Belgian Raspberry Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_oracle

Reaction score
Has anyone made a "light dubbel" (contradictory) say around O.G. of 1.055 and secondary fermented the brew on a lot of raspberries or added raspberry flavoring (the kind I see listed on brew supply sites)?

I was thinking something like this:

Belgian Pale Ale Malt: 7.5#
Wheat Malt: 3.5#
Chocolate Malt: 2.5#

White Labs: Belgian Ale

Only bittering hops

Secondary one large can of Oregon raspberries of a bottle of raspberry flavoring.

Any comments?

Thanks

I have done a number of raspberry hefeweizens with belgian wheat yeast that came out great. I will try to dig up the recipes. I beleive I have done it both ways and will have to check my log, but I want to say I had better success adding the raspberries to the brew pot at the end of the boil (but do NOT boil) and steeping for 15 minutes. Less risk of infection and the hot wort extracts the berry flavor (and color). Then you can strin out or add to the primary. Conventional wisdom may be against me though on that method, I don't know--hopefully you will get some other responses.

Can you give some recomendation on which "Belgian Wheat Yeast" you have used? My Local HBS only carries White Labs Yeasts.

Thanks

I would like the recipes also. I think hefe's are my favorite brew to drink, a nice berry brew sound like it may be nice for those hot summer days. I will be racking my very first brew to the secondary tomorrow and yes it is in fact a hefeweizen, imagine that.:D Thinking very seriously of going to the store for some frozen raspberries, hmm... liars shifty takers is open.

OK, i found the recipe. Apparently I have not made this beer since 1997, and I have no idea why because it is one of my favorite home made beers and a killer summer brew. This is half-mash recipe, but it is easily converted to all grain:

5 lbs weizen liquid malt extract (half barley malt, half wheat malt)
1/2 lb crystal 40
2 lb. malted wheat
1/2 lb vienna malt
1 oz saaz-- last 5
1.5 oz hallertau--1/2 last 25, half last 15
1 oz cascade 60 minutes

wyeast 3056 bavarian wheat yeast--this yeast MAKES the beer. first time I used a regular ale yeast and it was decent but the wheat yeast gives it that great tart taste with a little banana/clove and a creamy white head.

4 lbs raspberrys--steeped after the boil for 15 minutes and added to primary. I used frozen because 4-5 lbs of fresh raspberries gets costly. (do not panic if the beer turns red...)

I mashed at 152 for an hour

OG is around 1.056. I usually rack in about a week and strain out the fruit. FG is around 1.012-1.010

j_oracle, I will be interested to hear how yours comes out if you do the light dubble recipe--I am trying to picture what the choclate malt would do to the overall flavor.

I am definitely making this hefe again this spring as an all grain.

That's a huge amount of chocolate malt. Most chocolate malts are around 400L. I only use a pound in a chocolate stout. You will have a very dark ale.

Real berries are always better than flavorings.

I have not checked out this post in a while and noticed I screwed up in the chocolate malt amount accidently hit a "2" instead of "0".

My intent was to only have 0.5 pounds NOT 2.5. That would be way over the top. I am trying to design a beer with a fruity/ester base with a hint of chocolate then a nice raspberry finish.

I think I may give this a whirl next weekend.

In using frozen fruit in your recipes do you add any pectin enzyme to the wort? I would think adding the berries at the end of the boil for a quick pasterization would have some effect on the pectin and result in extreme haze. I am not looking the a bright beer per say but I do not want it to be milky.

I don't recall having any problems but adding the enzyme couldn't hurt I guess. it was not crystal clear but certainly was not milky.

j_oracle said:
In using frozen fruit in your recipes do you add any pectin enzyme to the wort? I would think adding the berries at the end of the boil for a quick pasterization would have some effect on the pectin and result in extreme haze. I am not looking the a bright beer per say but I do not want it to be milky.

Some good info on this post here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5084

I have not used pectin enzyme and have had good results, but in may be a good idea.

-Tom

OK, i found the recipe. Apparently I have not made this beer since 1997, and I have no idea why because it is one of my favorite home made beers and a killer summer brew. This is half-mash recipe, but it is easily converted to all grain:

5 lbs weizen liquid malt extract (half barley malt, half wheat malt)
1/2 lb crystal 40
2 lb. malted wheat
1/2 lb vienna malt
1 oz saaz-- last 5
1.5 oz hallertau--1/2 last 25, half last 15
1 oz cascade 60 minutes

wyeast 3056 bavarian wheat yeast--this yeast MAKES the beer. first time I used a regular ale yeast and it was decent but the wheat yeast gives it that great tart taste with a little banana/clove and a creamy white head.

4 lbs raspberrys--steeped after the boil for 15 minutes and added to primary. I used frozen because 4-5 lbs of fresh raspberries gets costly. (do not panic if the beer turns red...)

I mashed at 152 for an hour

OG is around 1.056. I usually rack in about a week and strain out the fruit. FG is around 1.012-1.010

j_oracle, I will be interested to hear how yours comes out if you do the light dubble recipe--I am trying to picture what the choclate malt would do to the overall flavor.

I am definitely making this hefe again this spring as an all grain.
Jeff was that for a 5 gallon brew and did you do it all at once or did you do part of it in 3 gallons of water then add to 2 gallons of cold water to help cool the boil down? I guess I was wondering about a few of the specifics! This sounded really good so I want to give it a good run! Thank You for the recipe!

Latest posts

Back