Yeast Fermentation - Tempature Failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwdlaw

Reaction score
Tried a search on this topic with negative results. I brewed a Pumking clone batch on Sunday. OG was 1.080. Pitched yeast and put carboy into Vinotemp wine cooler set to 66 degrees. Yeast started going crazy in 4-5 hours and Co2 bubbling like crazy in the blowoff tube (at a rate of 5-6 bubbles every second) until today (Thrusday) morning.

We had a power outage. Didn't realize it until I got home at like 7pm tonight. The chamber heated up to approx 78-80 degrees. As soon as I noticed, i restored power to the cooler and it is now back down to 66 degrees. However, now yeast are much less active and the blow off tube is only sending out one bubble every second or two.

Question(s): Is my yeast dormant, dead or is fermentation just slowing down? Will the yeast snap back since the fermentation chamber is at the correct temp now? I pitched two packs of Safeale US-05. Should I pitch another two packs to insure fermentation?

Biggest Question: What would you do???

Any help, advice, expertise would be greatly appreciated. THANKS in advance.

B

I'd do nothing. Your beer is fine. Higher temps equal more (potentially) off flavors; however, most of these are created in the first few days of fermentation. Since you had good temperature control until day four you should have no worries. Your yeast activity has simply slowed down because the bulk of the fermentation is finished. If anything the higher temperatures only helped your yeasty-beasties eat a few more sugars.

You're probably right. I was just concerned because the evening before the power outage, the yeast were still going crazy. When I came home the evening of the outage, they were barely moving at all. The recipie said to leave the beer in primary for two weeks, so I still have like 9 days to go. Is it normal for yeast to slow down so suddenly? Also, is it normal for aggressive fermentation to only last for 3 days?

The warm temps just kicked the yeast into high gear and they finished fermentation while you weren't looking, I'd bet. You could check the gravity to reassure yourself.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check the gravity this evening and see where it is sitting. Hopefully my mistake won't cause the dreaded bubble-gum or bananna tastes.

UPDATE: I took a SG reading last night and my SG was 1.020 and the taste was pretty darn close to Pumking. You guys were right!!! I guess the increase in temp just kicked the yeast into high gear while i was gone and they pretty much finished the job. I'll take another reading in 48 hours and see if it is still going down.

Thanks so much for the information!! Yall are the best!!!

Back