Jaco's Bass of Doom recovered

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambledegg81

Flocculation Nation
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is about a month or 2 old, but since I haven't seen it posted, and I'm a rabid Jaco fan, figured I might as well:

http://www.fender.com/news/index.php?display_article=533

Possibly the coolest move in the history of coolness. No inflated egos involved, no politics, just a nod to the greatest bass player in the world. Rock on, Rob.

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

And if anyone isn't familiar with Jaco (or what's possible with a bass):

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. I have a friend who in his own right is an amazing bassist, who models his playing after Jaco's. I've heard a lot and I'm glad they found it.

Awesome article, I am a huge Jaco fan as well but didn't know about that bass (Heavy Weather is still by far my favorite album ever, Birdland and Teen Town alone are probably my favorite songs ever). I can't believe Jaco removed the frets with a butter knife. Most people wouldn't have the balls to do something like that. Great story. I really like Trujillo as well, there was a documentary several years ago about Metallica that included tryouts for the new bassist. If I remember correctly, Trujillo chose to tryout on Battery. Also a balsy move, most appropriate for him to end up with the bass.

Thanks for posting!

I've seen David Pastorius (Jaco's nephew, mentioned in article) play a few times in little dive bars but not for at least 6 years.

One story (IIRC) is that Jaco used to eat fried chicken and not wash his hands before he played, for the special lubrication it provided.:rockin:

Nice! VERY nice!! I'm a huge Jaco fan, as well as Weather Report, and I'm glad to see something like this.
I saw Jaco with Weather Report, and then a couple of years later on a solo tour playing with the Brecker Brothers. About a month later, I saw Weather Report with Victor Bailey on bass. There was absolutely no comparison, and Bailey was excellent!

THIS, IMO, is quintessential Jaco:

Last edited by a moderator:
Best version of Teen Town I've ever heard was off of This Is Jazz #40...same version as that one, but they extended it by about 3 minutes. Turns into a massive jam/rock fest with Jaco hauling off. :rockin:

(That album also has a version of Slang [his solo routine] that still gives me shivers. Buy it, send the wife & kids out, and turn it up.)

Back