messed up making EdWort's Apfelwein!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbabyboy4021x

Reaction score
so i decided to try making a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein and i just messed it up! i decided i was going to make a 4gal batch so i just bought 2lbs of corn sugar and what i THOUGHT was 4 gallons of 100% apple juice, well after i had poured all 4 bottles of apple juice in and mixed in the 25oz of corn sugar (just figured 4 gal is 80% of the recipe so 25oz is almost exactly 80% of the corn sugar called for) and then realized that my bottles of apple juice are all half gallon! so i have 25oz of corn sugar and 2 gal of apple juice, is that going to be nasty? is my best bet to just run to the store and buy 2 more gal of apple juice? or will it be ok how it is? or what do u guys think is my best option?

LOL, you may just have brewed up some ol fashioned rocket fuel. I would dump it in a 4 gallon carboy and top off with remaining apple juice.

5 gallons of apple juice
2 lbs of corn sugar
1 packet Montrachet yeast

Mix, shake, leave alone for a month, or until you can read the paper through it.

If you can't nail that recipe, I would question your ability to dress yourself.

First, that's hilarious Llama

Second, definitely go buy some more apple juice. That much sugar in only two gallons of juice will be very very strong, very dry and have almost not apple flavor. It will be hot with alcohol, light on flavor and harsh for a long time.

Leave it, and see what happens. Worst cast you have to cut it with something else (sprite or vodka :))

so i decided to try making a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein and i just messed it up! i decided i was going to make a 4gal batch so i just bought 2lbs of corn sugar and what i THOUGHT was 4 gallons of 100% apple juice, well after i had poured all 4 bottles of apple juice in and mixed in the 25oz of corn sugar (just figured 4 gal is 80% of the recipe so 25oz is almost exactly 80% of the corn sugar called for) and then realized that my bottles of apple juice are all half gallon! so i have 25oz of corn sugar and 2 gal of apple juice, is that going to be nasty? is my best bet to just run to the store and buy 2 more gal of apple juice? or will it be ok how it is? or what do u guys think is my best option?

get two more gallons and dump it in with in the next few days and it'll be fine.

Back