leaving town with two in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henrychinaski

Reaction score
o.k. i didn't plan well, and now i have beer in primary that's not going to be finished by tomorrow evening when i leave town for two weeks.
i'm trying to decide my best course of action.
options:
1. just forget about it and worry about it when i get back. a lot of people say that you shouldn't leave beer on the trub/yeast cake for long after primary fermentation is finished due to off flavors the beer can absorb if the yeast starts autolyzing. then again some say they never do a secondary, leaving the beer on the cake until they keg or bottle. i always rack into secondary after primary subsides.
2. have a friend, who doesn't brew, come over and rack it. risky, i know, but he is pretty smart, and i'll have time to show him what to do.
3. ?
i probably should just go with option one, since i had really good hot and cold break and left the vast majority of the trub in the kettle.
any advice?

Leave it, it will be fine...

I leave mine for a month on the yeast cake and they come out better than when I used to rack to secondary...Let the yeasties clean up after themselves while you are away.

That idea of not leaving it on the yeast cake for a few weeks is a brewing urban legend...the misreading of Palmer...

We discuss it here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=68823

Just leave it in primary...it will be fine for several weeks. Some say several months, and I'm inclined to believe them.

Your beer will be fine, and it just may cause you to kick the secondary habit.

Leave it, it will be fine...

I leave mine for a month on the yeast cake and they come out better than when I used to rack to secondary...Let the yeasties clean up after themselves while you are away.

That idea of not leaving it on the yeast cake for a few weeks is a brewing urban legend...the misreading of Palmer...

We discuss it here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=68823

If you need to cold lager a beer, do you do it in the primary also? What about bigger beers that need time to age. I plan to brew my old ale in about 2-3 weeks and want an opinion of if I should take it off the yeast if I age it for 2-3 months.

If you need to cold lager a beer, do you do it in the primary also? What about bigger beers that need time to age. I plan to brew my old ale in about 2-3 weeks and want an opinion of if I should take it off the yeast if I age it for 2-3 months.

I've never brewed a Lager, but I read something today that leads me to believe that you shouldn't leave them on the yeast cake for too long...That those tend to be where Autolysis is noticeable....

(THat's also where most N00bs pick up on the autolysis bugaboo)

Re-read the section in Palmer on Lagers...
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10-1.html

I can't help you with Old ales either...I think Orfey and maybe Landhoney are the one's to ask...

You might want to start a thread called "Old ALe Questions" or something...I be into learning about them.

Latest posts

Back