100% homegrown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again!

The internet puts yet another bee in the bonnet- it is contributing to my delinquency. I have six hop plants growing now, and have just started studying what types of barley and wheat will grow best in my area. I have an IPA fermenting in a closet, along with a Cooper's lager conditioning in bottles. If I would have just been content to sit around and watch TV, this never would have happened. Worse yet, I am finding the inner desire to make sausages and smoke meats. What's next? Cheese from raw milk?!?

Tragic, it is.

gnarlyhopper

Once again!

The internet puts yet another bee in the bonnet- it is contributing to my delinquency. I have six hop plants growing now, and have just started studying what types of barley and wheat will grow best in my area.

Gnarly, are you in WA? You should be fine. Barley is really a hardy crop, and it should do fine anywhere outside of the tropics. I was under the impression that there are regional varieties of barley that will only grow well in a certain region. Couldn't have been more wrong, at least on the small scale that I grew at. My barleys were from northern Scotland and the upper Midwest, and they did great here in coastal CA.

Like a lot of crops, barley doesn't like to be too wet, so if you decide to irrigate, control it carefully when rain's in the forecast!

Worse yet, I am finding the inner desire to make sausages and smoke meats. What's next? Cheese from raw milk?!

That's the spirit!

potassium deficiency

Could be...but the leaves aren't small or blue-green. Hmm...

I have been recently fertilizing with 2.5 g of 15-5-15 per plant per week, which should clear up any NPK deficiencies. But I got a really weird result! The new growth is a pale lime green:

2012-05-30_16-43-41_660.jpg

2012-05-30_16-44-45_308.jpg

2012-05-30_16-46-46_133.jpg

Is this a problem? Anybody else run into this? I don't know what to do besides give the fertilizer a rest for a week or two and see if it clears up. Any ideas?

New growth will do that sometimes. My Brewers Gold do something similar (just not so drastic.) Give it another day or two, they'll turn more into a forest green. The leaves need time to develop more chroloplasts (and, thus, green!!)

How long have you been fertilizing? What did you start with (ferts/soil)? You don't need a lot of ferts if you started with good soil. I've done one fertilization since I planted 45 days ago, and that was only because of a transplant.

It looks a lot like pictures of some iron deficient plants I've seen recently. If that's what it is some chelated iron will fix it. It doesn't look too severe whatever it is.

It could be iron, but the leaf veins are not the dark green color like they are with Fe deficiency.

New growth will do that sometimes.
That's good to hear!
How long have you been fertilizing? What did you start with (ferts/soil)? You don't need a lot of ferts if you started with good soil.

I started with a mix of the native clay soil and compost. I've added 5 g of 15-5-15 to each plant. Do you think this could just be encouraging a big growth spurt, and the chloroplasts haven't filled in yet?

My hops are doing the same thing. I was concered at first but it seems to go away in a day or two and the plants are still healthy and growing good.

My hops are doing the same thing. I was concered at first but it seems to go away in a day or two and the plants are still healthy and growing good.

Glad to hear it! Mine are turning a darker green now, but in the same pattern, from the stem to the outer portions of the leaf. I guess that the fertilizer encourages a growth spurt? Since the plants aren't dead (Far from it!) I will fertilize again next week and see if I get the same phenomenon.

I promised drummstikk I would post some pics of my barley. Forgot to take pictures while seeding but here is the little field by my house.

Whoa, look at all those rows! Looks great! You've also got a beautiful view there. Looks like paradise.

First, the hops:

The yellowness I observed led to the death of the yellow bines:

2012-06-11_15-20-26_325.jpg

I think they simply got too much fertilizer too quickly. They received 5g of 15-5-15 within an 8 day period. I haven't fertilized since May 24th, and I haven't seen any signs of disease since then!

I have been training 6 bines per plant and pruning every other shoot below 3 feet above the soil. Recently, the strongest plants have been sending out lateral bines above 4 feet or so:

2012-06-11_15-19-19_747.jpg

The Chinook bines that I decapitated at 6 feet high have not sent out lateral bines! But they have produced burrs from their last several nodes. My Columbus plant has also produced some early burrs:

2012-06-11_15-17-49_366.jpg

which are now cones.

Now that the summer solstice is past, what should I be doing differently? Is it time to stop giving Nitrogen and switch over to Potassium? Should I change my pruning strategy?

On to barley:

I've settled on a threshing technique: I just bang the plants on the inside of a plastic garbage pail. Then I climb in the pail and stomp on the material to finish breaking up heads and awns.

2012-06-15_19-59-33_744.jpg

To winnow, I pour the grains + chaff to another pail in front of a strong fan:

2012-06-15_20-04-32_766.jpg

2012-06-15_20-23-42_616.jpg

This slowly purifies the grains:

2012-06-15_20-05-21_69.jpg

After just a bit of manual stem removal,

2012-06-15_19-59-44_867.jpg

you're left with a nice end product and a lot of hay:

2012-06-15_20-00-28_126.jpg

So far, I've found than an hour of work produces one pound of grain. Oy, it's slow work! It really makes me appreciate how much labor this all took before industrialization. Here's to beer, which never ceases to open my eyes to the world!

I can't seem to get more than 1 lb grain / hour when I'm threshing by hand. I do not want to go this slowly. I could go faster by spreading out a bunch of plants on the ground and beating the hell out of them, but then I'll lose some grains that get scattered, or that I can't sweep up afterward.

Looks like I'm going to have to make a tough decision, and increase throughput at an albeit small but real loss in yield. Still thinking about how to do it, but leaning toward spreading out a tarp on pavement and walking all over the plants. I'm going to put on some boots and just tear their a$$es up. Seems simpler than using a flail, and less prone to projectile seeds.

At least winnowing is 100% solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about taking a saws-all and cutting all the heads off your bundles? Then put the heads in a big bag and beat the crap out of the bag. Finish it with your winnowing process. Or bring it all up to Montana and toss it in our combine. It will do 50,000lbs per hour ;).

How about taking a saws-all and cutting all the heads off your bundles? Then put the heads in a big bag and beat the crap out of the bag. Finish it with your winnowing process. Or bring it all up to Montana and toss it in our combine. It will do 50,000lbs per hour ;).

Most of the time is spent looking for late tillers with heads that don't line up with the rest. These late tillers are more often not plump, so I've wondered if I should even be going after them. I've experimented with just going after the early tillers manually. It's fast except in plants that were lodged -- in these the heads don't line up anyway so you have to spend time sorting through hay to find them.

Ha, I think my field would get lost in your combine. It's only 50,000x faster!

Wow, looks great! How often to you run the irrigator?

It looks like a lot less work than a ditch and irrigation tubes.

Wet years I will water twice...4" each time. This year is really dry....may do 4 waterings. Probably just 2" for the last.

Almanac recently let me know that their brewday is August 8! Oh boy, it's time to cram in a lot of malting.

Actually, rewind -- it's time to finish the threshing! When I got the email from Almanac, I had only threshed 16 lbs! I've now worked my way through the whole field, and it produced 175 lbs of Conlon 2-row.

The trick was not trying to get every last grain. Previously, I was separating out each bundle and getting all the heads. I switched to spreading the bundles out on a tarp and stomping them en masse:

2012-07-16_15-45-01_124.jpg

2012-07-16_16-18-59_195.jpg

But even this was pretty slow. Now I'm taking the whole bundle of grain, shoving it head-first into a plastic pail, and using my hands to tear off the heads that are exposed. I don't untie the bundle, and I don't go after any heads on short late tillers. With this technique, my speed went up tenfold to about 10 lbs/hour. The efficiency has dropped a bit -- I know because I can see heads that I have missed, and they are everywhere!

But hey, I'm done. I have a feeling that even people who grew grains for a living before industrialization didn't go after every last head of grain. They threshed on the dirt by dragging a wooden sledge over their grains with a donkey. Surely some grains were lost during this process, and surely some grains were never separated from the plants. I am convinced that threshing is like any other industrial process -- you balance throughput with accuracy, pick some point you're happy with, and call it a day. I just don't have 180 hours to put into it -- I barely even have 18, so I went for speed.

Now, on to malting. The first step is to wash the grains. I put them in plastic buckets and turn on the carbon-filtered water:

2012-07-17_11-21-05_724.jpg

2012-07-17_11-21-30_211.jpg

This washing step cleans the dust and dirt off the grains, but it also serves as the last stage of winnowing. There is a ton of chaff that didn't blow away -- it now easily floats to the top of the water while the grains sink:

2012-07-17_11-27-56_225.jpg

Unfilled grains also float up along with the chaff. You just skim it off the top:

2012-07-17_11-35-45_992.jpg

Eventually you're left with grains, very small pieces of chaff, and dirty water. You can pour off the chaff + water and wash the grains 2-3 more times:

2012-07-17_11-35-50_742.jpg

The water should be clear after the last wash. A little yellow color from the grains is okay, but any turbidity in the water is dirt that you haven't washed away yet. Keep on washing until the water turns clear.

The next step is to soak the grains for about 24 hours total without depriving them of oxygen for more than 8 hours at a time. Sound tricky? One potential way to do it is to bubble air through the soaking water:

2012-07-17_15-36-48_188.jpg

This is what commercial maltsters do, but I have since stopped doing it. I am worried that some grains may have suffocated in the first batch, maybe the grains that were stuck down in the corners at the bottom of the buckets. To be very sure that the grains get enough oxygen, I just drain the grains after 8 hours of soaking by dumping them into a keg tub with a crack in the bottom. It works like the biggest colander I've ever seen:

2012-07-30_10-47-03_190.jpg

After an 8 hour soak, the grains should get at least 6 hours of breathing time, and more is okay. Total soaking time should be 24 hours, so they need three soaks of 8 hours each. Make sure to use water you would brew with, because any solids in malting water (like chloramines!) will make their way into your beer.

By the end of the last soak, the grains should all have rootlets beginning to emerge from one end, and the grains should be soft enough that you can crush them with your fingernails. They should have about the consistency of an unchewed stick of gum. Not bazooka joe (hard as a rock), and not trident (pretty soft), but maybe more like the consistency of old-school juicy fruit. Definitely not mushy, but...compliant. That's the texture you're shooting for. If you bothered to weigh a sample before and after the soak, you should be looking for a moisture % in the upper 40's, calculated by (wet weight - dry weight) / wet weight.

Now the grains should continue to germinate outside of water for several days. They will be generating heat and carbon dioxide during this time. To allow both to escape, the grains need to be in a relatively thin layer -- 6 inches deep at the most. I began by lining a large cardboard box lid with a garbage bag and putting the grains in it:

2012-07-19_10-38-49_0.jpg

This may have actually been okay, but laying the garbage bag on the floor and putting the grains in a pile in it works equally well:

2012-07-28_22-28-19_98.jpg

One thing is for sure -- that first batch of malt was not right.

It didn't smell right. That was my first clue that something was wrong. During the first few days of germination, when rootlets are first emerging, the malt is called chit, and it should smell like fresh cucumbers. As the rootlets grow, the malt switches to smelling more like alfalfa sprouts -- a pleasant but decidedly vegetal aroma. As the shoot (locked inside the hull) makes it way toward the end of the seed, the malt can begin to smell slightly earthy, like wet loamy dirt. It can even have a slightly sour note to it like fertile soil sometimes does, but it should never smell unpleasant or rotten.

I believe that I accidentally killed some grains during the soak for the first batch, because in addition to the normal aromas, the malt occasionally smelled like farts, and toward the end, it had a distinct rotting garbage smell to it. So wrong. To top things off, the entire batch began showing the fruiting bodies of white and blue/green molds just as it was finishing up, with the accompanying putrid smells. Needless to say, I threw it out, all 69 lbs of it! So sad!!!!!

I have malted grains successfully about 10 times now. But I've never malted 69 lbs at once. I should have practiced at that large scale with the inexpensive 2-row that I buy from Colorado Malting Company. Man, I sure would have minded throwing out 69 lbs. of that 2-row a lot less than I did throwing out my hard-earned grains.

I haven't completely identified what the problem was, but I have fixed it. The current batch of 60 lbs. of malt is going beautifully:

2012-07-30_23-42-41_884.jpg

Moving on! How do you know when the grains are done germinating?

The rootlets stick out of the grain, and their presence tells you that the malting process is working. But rootlet growth is affected by things like moisture content and the type of material the rootlets are growing into. For example, the rootlets in contact with the plastic liner always tend to grow longer. You really shouldn't pay any attention to the rootlets as an indicator of malt conversion.

Instead, you should be watching the shoot, called the acrospire, which is visible underneath the husk. You don't need to slice open grains or tear them apart to see the acrospire. You can judge the length of the acrospire through the husk. Check it out; this grain's acrospire has grown to 75-90% of the total length of the grain:

2012-07-30_21-38-52_116.jpg

You can see it as the elongated lump that extends from the rootlets in a straight line to the other side of the grain. I layed an arrow over the acroscpire to show its location and length:

threequartersmalted.jpg

This grain's acrospire has grown to over 100% of the length of the grain, and it has just begun to poke out the other side:

2012-07-30_21-42-10_554.jpg

100percentmalted.jpg

Once you look at 10-20 grains, you will begin to be able to see the acrospire's length every time. Now, if I were making Pilsner malt, I would stop the entire batch right now by drying. 75% of the grain's length is long enough for the acrospire to grow for Pilsner malt.

But I'm making caramel malt for Almanac. For caramel (crystal) malt, you don't need to worry as much about the consequences of overmodificaiton (high free amino nitrogen). Still, this batch is almost done. When the acrospires of most grains get close to 100% of the grain's length, it is fully modified.

(BTW, most of the advances in malting that the British accomplished, allowing for efficient single-infusion mashing, were actually genetic changes in malting barley strains that cause the grains to be highly synchronized in their germination. In nature, some grains should sprout early while others wait, hedging their bets in case there is a late frost. As you might guess, this trait leads to more than a few undermodified grains, requiring a decoction. But all of our malting grains today, including Conlon, have been selected for synchronous modification.)

I will probably stop this batch tomorrow by spreading it thin and turning a box fan on it. This won't dry the grains completely, but it will slow down their growth enough while I take them through the next step, which is unique to caramel malts: converting starches to sugars in the husk. More on this when I know whether my current method for taking grains through the 68C temperature rest works or not!

Also on the yellow hop leaves, when I had it happen to mine it was just a nitrogen deficiency. http://grow.corymathews.com/2012/yellow-hop-leaves/

Thanks for the kind words! And thanks for linking to your blog -- fantastic!

You know, your yellow leaves look like they turned yellow uniformly, whereas mine began at the petiole and worked their way outward toward the leaf margin. I think in my case, the yellow leaves were actually caused by an overabundance of fertilizer. I gave them two doses of 2.5g each 15-5-15, 8 days apart. I've never seen the yellow leaf problem show up again since then, so there's a pretty high correlation between the fertilizer and yellow leaves.

I still have no idea if this amount of fertilizer is too high, because it's very hard to find the total amounts of fertilizer people give their hops. Often, people will list the relative proportions of N-P-K without saying how much total they applied.

Can anybody chime in -- what's an appropriate amount of fertilizer to give each hop plant on a weekly basis?

While we're on the subject of problems, I came back from a week-long trip on July 9 to discover that the automated irrigation system for the hops had been turned off:

2012-07-19_20-18-46_585.jpg

causing the bine death you see pictured above. To be fair to the perpetrator, one of the irrigation timers had sprung a leak, and I hadn't done anything about it before leaving town. Somebody who was likely well-meaning just turned the valve, shutting off water to the leaky controller and my hops.

Hey, this is part of the cost of growing on somebody else's land. The benefit is that I won't have to dig up my hops and start over ever year or two when I move house, and I don't have to purchase and maintain the irrigation system. Worth it!

In addition, it seems that most of my plants slowed their growth rate around the same time as the water stress. Now, this may be because of water stress, but it seems like hops generally slow down a few weeks after the solstice. Is that generally true? I've heard the anecdote several times that hops switch from vegetative to flowering mode around the solstice, but I've never heard someone commit to it as a hard rule. What do you guys think?

My Chinook plant gave an odd early harvest of just a few cones, which I've dried and stored:

2012-07-19_20-22-58_429.jpg

But for enough to brew a 100% homegrown batch, it looks like I'll rely on my Glacier plant:

2012-07-29_15-02-56_923.jpg

The rest of the plants don't have burrs in significant quantities. Eh, I guess it's a first-year plant thing. I was surprised, however, that four plants that I transplanted after one year of growth didn't produce more.

Meanwhile, a scrawny Cascade rhizome that I guerrilla planted and forgot about all season will be my second-biggest producer!

2012-07-17_16-48-51_966.jpg

2012-07-17_16-48-41_555.jpg

2012-08-01_14-10-13_726.jpg

I guess things do depend highly on variety, and I'm guessing that there is a lot of epigenetic variability that we don't quite understand. For example, I hear a lot of stories of individual plants having a sort of "personality" that differs from the cultivar's typical behavior. My Columbus plant has now for 2 years in a row produced a handful of very early burrs then stopped growing. I guess to truly know if the variation were epigenetic or environmental, I'd need several more of each variety growing side-by-side.

Back to malting -- my solution for making caramel malt is this:

1) Soak 3x 8 hours with 6-8 hour rests in between
2) Germinate turning 2x/day at room temp until acrospires are 100% grain length
3) Soak the modified malt again for 6-8 hours. This step prevents scorching in the following steps. Just a reminder that for a base malt or a toasted / roasted malt, you would go straight to grain drying at this point and skip the secondary soaking. The grains should look plump and the rootlets should be white and tender. Any crispiness at this stage will lead to burnt malt in the next stages:

2012-08-01_22-42-38_570.jpg

4) Stew the grains at 68C (154F) for 3 hours. I use a cooler and a 5-foot fermwrap with a temperature controller to achieve the temperature rest. It takes a very long time to reach 68C -- the ramp up to 68 plus the 3-hour rest takes about 24 hours. If your oven goes low enough, by all means stick it in a dish and cook it.

I layer the ferm-wrap with grains in the cooler, like making lasagna. This is so heat is distributed evenly. I usually make the layers of grains thicker as I go up, reasoning that most of the heat produced by the lower layers of ferm-wrap will convect updward:

2012-08-02_21-12-50_486.jpg

then I stick the temp. controller's probe in the top:

2012-08-02_21-44-42_208.jpg

and seal it up, wrapping everything in layers of blankets:

2012-08-02_21-49-43_737.jpg

Dirty sock is optional, probably.

Cautionary interlude: Do not attempt to heat the grains in your cooler with a light bulb. It may be tempting to think: Hmm, 5 feet of ferm-wrap at 20 Watts / foot... that's more power than a 60W bulb. I'll just try mounting a bulb in a reflective housing to keep the grains from touching it directly, and all will be well:

2012-07-27_21-53-52_793.jpg

2012-07-27_21-56-15_385.jpg

2012-08-05_19-05-45_677.jpg

2012-08-05_19-05-57_474.jpg

It does not work.

5) Once the malt is converted (3 hours at 68C), extract it from the cooler and load it into baking dishes. You will probably have to do several rounds of baking if you're making a large batch. Cook the converted malt at 275F to caramelize. The length of time you cook it will determine how dark the caramel malt is. In my oven, 3.5 hours at 275F seems to produce a malt similar to Crystal 60L. This step will be highly variable depending on the type of oven you have. You even get a huge amount of variation within an oven. The malt on the right was cooked on the middle rack, while the malt on the left was cooked on the bottom rack:

2012-08-01_22-12-26_132.jpg

For my oven, I have to cover the grains with foil to prevent the heating element from burning the top layer of grains:

2012-08-01_11-49-18_142.jpg

I also have to add water to prevent the grains on the sides of the dish from scorching. Here is an example of some stuff I had to throw out!:

2012-07-27_21-56-20_621.jpg

It is very hard to separate the scorched grains from the good ones when this happens, so just add enough water to avoid it entirely. I add about 3/4 liter to my baking trays, which hold about 5-7 lbs of dry malt. Some malting websites maintained by maltsters will instruct you to dry the malt as you kiln it. That is so wrong! Maybe that's how you do it with a commercial convection oven or whatever type of kiln they have in a malting house, but with your home radiant oven, the malt must be kept moist or it will quickly burn, even at 275F. However, after adding enough water and covering the dish, I don't need to turn the malt at all during the 3.5 hour baking. I just put it in and set a timer.

It's better to have a little too much water than not enough. You can end up with a little layer of caramel goodness at the bottom of your dish:

2012-08-01_21-20-22_567.jpg

If it weren't for all the rootlets, you could put it on ice cream:

2012-08-01_21-25-05_705.jpg

6) Now you can dry the malt. Go ahead and pour any liquid caramel that remains from the previous step onto the malt. As it dries, it will coat the grains in sugar, and that stuff will not be wasted. People love to build oasts for this step, but if you live outside of the humid East, you can get the grains dry enough to mill with a box fan and a few days of patience:

2012-08-05_18-24-58_662.jpg

No matter how you do it, it's very important not to allow the grains to remain wet for long. They will mold quickly if moisture is allowed to remain on their surface. Spread the grains thin on a tarp or plastic garbage bag and turn the grains in the morning and evening for the first few days they are drying. This will prevent a solid outer shell forming around a liquid, moldy core. (Yes, it happened; sad. I had to throw out even more malt because of this!)

To accelerate the drying, I'm storing finished malt in a corn-drying room at the field. Let's hope I get enough finished and dried by Wednesday when the guys at Almanac need it! The goal is at least 50 lbs. of C60 malt. I started with 175 lbs, but malting at this scale has been a real challenge and I've had to toss out a lot of grains.

No matter what happens over the next few days, I've got enough grains still on plants at the field to go back and make at least one 5 gal batch of 100% homegrown!

drummstikk said:
Almanac recently let me know that their brewday is August 8! Oh boy, it's time to cram in a lot of malting.

This whole time I've been following this thread I didn't realize you were a local boy! I love Almanac.. In fact I'm drinking a pale ale from their snifter glass as we speak. I just wish their beer was easier to find. I have a lot of good friends on the peninsula.

This whole time I've been following this thread I didn't realize you were a local boy! I love Almanac.. In fact I'm drinking a pale ale from their snifter glass as we speak. I just wish their beer was easier to find. I have a lot of good friends on the peninsula.

It's hard enough to find on the Peninsula / SF! Where do you get Almanac in Ukiah? Can you find it on tap anywhere?

Just dropped off 66 lbs of caramel malt, probably 60-75L, at Hermitage brewery in San Jose!

I walked in, and one of the Hermitage brewers said, "Is that it?"

Haha, yep, that's it:

2012-08-07_13-36-15_128.jpg

Here are the last few steps leading up to the finished product:

A few days ago, I realized that the finished malt was not drying fast enough. It wouldn't actually be ready to be milled by today at the rate it was going. I had the malt stored in paper sacks in a dehumidified warm room kept at 105F. So to speed up drying, I ripped open the bags that still contained damp malt, and laid the grains out flat:

2012-08-06_13-30-18_179.jpg

2012-08-06_13-30-50_393.jpg

2012-08-06_13-31-22_38.jpg

2012-08-06_23-24-19_778.jpg

That did the trick, and everything was nice and crispy today.

Still, the grains were not rock hard, as my caramel malt usually is. They really could have spent another day or two drying before I would consider them to be shelf-stable. But it hardly matters since they'll be used tomorrow.

The next step is to separate the dry malt from the rootlets that formed during germination. These are called culms, and you can knock them off of dry malt by just stirring the malt in a bucket:

2012-08-07_11-34-20_642.jpg

You don't need to use your clothes dryer or any mechanical means to knock off the culms unless the malt is much wetter.

Finally, do one last winnowing step in front of a box fan. You'll end up with a pile of a small amount of chaff and a whole lot of rootlets:

2012-08-07_13-21-17_204.jpg

That's it -- from dirt to malt:

2012-08-07_17-51-51_794.jpg

I'll try to take some good pics at the brewday tomorrow for Almanac's all-California beer, called Fresh Hop.

Absolutely badass mate!

Haha, thanks mate! Feels really good to hear that!

Today was brewday! Luckily, there were two skilled brewers on hand from Hermitage / Tied House Brewery to take care of this 25 barrel mash tun:

2012-08-08_08-27-38_101.jpg

and boil kettle:

2012-08-08_08-29-18_406.jpg

We mashed in, and I was sure I could see my little caramel grains in there somewhere:

DSCF1089.JPG

Maybe those small dark dots?

2012-08-08_09-32-05_241.jpg

Hmm, maybe not.

But there they are!

2012-08-08_13-26-02_875.jpg

2012-08-08_13-25-56_470.jpg

Because the grains were still not bone dry when they went through the mill, most of them were not broken into pieces, but still broken open:

2012-08-08_13-23-11_677.jpg

Some were not broken at all:

DSCF1209.JPG

This could just be due to the mill, but I bet these grains would be below the plump cutoff if I had run them over a screen.

This was fun!

DSCF1197.JPG

and the brewers were more than happy to let an enthusiastic home brewer rake out the mash tun. Anything is fun the first time, right?

Jesse Friedman from Almanac showed up with 80 lbs. of Cascade, Chinook, Ivanhoe, and Gargoyle (Gargoyle???) that were picked THIS MORNING in Lake County.

DSCF1175.JPG

DSCF1149.JPG

The Ivanhoe is a modern-day mimic of Cluster, and has a subdued aroma as you'd expect with American-type resiny and hop oil aromas. The Gargoyle on the other hand had a fruity grape-like aroma. It was really fantastic!

They promptly found their way, tags and all, into the mash tun, which was to be used as a hopback:

DSCF1250.JPG

Meanwhile, in the boil kettle, this happened:

DSCF1191.JPG

a scaled-up version of the meringue-like stuff you see right before your kettle boils, which lead to this:

2012-08-08_14-44-12_248.jpg

I realize it's a bit tough to asses the color without a clear glass and some sense of scale, but let me tell you -- it was darker and more golden orange than you would expect from base malts alone. Even at 4-5% of the grist, I see the field in there!

From this point on, it's in the very capable hands of Peter and Greg, two brewers with Hermitage. Can't wait to taste it!

Now, on to that other goal: 100% homegrown

Other sources of seed -- yes, the National Plant Germplasm System will send you 5g of just about any seed in the world. That's where I got the bere barley seed from.

Outstanding project! I just acquired a few acres of my own in western MD, and hope to grow some hops and a bit of barley, myself. Out of curiosity, when you requested the seeds from the NPGS, what did you put as your "research topic"?

Gotta buckle down & till a bit of field...

Cheers!
--Misha

Outstanding project! I just acquired a few acres of my own in western MD, and hope to grow some hops and a bit of barley, myself. Out of curiosity, when you requested the seeds from the NPGS, what did you put as your "research topic"?

Gotta buckle down & till a bit of field...

Cheers!
--Misha

Thanks for the very kind words!!!

I am intensely jealous of your recent purchase. For the NPGS, I explained that California no longer has any locally adapted varieties of malting barley. Every production malting barley was bred for the upper midwest: Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas, Minnesota, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba. They are resistant to upper midwest diseases and do best in an upper midwest growing season.

It wasn't always this way, so barley should be able to be adapted to most local climates in the US. Lynn Gallagher at UC Davis is undertaking a closely-related project (she's legit!), moving genes for resistance against local fungi and viruses into production malting barley varieties to engineer a California malt.

I just explained that I was going to use artificial selection to develop a locally-adapted malting strain. As it turns out, the crop did very well, so I don't think there was much selection pressure, at least not this first year. I'm told that typically when people try to grow midwestern barleys in the Bay Area, they get hammered by stripe rusts and yellow barley dwarf virus. I got lucky.

Anyway, tell them you're developing a malting barley variety for the Mid-Atlantic region, because that's precisely what you are doing! No need to stretch the truth -- NPGS will be more than happy to give you some material for your project.

Good luck on the farm! Are you going to plant a frost-resistant winter variety, or are you plowing to prepare the field for planting next spring?

Anyway, tell them you're developing a malting barley variety for the Mid-Atlantic region, because that's precisely what you are doing! No need to stretch the truth -- NPGS will be more than happy to give you some material for your project.

Good luck on the farm! Are you going to plant a frost-resistant winter variety, or are you plowing to prepare the field for planting next spring?

Sounds simple enough... Developing a malting barley variety for the Mid-Atlantic. All the better, 'cause it's true! :)

I believe they occasionally do winter wheat, hereabouts; I'd like to try my hand at a winter barley. Unfortunately, the field is "too far gone" to put anything in it this fall. (We bought the place after the last owner died--and he hadn't kept up with anything for likely a few years. On the bright side, the field has been fallow for a while... On the down side, there's tons of work to be done...) Also, I don't know of any convenient sources of Charles barley (a winter 2-row). So, that'll have to wait until next year.

In the meantime, I can get a couple of small patches ready for some spring barley, to propagate & build up a seed stock. I'm thinking Bere, and maybe some Hana. (I'm into historical re-creation, and constantly researching beer history; those are the two oldest "named" varieties I've come across... Does anybody know of any other ones?) I'll probably start the field with something "normal," like Conlon, as well.

Cheers!
--Misha

I believe they occasionally do winter wheat, hereabouts; I'd like to try my hand at a winter barley. Unfortunately, the field is "too far gone" to put anything in it this fall.

Best of luck! I bet there is something deeply satisfying about clearing a section of land to make a field.

Also, I don't know of any convenient sources of Charles barley (a winter 2-row).

Kathy Stewart-Williams at U Idaho ([email protected]) was selling Charles last year for $48 per hundredweight. You have to buy at least 50 lbs, which is probably more than you need, but you'll have access to one of the only modern winter malting barleys.

I'll probably start the field with something "normal," like Conlon, as well.

That's what I grew. As you already know, Conlon is the most likely of the varieties you mentioned to do well, but the least "interesting" in terms of historic appeal.

One thing to keep in mind is timing: a winter crop will mature a bit sooner than a spring crop, but no so much sooner that you can use the same field for a spring barley crop. So every year, you can plant winter or spring barley in one field, but not both.

Given that constraint, and given that there is still some risk of frost damage to a Winter barley, you may just want to plant spring barleys every year. One notable winter barley that would be worth growing despite the added challenge is Maris Otter.

Best of luck! I bet there is something deeply satisfying about clearing a section of land to make a field.

It is rather nice, looking across what I've cleared so far and imagining what I'll have growing there...

Kathy Stewart-Williams at U Idaho ([email protected]) was selling Charles last year for $48 per hundredweight. You have to buy at least 50 lbs, which is probably more than you need, but you'll have access to one of the only modern winter malting barleys.

I'll have to see if I can get some for next year. 50# is much more than I'll need, but I should be able to practice malting techniques on what doesn't get planted...

That's what I grew. As you already know, Conlon is the most likely of the varieties you mentioned to do well, but the least "interesting" in terms of historic appeal.

One thing to keep in mind is timing: a winter crop will mature a bit sooner than a spring crop, but no so much sooner that you can use the same field for a spring barley crop. So every year, you can plant winter or spring barley in one field, but not both.

Given that constraint, and given that there is still some risk of frost damage to a Winter barley, you may just want to plant spring barleys every year. One notable winter barley that would be worth growing despite the added challenge is Maris Otter.

I've got about an acre to "play" with, more or less; I hope to break it down into 1/8-acre chunks, and rotate through. So, I should be able to do some of both spring and winter barley, plus a couple of other things, and not have to harvest everything all at once (I'll be working by hand, at least the first couple of years...).

I hadn't even thought of Maris Otter. Halcyon is a possibility, too. Hmmmm... Wheels are turning. :cool:

Regardless, once I get my field started, I'll have to document it... In its own thread, so as not to hijack this one any more than I already have. :p

I gather you'll be repeating the growing/harvesting next year? I'd like to be able to compare/contrast (and learn along with you)!

Cheers!
--Misha

Regardless, once I get my field started, I'll have to document it... In its own thread, so as not to hijack this one any more than I already have. :p

I gather you'll be repeating the growing/harvesting next year? I'd like to be able to compare/contrast (and learn along with you)!

Cheers!
--Misha

Hey man, my goal is to make this thread a resource for anybody interested in growing every ingredient. There's enough hops information in other threads, so this one has tended to revolve around grains. If you want to add your work here, I'd love it!

Speaking of hops, my plants did alright,

2012-08-20_14-21-16_943.jpg

2012-08-20_14-03-20_258.jpg

2012-08-20_14-03-37_476.jpg

but among 10 surviving plants, I only got about one ounce of hops! I attribute this to a first-year (and transplant) problem, but problems with irrigation and overfertilization may have contributed. Regardless, I think I got enough to bitter one small batch of beer.

I harvested the cones by hand and dried them in a 110F <35% humidity grain drying room for three days each. Then I put in freezer bags and store at 4C. Just need to get out there and grab a few more grains from the hay still sitting to the side of the field, and I'll finally have that 100% homegrown beer.

In the meantime a little beer porn:

2012-08-23_19-21-13_61.jpg

2012-08-23_19-22-16_913.jpg

Those are the homegrown and homemalted grains on the right, and the resultant beer on the left. It's a little bit darker (more orange) than an all-pale malt grist, right? Hmm, hard to say, but you can taste the crystal malt for sure.

Just a quick "bump" to this thread, and an update on what I've got going on:

I requested 4 cultivars from the USDA, and to my surprise, they arrived at my place in a couple of days. The particular varieties were: Bere (6-row spring, British landrace that's probably been continuously cultivated since the Viking invasions), Hana (2-row spring, Moravian variety used in the first Pilsners), Maris Otter (2-row winter, English), and Halcyon (2-row winter, English, descended from Maris Otter, bred for higher yields). I also ordered some Conlon (2-row spring) commercially, so I would have a large enough plot of barley to do something with.

My first impression: the USDA provides 5g of seed. In barley terms, that's not quite enough for a 6 sq.ft. plot; still, a start is a start--I can "grow them up" in a few seasons into "real" quantities. :)

I don't have pics online yet (SWMBO "borrowed" my camera), but I got the winter varieties down in their "test" plots in late September. They took under a week to sprout, and they're a good 3-4" tall as of now. So far (knock wood) no critters seem to have taken any sort of an interest in them at all. My biggest concern has been weather: did I plant too early? too late? Most of my references say to sow the seed "about 4-5 weeks before first frost," which is currently predicted for this weekend. I figure I'm probably OK; this weekend will mark 4 weeks since planting. Hopefully, it will become a waiting game to seeing how cold this winter is... Isn't this a fun game? :drunk:

In the meantime, I've still got to revamp the barn to become a brewing space, plus about a million other things... As soon as I'm able to "steal" the camera back, I'll post pictures. (I'll probably have more on my blog, as well; the link is in my sig).

Cheers!
--Misha

Back