CO2 Tank Used as a Beer Gas (N02) Tank, Conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneHotKarl

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a question. I have an extra 5 pound C02 tank laying around and i was wondering if I could convert it for beer gas use? From what I read on the micromatic web page the 'dip tube' goes down 3/4 of the way to get a proper mixture of gas. Could I modify the dip tube of the co2 tank after having the valve removed from the tank? Or are the threads different? Also is the tank hydro-tested for co2 only?

Thanks.

Davidson Fire Extinguishers, Its a little shop in Ottawa, Ontario. Ive gotten beer gas and straight CO2 from them in the same tank at different times of course.

I thought that beer gas was dispensed from nitrogen tanks, and those tanks are rated for a higher pressure than C02 tanks.

I get my CO2 from a welding supply shop, and I asked about beergas. He said he does not stock it, but he can get it so just call ahead a few days early for the exchange.

Back