6-7 month fruit lambic recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad_

Reaction score
I have been really interested in brewing a lambic. However, I will only have about 6-7 months to brew it. I was wondering if it is possible to brew a lambic, or fruit lambic within this time frame. And, if so, what the best times to add the bugs and fruit would be. Thank you!

You could probably get away with making a fermentable wort (pils and flaked wheat, mash ~148 F), and pitching all your microbes together at the start of primary (some dregs from your favorite lambics is a good booster for a Wyeast or White Labs blend). After three, months rack onto your desired fruit and oak. When the gravity stabilizes in 2-3 months, bottle and enjoy. This will lack the complexity of the long-aged real deal, but it’ll be pretty good.

Another idea would be to start with a sour mash and then do what oldsock says and pitch bugs/sacc strain to ferment the wort, you may get a more sour beer that way. Just a thought.

In my lambics, the 6-7 month mark tastes like old socks and horses' asses. 12 months is where it turns the corner, 20-24 months is where it really gets magical.

In my experience, there is no sense in trying to rush a beer. The beer will tell you when it's done, not the other way around.

I highly recommend a sour mash brew if you want something sour and quickly I have made two batches with a two day mash and they ferment out in 5-10 days keg and enjoy by day 14! No lie, amazing, simple, cheap, and delicious

How does the taste of the sour mash differ from the taste of a lambic drawdy10?

Very different. A sour mash should lend a clean, simple sourness from the Lacto. A lambic is much more complex due to the numerous critters responsible for its souring, along with the length of time it takes to sour.

Very different. A sour mash should lend a clean, simple sourness from the Lacto. A lambic is much more complex due to the numerous critters responsible for its souring, along with the length of time it takes to sour.

Exactly. I've had short-term lambics that simply didn't taste like lambics--they were lacking in complexity. Sour mashing is a great way to make simple sours, especially a Berliner Weisse, but lambics need time.

chad_ said:

Chad, if you want some thing fast it is amazing. It's like a real tart lemonade that tastes great and refreshing cold with cold carbonation. Everyone that likes lambics and other sours has loved this sour mashed Ale. It's very cheap and quick.

Back