Low Gravity Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inhousebrew

Reaction score
Just thinking lately that I would like to make a low gravity pale ale. One with some good hop character yet with an ABV that is conducive to drinking a bunch. This is just an idea, but wondering what you all think

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs 8.0 oz Rahr 2-Row Pale (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 61.1 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 27.8 %
12.0 oz Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.3 %
4.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.8 %
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 10.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 3.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 9.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 2.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 5.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 10 -
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.6 %
Bitterness: 32.0 IBUs
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 5.9 SRM

Looks great to me!

I've been working on the same goals, or at least close to the same. I'm a lightweight (literally, 130 pounds) but I am a hophead. I drink way too many beers each evening, but I don't want to be unable to function. I'd like to have an all evening sipper, but an IPA-type of hopping. This has been my Holy Grail. I'm not to where I think I've perfected it, but I'm happy with all of the beer so far.

My goals are to have a 5% or under, hoppy beer with firm but not overpowering bitterness. Adding lots of late hops has been a huge improvement for me. Like what you have there!

Awesome! Glad to hear I appear to be on the right track. It was something I was thinking about as I was pounding through my third or fourth delicious 6% APA and feeling pretty drunk. Yet still craving another one. I figured a nice flavorful hop that could make itself felt would be good as well as a hefty dry hop addition. I'll have to think about this guy for a while and maybe change up the hop additions because I think my store is out of galaxy before brewing but seems like a good hoppy session beer would be nice to have on hand.

Well, I just tasted my first small glass of the recipe listed above and have to say it came out to be a pretty good APA. I uncharacteristically overshoot my target gravity by about eight points bumping it up to about 5.2% ABV so the Americanized session beer is out the window for this one but I like the results nonetheless. Have to drink a few more of these and think about it but it smells wonderful, looks decent for now and definitely has some fruitiness coming through from the galaxy hops.

Back