Drilling out the Gas In Post on a Firestone Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcmillen

Reaction score
I have 3 Firestone Challenger VI Corny kegs that use the short tapered plastic/nylon gas in tube. They are in pretty bad shape and I would like to drill out the IN post to accommodate a stainless steel dip tube.

Anyone have any experience doing this or have any recommendations or suggestions? It doesn't look like this would be a problem. Just need to use a bit that will handle the SS.

David

don't see a problem as long as you go slow and carefully. Don't oblong the hole at all. Keep it as close to round as possible.

They say slow speed with steady pressure to keep the heat down is the best. I'd def use some drilling oil or ive even seen people say they use olive or canola oil. just enough to keep it moving and the temp low.

I will add that my coworker snapped off a drill bit in his corny. so if your applying pressure, do so carefully. a Drill press would be gread vs a hand drill.

Good machining practice is keep the drill slowwwwww, just turning fast enough to pull out a chip and not get too fast and work harden the material you are drilling. A ;ow speed 1/2 variable speed drill is a perfect tool for this if you have one. Otherwise 3/8 and a llot patience and caution will do.
Wheelchair Bob

I had one of those, and drilled it out with no problem. Like the others have already said, slow and steady is the trick. I didn't use any oil though, but you really aren't cutting a lot. Just take your time and it'll work just fine.

I have done the same as well. I will play devils advocate and say you don't need oil. When I drilled it with a recently sharpened cobalt bit, it wasn't even hot by the time it drilled through. Go slow! That I will recommend.

What size bit did you use? I have the same problem. I have a ss tube but wondering I. I should just order plastic to keep it simple.

Jacktar, i was able to drill 3 kegs out and replace with ss tubes. It's been a while but i believe i used a 3/8 (just guessing and I will check), but i had to ream out the holes for the tubes to fit. It worked but it was a lot of effort to ream out after the initial drill. I really needed a 32nd larger. I would size my bit to an out post on a keg that already has a ss dip tube, which I believe I did, but it was still a little small. Of course, the trick with drilling ss is to go slow - low rpms and oil regularly.

I would say no on the oil cuz u don't want that in ur keg. But go slow with enough pressure u want curly Q's or 6 and 9's with the shavings. I don't kno much bout kegs but I kno a lot bout metal. Carbid or kobalt drill.

Definitely use a carbide or cobalt bit. As far as oil in the keg, just clean really well. Has not been a problem in any of my 3 kegs. I have had multiple batches of beer in them and not a hint of a bad taste. You can drill without oil but go slow; if you go too fast, generates too much heat and hardens the ss and then it's really hard to drill.

I also had found the replacement plastic dip tubes, but they tend to deteriorate over time so I drilled and replaced with ss.

i run a mechanic shop for mining equipment so i know a thing or two about drilling holes. use oil!! it can be olive oil, dish soap, engine oil, whatever. it helps cut down on heat which will make the material harder and also weekends the cutting edge of the drill bit. go slow, keep a nice even pressure on the bit, and try to stay as straight as possible. sometimes it's also easier to use a small bit and work up in size 1/32 or 1/16" at a time.

Good luck!!

Thanks guys. I used a 5/16 bit with canola oil for lube. A slow and steady rotation and I was done in 2 minutes! A great seal with my new SS dip tube.

Back