Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They offer different levels of filter stands to work with the false bottom.

Level 1 is basically a mesh ring that the fb sits on top of.

Level 2 is the same mesh ring but has a top on it.

Level 3 is the same as level 2, with an additional, smaller, ring inside of the outer ring.

If you ordered a 2" stand, I'm guessing it will arrive looking similar, except maybe taller (?), than a level 2 filter stand.

OK, I actually figured it out. Since my FB is >17", I actually ordered a stand that looks like this:
False_Bottom_Stand_Large.jpg

Jaybird said:
I can look into it for you..
I will be at the store shipping, later tomorrow afternoon.

I will check for you..
Jay

Thanks :). I'm in no huge rush, just antsy to see them lol.

Thanks :). I'm in no huge rush, just antsy to see them lol.

Ohh I hear ya! Unfortunately our POS and web system don't automatically send tracking, we have to do it manually and that takes a lot of time. Our goal is to do a total upgrade next year for the website and get it to do a parcel tracking for you guys.

Cheers
Jay

Got my false bottoms and filters today!! :woot:

Can't wait to put them to use! Well, one of them at least...

A couple of weeks later, and I've finally built my new pick up tube, can't wait to test out my filter and false bottom tomorrow!!

Jay, I'm going to try my new false bottom and level 1 stand today in the MLT. Thanks for being so quick, and for answering my five million questions!

Dang, Yoop, you got a false bottom? Anyway, that aside, I ordered a 15" FB and stand today meself for a new mash kettle comin' in. Thanks JayBird..

It seems that IPower.com is having timeout issues. I can't seem to register an account on the site to place an order, which I've tried from multiple ISPs to make sure the issue isn't on my end. The timeout error mentioned something about a database issue and to contact the store owner.

Site registration is back up and working.

Jaybird, I have a question on the hop blocker mini: I am building a Kal clone e-brewery and was wondering if the mini hop blocker by itself is sufficient to filter hops in a BK with element? I intend to use primarily pellet hops.
My concerns with using both a false bottom with a mini hop blocker as a stand is space and ease of cleaning with an element in place.
Any recommendations?

Site registration is back up and working.

Jaybird, I have a question on the hop blocker mini: I am building a Kal clone e-brewery and was wondering if the mini hop blocker by itself is sufficient to filter hops in a BK with element? I intend to use primarily pellet hops.
My concerns with using both a false bottom with a mini hop blocker as a stand is space and ease of cleaning with an element in place.
Any recommendations?

Thanks for the posts about the site.

As for the mini hop blocker by its self I really dont think your going to have enough surface area with it alone. I do make a system that uses the stands that are teh same material as the mini and the fasle bottom material. But it only works right now with a 15" hinged. I can build these in 3 sections also so you can slip it under the element if you need to. I dont have them up on the site but PM me if its something you may be interested in and I can get it built for you as a custom part.
Cheers
Jay

Just wrapped up my brew day, HOLY CRAP this thing(s) rock!!!!

I held off for a long time, because, well, they are kind of expensive... But, I can say that tonight was the easiest runoff that I have ever had post boil, all thanks to jaybirds FB... I will have to post up a pic soon from my phone, because this false bottom stopped almost everything. I left a little bit of wort behind in the kettle, but I think it was my own fault for stopping the siphon when I was trying to capture the last little bit. But even then, it left about the same amount as without using the FB/filter, but I cannot stress how much easier it was to cool my beer and run the wort through my chiller, I had not one single issue with plugging my plate chiller or blocking the flow.

Money WELL spent in my oppinion.

That is a thing of beauty!!! Well done sir!!!! Feel free to ship samples to the store:cross: We do like BEER!!! LOL

Glad we could be a part of a killer brew day!!

Thanks for the picts, I love it!

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for the posts about the site.

As for the mini hop blocker by its self I really dont think your going to have enough surface area with it alone. I do make a system that uses the stands that are teh same material as the mini and the fasle bottom material. But it only works right now with a 15" hinged. I can build these in 3 sections also so you can slip it under the element if you need to. I dont have them up on the site but PM me if its something you may be interested in and I can get it built for you as a custom part.
Cheers
Jay
Thanks for the info Jay.
I can't tell from the pics on the site, but are the hop blockers open on one side, similar to the level 2 & 3 filter stands, or are they totally enclosed, minus the dip tube hole? Are there any major differences between the mini hop blocker perferations vs the filter stands?

Thanks for the info Jay.
I can't tell from the pics on the site, but are the hop blockers open on one side, similar to the level 2 & 3 filter stands, or are they totally enclosed, minus the dip tube hole? Are there any major differences between the mini hop blocker perferations vs the filter stands?

They are open on one side just like the filter/stands. The only difference is the filter/stands come with a sidewall of 1 3/8" to be used under the 15" FB and the mini you can choose the sidewall height.

Cheers
Jay

HollisBT said:
Just wrapped up my brew day, HOLY CRAP this thing(s) rock!!!!

I held off for a long time, because, well, they are kind of expensive... But, I can say that tonight was the easiest runoff that I have ever had post boil, all thanks to jaybirds FB... I will have to post up a pic soon from my phone, because this false bottom stopped almost everything. I left a little bit of wort behind in the kettle, but I think it was my own fault for stopping the siphon when I was trying to capture the last little bit. But even then, it left about the same amount as without using the FB/filter, but I cannot stress how much easier it was to cool my beer and run the wort through my chiller, I had not one single issue with plugging my plate chiller or blocking the flow.

Money WELL spent in my oppinion.

I just peeked in on my happily fermenting carboy in the closet, apparently I collected more wort than I thought last night lol.

I usually aim for 5.25 gallons in primary, and it looks like I've got somewhere slightly over 5.5 gallons in there right now, plus some leftover to dilute and use for a starter.

Received my 15" false bottom a couple of days ago. Installed it yesterday. I can't wait until Monday when I have the time to brew a hefeweizen.

DSC00782.jpg

Received my 15" false bottom a couple of days ago. Installed it yesterday. I can't wait until Monday when I have the time to brew a hefeweizen.

That is one killer looking sparge system too! It just makes the mash tun complete... thanks for the picture! Love it.
Cheers
Jay

JayBird-

I just ordered a 15" and level 1 from you...looking forward to it. I'm a bit worried though because I got the regular hinges on the underside instead of the reverse hinge. Did I NEED to get a reverse hinge?

I decided to go with the standard hinge because I thought that if the stand were the slightest bit low, then the FB would bend in the middle and the grain would just pass through the middle vs the perforations. I hope that makes sense?

Now, I'm wondering if the hinges on the underside are going to interfere with the level 1 stand...

JayBird-

I just ordered a 15" and level 1 from you...looking forward to it. I'm a bit worried though because I got the regular hinges on the underside instead of the reverse hinge. Did I NEED to get a reverse hinge?

I decided to go with the standard hinge because I thought that if the stand were the slightest bit low, then the FB would bend in the middle and the grain would just pass through the middle vs the perforations. I hope that makes sense?

Now, I'm wondering if the hinges on the underside are going to interfere with the level 1 stand...

I have never used one with a stand and the hinges down. My thought was the hinges would hit the stand and either bend the stand or open the hinges. I, myself have never seen the reversed hinged ones have any problems with them spreading apart and letting grain through. The stand is designed to be about 1/8" below the FB. That said in my kettle its about 1/4" and it works perfectly. Just let me know if you want me to build it the way it was ordered or reversed.

Cheers
Jay

It doesn't really matter which way the hinge goes... if you find the FB to be opening the wrong way... just turn it over... won't matter if the hinge is on the top or bottom of the false bottom...

It doesn't really matter which way the hinge goes... if you find the FB to be opening the wrong way... just turn it over... won't matter if the hinge is on the top or bottom of the false bottom...

This is very true unless there is a handle in the mix...

Cheers
Jay

oh yeah. I forget about the handles because I opted not to get one on mine. I used stainless wire instead and have 2 handles this way :D

But you could still turn it over... your handle just would be useless at that point :D

Hey All-

Just wanted to give my own personal review of Jaybirds actual business; NorCal Brewing Solutions.

I have NOT received my false bottom yet (it shipped today) but will report in on that when I get it.

EDIT: I got the FB and filter in the mail promptly, it was packed well. Great quality, the welds look pretty decent, and I gotta say that these are probably the sturdiest FB's around. Everything lines up perfectly in the keg, and I gotta say that I like the handle on top because it helps me disconnect the dip tube easily.

If you look at a few earlier posts, you can see that I mistakenly ordered standard hinges on the FB for use with the level 1 filter stand. Realizing that the hinges might interfere, I contacted Jay today as well as the guys who handle the orders and let them know that I'd like to change my order to a FB with reverse hinges.

I knew that it may have already shipped, and if so I could live with my mistake, no big deal.

Here comes the good part: Jay's guys Victor and Dom ALREADY caught my mistake and corrected it BEFORE I even asked. How's that for quality control? Plus, they let me know it was shipping today and hooked me up with a tracking number. I know not every company can provide that level of service all the time, but I think it's awesome and thought they should be recognized for it.

Now, I can't wait to get my stuff :ban: :mug:

Jay, Received your false bottom today. That thing fits like a... Oh! ... Yeah, it really fits nice. Thanks. Great job! :mug:

Well thank you sir! I take great pride in building them for you guys. Feel free to ship samples of the wonderful beer you are making to me. You will have to address it C/O Jaybird or else the other guys in the store will get em' and drink em' :D

Thanks for the props!
Cheers
Jay

Had a great talk with Jay this morning, about their false bottom stand (something that became available after I got my false bottom from him). Got one coming in the mail, and should have it before my brew-day next weekend (12/15/12). :rockin:

As always, good talking with Jay, getting great info at the same time. Personally, I wouldn't get a false bottom from anywhere else (as long as he's around/making them).

I'm going to have to see what I can also send off to him for 'sampling' ;) Maybe a bottle of my 12.5% wee heavy when it's carbonated. :eek:

Had a great talk with Jay this morning, about their false bottom stand (something that became available after I got my false bottom from him). Got one coming in the mail, and should have it before my brew-day next weekend (12/15/12). :rockin:

As always, good talking with Jay, getting great info at the same time. Personally, I wouldn't get a false bottom from anywhere else (as long as he's around/making them).

I'm going to have to see what I can also send off to him for 'sampling' ;) Maybe a bottle of my 12.5% wee heavy when it's carbonated. :eek:

WoooHoooo I would LOVE a Wee Heavy :ban:

Yeah Man Nice chat! Thanks for the props, as always! Shoot me a PM when your stand gets there..
Cheers
Jay

WoooHoooo I would LOVE a Wee Heavy :ban:

Yeah Man Nice chat! Thanks for the props, as always! Shoot me a PM when your stand gets there..
Cheers
Jay

Oh yeah... Also got an 8.9% old ale carbonating. Both are on CO2 in the basement right now. Started them carbonating earlier this week. Also need to bottle up my maple mead/wine. If that comes out well, I'll include a bottle of that (only 14%)... :D

I recently purchased a 10 gallon round cooler from Home Depot to make a mash tun. I found your thread on here from 2009 and am curious if you are still making them? Inside measurement is roughly 12x12.

Well I have had a thread on HBT for about 3 years now selling Stainless steel false bottoms for kettles and what ever else you needed. I have sold hundreds of them here and I have no idea where the thread went to. So If you by chance have a way to post up pictures of the false bottoms so others can see the work please do so here.
If you want the best false bottom money can buy PM me. I will post up pricing later on tonight when I get to the store.
Again I am sorry about the thread Tx is looking into where it went.
Cheers
Jay

Jaybird, are you still making false bottoms. If so, I'm intersted in one for a 12 x 12 round cooler.

Pricing for the best damn False bottom money can buy(so I have been told :D)
A 15" hinged false bottom shipped is $95 that includes shipping and paypal charges
A 12" false bottom shipped is $47 that includes shipping and paypal charges.
I will drill a hole in it for a dip tube for no extra charge.
I can cut these down to whatever size you need from there.
I can also build you a diptube assembly that will work with the false bottom and come out easy for cleaning, those are $22.00 ea. If you buy one w/ a false bottom there is no extra shipping charges.
I am going to order more material within the next week or so. So if you need a big one please let me know. I can get it on the cut sheet.
As of right now I only have 2 15" hinged ones left and a few 12"
Shoot me a PM if you want one.
Cheers
Jay

Jaybird, are you still making false bottoms. If so, I'm intersted in one for a 12 x 12 round cooler.

You bet! More than ever..... Ill shoot you a PM on how to attack your project..

A couple of quick click's on the NorCal site would have answered the question for you...

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Conversion_Picnic_Cooler_10_Gallon.html

I'm just going to add that Jay does damn fine work.

:off:

I love that you guys always have my back and always help me!

Cheers
Jay

When you find a company that makes a great product, has great customer service/support, you tend to be rather loyal to them. IMO, you really do get what you pay for in this case. Knowing I could call up and get a 100% custom configured FB fabricated, on the quick (compared with many too), that has solid support by the place that made it, is worth more than the price difference with other FB's. You guys seriously won me over with the first purchase and subsequent support I got in use/installing of it (properly). Willingness to listen to the customers is also pretty rare these days. Some give you lip service there, but you guys actually do it. :rockin:

Any future false bottoms I need (and several other things too) will be from NorCal/Jaybird. As long as you guys continue to make them that is. :D

Hey Jay,

I purchased on of your hinged FB's for my keggle and I need to drill a new dip tube hole. What kind of bit should I use to drill the new hole?

Thanks!

Back