I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is notties or 05 the preferred dry yeast for this brew? Im assuming 05 because it's the dry version of 1056.

I'm planning on using a 05 cake from an Blond Ale for this, FWIW.

Got a Scottish Ale with US-05 yeast in the fermenter now. I intend to put the 09-09-09 on top of it if all goes well.
If not then a couple packets of US-05 is still pretty cheap for this brew.

Craig

I got mine brewed up tonight, but not all went as planned. I eyeballed the boil and started my hop schedule too early. As a result, I ended uo with close to 4 gallons instead of 3.5. The OG ended up at 1.112. I threw the corrected volume and OG into beersmith and got 93.1 IBU and 18.3*L for color.

It's not incredibly far off, but not spot on. I will flog myself with the mash paddle to atone.

Brewed mine yesterday. I ran into quite a few issues but I did end up with beer in the fermenters so that is good :) I probably should not have gone for the parti-gyle since that added so much trouble having two brew pots going at the same time etc. Plus I was trying a new wort-chilling system (which sucked) so I'll be setting up ice-water recirculation at some point.

Anyway got about ~4 gallons of BarleyWine and 2.5 gallons of the smaller beer (should have been 4 gal.... siphon/hop issues).

I forgot to add the candi sugar during the boil, so I'm planning on doing that as a "feeding" sort of addition in a couple days. How do you all normally add it for incremental feedings? (I have 1 lb for the BW and .5 lb for the other beer)

Without the sugar I ended up with 1.106 BW and a 1.065 smaller beer.

The sugar should get me to right around 1.117 or so

I was planning not to add the sugar, according to beersmith I should be at 1.113 without adding it. Will this affect the flavor? I thought sugar was just to raise abv.

I was planning not to add the sugar, according to beersmith I should be at 1.113 without adding it. Will this affect the flavor? I thought sugar was just to raise abv.

AFAIK, the sugar also helps to make the finished product a little drier because it is so easily fermentable by the yeast.

The recipe calls for "table sugar", I not being one for adding sugar to my beers am assuming that "table sugar" would be the same as corn sugar that most of us use for bottling. Is this true or false?

nope. table sugar is made from sugarcane, corn sugar from corn.

why would you use corn sugar and not table sugar? corn sugar tastes terrible.

not that you will get much flavor from this at all, it's almost completely fermentable and is meant only to dry the beer out a bit.

Table sugar is sucrose and is OK to add as a small percentage to big beers like this (ask the Belgians). You could add dextrose instead if you liked, it really won't make much of a difference either way. I am going with candi sugar but that actually might add a little more complexity due to the caramelizing of some of the sugar.

The recipe calls for "table sugar", I not being one for adding sugar to my beers am assuming that "table sugar" would be the same as corn sugar that most of us use for bottling. Is this true or false?

Corn sugar is different from table sugar. You can use either.

Corn sugar is dextrose made from cornstarch. Table sugar is sucrose and is made from sugar cane or sugar beets.

I will have to look at what I have. I thought I had corn sugar but maybe I'm an idiot and am getting them confused. :drunk:

You won't be able to tell the difference in the taste if you use one or the other. Other than the corn sugar being more expensive.

All my ingredients will be here tomorrow, I'm hoping to brew this weekend, but there's a bike rally that's on the schedule as well. We'll see. :fro:

Questions.. First AG here..

My pot is only ~6.5g, is there any issue with boiling my first 6.5 down and adding the rest of the collected as it boils off? I realize this will add to my boil time but I'm not going to be getting my bigger pot for a few more weeks.
I have 2 pots actually, 6.5 and a 5.5 so I can keep heat on the rest while evap happens. If only I could add them together.

I scoured google and found some brew-notes template sheets. I think with these I'll be set. I'm shooting for no Oops's in this batch.. :D

All my ingredients will be here tomorrow, I'm hoping to brew this weekend, but there's a bike rally that's on the schedule as well. We'll see. :fro:

My pot is only ~6.5g, is there any issue with boiling my first 6.5 down and adding the rest of the collected as it boils off? I realize this will add to my boil time but I'm not going to be getting my bigger pot for a few more weeks.
I have 2 pots actually, 6.5 and a 5.5 so I can keep heat on the rest while evap happens. If only I could add them together.

I scoured google and found some brew-notes template sheets. I think with these I'll be set. I'm shooting for no Oops's in this batch.. :D

You can do that but it's going to be a big pain in the azz. Each time you add more wort it's going to knock it out of a boil.

How much wort are you planning to get preboil?

Ok I just looked at what I have in stock is 12 pounds of corn sugar. I use it for making Apfelwein. Thought that was what I was going to use for this but I guess I'll get some table sugar when I pick up the rest of my grains next week. :mug:

You can do that but it's going to be a big pain in the azz. Each time you add more wort it's going to knock it out of a boil.

How much wort are you planning to get preboil?

According to BS, about 10.2 gallons. BTP shows 10.8

Either way, yes it will be a PITA. But I can have the non-boil pot pretty close to temp so it should be able to recover quickly.
I suppose I could even boil both for a while...

According to BS, about 10.2 gallons. BTP shows 10.8

Either way, yes it will be a PITA. But I can have the non-boil pot pretty close to temp so it should be able to recover quickly.
I suppose I could even boil both for a while...

If you have two burners then use both and boil it down until you can fit it into one or you could split the batch and act as if it were two beers that you just join into one after boil.

I recently had to do an over sized batch. We adjusted the batch size and mash ratio in promash to get us where we needed to be going into the kettle.
We then kept HLT going and added very hot water to kettle as we boiled off. We hit our numbers right on. Compare your pre-boil reading to the reduced batch size number in your software. I think if you do a 1/1 mash and reduce your batch size in your software to about 4 gallons, you might be able to do the same thing.

Just finished mine tonight! Wow is it a monster..... I almost want to brew up a nice easy ordinary bitter just to remind myself that not all beers are that much WORK! :D

Just finished mine tonight! Wow is it a monster..... I almost want to brew up a nice easy ordinary bitter just to remind myself that not all beers are that much WORK! :D

I'll be brewing mine not this weekend but the next one. Starting to think I may make a mead or maybe an easy 5 gal batch of beer also. It will give me something to do while this beast boils for 4 hours. Something other then drink. :drunk:

Great. Thanks for the encouragement. :D

I just crushed my grains tonight. 19.5 pounds for a 4 gallon batch. WTF!!!

Looks like I'll be brewing this bad boy tomorrow night (wed) since the SWMBO has other plans for me this weekend.

Carboy is cleaned out.
Propane tanks are both freshly filled.
Hops are sorted out (Galena, Centennial, Cascade)
I have a huge nottingham slurry from two weeks ago.
Two fresh boxes of Triscuits.

I'm ready.

Great. Thanks for the encouragement. :D

I just crushed my grains tonight. 19.5 pounds for a 4 gallon batch. WTF!!!

Looks like I'll be brewing this bad boy tomorrow night (wed) since the SWMBO has other plans for me this weekend.

Carboy is cleaned out.
Propane tanks are both freshly filled.
Hops are sorted out (Galena, Centennial, Cascade)
I have a huge nottingham slurry from two weeks ago.
Two fresh boxes of Triscuits.

I'm ready.

See, thats what i forgot to do, get triscuts... Life would have been gravy if I had the triscuts :D

In reality my brew day went really well, I only had to add an extra hour to my boil (for 2 hours total), and my OG ended up in the right ball park at least (1.110 I think, got it written down somewhere....) My deal was the 100+ deg and 50% humidity and damn rotation of the earth removing my shade halfway through the brew day :(

Two 9-9-9 barleywine batchs in the books. Just brewed BierMuncher's 3.5 gallon. I brewed a smoked version a few weeks prior. I can hardly wait to transfer the smoked in another week or two. It smells wonderfull.

Sorry I brewed so early guys.
Was running low and wanted another batch of PA to be drinkable and to use as a starter.
Oh well.....another month of aging.;)

Sorry I brewed so early guys.
Was running low and wanted another batch of PA to be drinkable and to use as a starter.
Oh well.....another month of aging.;)

I think that extra month is going to ruin it. Please ship smaples to all parties involved in the swap so we know what NOT to do ;)

Probably gonna be a month or two before I get mine brewed. I'm gonna be spending a small fortune on ingredients, and I might even wait until I have the equipment to do a full boil.

Here's my brew sheet.. Hows it look? This is gonna be fun.. :tank:

BarleyWine
American Barleywine

Type: All Grain
Date: 6/24/2008
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Brewer: Brad
Boil Size: 7.98 gal Asst Brewer: Chihuahua's
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: 10g stainless + 70qt Cooler MLT
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
20 lbs 6.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.7 SRM) Grain 80.67 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 7.92 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2.97 %
6.1 oz Pale Chocolate Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 1.50 %
4.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 0.99 %
1.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 78.3 IBU
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (25 min) Hops 19.6 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 lbs 8.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5.94 %
2 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.120 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.119 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.027 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.029 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 12.14 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 11.86 %
Bitterness: 97.9 IBU Calories: 573 cal/pint
Est Color: 15.5 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 23.75 lb
Sparge Water: 3.33 gal Grain Temperature: 70.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 170.0 F TunTemperature: 70.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 30.00 qt of water at 161.5 F 150.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 4.0 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 168.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

Created with BeerSmith

Just finished my batch.

A bit over my 4 gallon target and a bit short of OG...around 1.012.

I doubt I'll notice the diff.

One word of advice for you that are about to brew...dial down your efficiency on this bad boy and adjust your grain bill accordingly. :D

I'll post pics tomorrow. Stuff tasted like sweetened condensed milk. :rockin:

Just finished my batch.

A bit over my 4 gallon target and a bit short of OG...around 1.012.

I doubt I'll notice the diff.

One word of advice for you that are about to brew...dial down your efficiency on this bad boy and adjust your grain bill accordingly. :D

I'll post pics tomorrow. Stuff tasted like sweetened condensed milk. :rockin:

If I hit the 85% that I have been getting with this size grain bill I should be pushing the 16%ABV on this. :D Hope the yeasties can handle it.

Latest posts

Back