'll have to wait until I actually have the cheap fridge to work that out, though.

For a low profile secondary...what about one of these? Two of those ought to fit in a decent sized freezer space.

Shipping quote on 2 was 10.18 for a total of $33 and change.

I don't know the measurements but a thin fermenter/carboy/pail or something like that may fit into a side by side fridge/freezer.....maybe worth measuring some side by sides.

Back