What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i drank some... also accidently learned that my ESB is so clear (after only being brewed 3 weeks ago) that i could watch tv through it (granted it was upsidedown through the refraction of the glass and beer) but i was able to even read text on the screen though it with smaller crystal clarity

Gave a growler of my Galaxy Pale Ale to help a buddy seal the deal and earn his mukluks tonight.

Mukluks is a reference to "Eskimo brothers" from The League, except that rather than 2 guys having shared one girl, he's hoping to seal the deal on the younger sister of a previous girlfriend.

eagerly awaiting my NB delivery...as soon as it arrives I'm making a yeast starter for saturday morning's brew session! I have to leave for Montana Saturday afternoon (for work) and will be gone for a few months, so I have to rely on my brewing buddy and my wife to rack, dryhop and bottle.

I'm also sampling my recently bottled Graf...only been bottled a week, but I figured I'd try it before I went out of town. just a little carbonation...it'll be delicious when I come home for our Apocalypse Party on Dec. 21st

oh, and we're bottling my Amarillo/Simcoe Pale Ale tonight.

Lots of beer stuff to do before I get out of town!

Bottled my spiced Christmas Ale. It tasted a little like feet. Not sure what happened there...

(I know, I know, you're doing it wrong.)

on the way to work this morning, I day dreamed about what beer related thing I would do with the $550 million Powerball winnings (if I had won). Immediately thought of opening a brewery\brew pub near the NC coast.

If last night counts, boiled some pint jars and a quart jar for some yeast washing this weekend after I do some bottling. Also went by UPS to pick up my Zythos Summit IPA kit - smelled great when I unpacked the box to check if everything was there :). Used the included pint glass to enjoy a Sam Adams Latitude 48 while watching this week's episode of Moonshiners.

Alcoholalchemy said:
I counted my remaining handful of full bottles, counted my empty bottles, and then cried.

I just filled a beer from my keg and thought how wonderful it is to finally have just the "right" carbonization. Open the kegerator door and lifted the keg. About two more beers left. I too felt like crying.

I kegged my first: an amber and an American red. Very comfy with bottling - cant wait to see how these turn out!

Judging Belgian Strong & French/Belgian ales in a regional Beer Comp today. Nothing says, "Good morning!" Like a home brewed Belgian at 9 am :)

Ordered some extract kits, lock top bottles, and some bottle caps

Cut the door panel, off of a mini-fridge door, so I could stuff a 6.5g carboy in there. I used a box cutter, and the fridge almost cut me good. thats what I get for not measuring the carboy first, and attempting a quick fix...

Put together a recipe for my -30 amber ale using some miscellaneous ingredients I had floating around then brewed it. I'm curious to see how the Danstar BRY-97 is going to turn out.

Today? Tasting my Christmas beer, which was bottled twelve days ago. The fridge sample (the end of the bottling; a half-filled Kronenbourg 1664 bottle) is flat, but still nice and flavorful. I can definitely taste the spices.

Wednesday: I bought a pound each of four separate malts, three different hops, and American Ale II Wyeast.
Friday: Corn mill, which I can use for larger grains (rice does not work), three more pounds of malt, and Chinook hops.

Armed with everything I need for my first original-recipe, all-grain, five-gallon, and any other relevant-hyphenated-description batch, I will submit my recipe to the forum, if it's any good. If it is undrinkable, then I'll let you know. But, since that isn't going to be for another three months, I'll leave you all in suspense. That is, unless you ask for an ingredients list. Then, I'll open up.

Cleaned bottles in preparation for bottling next week....will of course have to sanitize right before bottling.

Also bought a propane heater for garage....for winter brewing! :D

Ordered ingredients for next weeks brew session....for a Nut Brown.

Just scored 9 6-oz tasting glasses from goodwill for 30 cents each :)

ForumRunner_20121201_202800.jpg

Sampled a bottle of my first 5 gal batch of Caribou Slobber! 2 weeks bottle conditioned...good, but needs another week. Also built my mash/lauter tun today in anticipation of going all grain for my next batch.

2012-12-01_12-49-24_876.jpg

2012-12-01_17-14-40_452.jpg

Did my first double decoction. It only took 7 1/2 hours and was all F'd up, but It's probably gonna be the best beer I've ever made...Temps were all wrong, but I hit my OG almost dead on..Go figure.

Cashed in a coupon for a growler and your choice of beverage to fill it with for only $.99. And I'm now sipping some of those contents. Less than a quarter a pint is hard to beat!

Building a 1/2" diamter pvC header for rinsing 16 bottles at a time after I clean them with Oxyclean and brush.....I can just hook up the hose and let it run as long as i want and they will rinse....as opposed to filling each bottle individually then dumping.....3 times like I usually do.

Reminder to self.........buy kegs and start kegging.....:rolleyes:

I brewed 10 gallons of Jami's Blonde Ale recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. This increases my pipeline to 40 gallons. One more brew session to get to my goal of 50 gallons on stand by. Then I just have to maintain it.:mug:

Brewed Brewer's Best Holiday Ale. I nailed the SG at 1.070. I felt pretty good since it was only my second batch working with grains. Before that was pre hopped extract kits.

Brewed a 3 gallon batch of Sierra Nevada Celebration... it was supposed to be a 5 gallon batch but i severely underestimated my volumes when using my new kettle... my sight glass lied to me

Transferred my 411 Ale to secondary and took a gravity reading (read that taste test) and found everything going well on the second batch of this very popular homebrew. Happy, happy, happy.

Took a gravity sample of my IIPA and am pleased I got down to 1.014 from 1.074. Drank the sample then added close to 4ozs dry-hop. At 8%, it's damn smooth, even with 117 heavenly ibu. Can't wait till it's done cause I want more!

Took a gravity sample of my Jubelale. Really noticed the difference in fg when mashing at higher temps. This one mashed at 158F and dropped to 1.02 from 1.064
Normally I mash 154F and can get my fg down to 1.012
Science!!

Back