Hefe Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenster

Reaction score
Re-posting a portion of my extract thread due to limited response:

I’m looking forward to brewing my first hefe using the late addition method based on the following recipe:

1-2 lbs light DME
5 lbs wheat DME added in the last 5 minutes of the boil (or perhaps at flameout)
I want a lot of banana, so I’ll be using WLP300 yeast and fermenting in the mid 70’s.

Concerning the steeping grains, I’m looking at ½ lb of flaked oats or 4oz Munich. Can someone elaborate on the differences between the two? Mouth feel, head retention etc…

And finally, I have a turkey fryer and chiller so I can do a full boil…but do I want to do this with a hefe? Something tells me that it might be preferable to do a partial boil, but I don’t know why.
Assuming I do a full boil with only the 1-2 lbs of DME I will want to decrease my hops by roughly a third correct?

Thanks!

Never used extract, but I would think that there would be no difference between doing a full boil or a partial boil. As for the flaked oats or munich... what sort of quality are you attempting to add to your beer? They seem like very different grain additions, with different characteristics.

WLP300 is awesome, my house smelled like a banana plantation when mine was fermenting.

If you do a full boil, add all the extract at the beginning. This is what I would do. IMO, full boil is always preferred, but make sure you re-calculate your hop additions. The hops will be better utilized in the less concentrated wort.

And, honestly, why not go with 100% wheat DME? That is something like 50/50 wheat 2-row anyway. Do you need to steep grains? You could steep some Crystal 10L for a little added sweetness, body, and head retention. You could skip steeping altogether IMO.

I wouldn't ferment in the mid 70's. You're likely to get juicy fruit gum. I wouldn't go higher than 70. And +1 on the 100% wheat LME.

Fenster said:
Concerning the steeping grains, I’m looking at ½ lb of flaked oats or 4oz Munich. Can someone elaborate on the differences between the two? Mouth feel, head retention etc…
Thanks!
You can't steep flaked oats. All you will get out of that would be unfermentable starch. I wouldn't do the Munich, because it doesn't belong in a standard hefe. I'd skip the steeping grains altogether on this one.

I'm open to skipping the steeping grains, just though they might add some body and head retention.

I don't want a watery beer...I'm looking for something like banana shake!
Thanks for the info re: steeped oats, I won't waste the effort.
Crystal sounds like a great idea to keep the flavor right.

I want to keep the color as light as possible, hence the addition of Xtra light DME...will probably add the wheat extract in the last part of the boil for the same reason.

What are your favorite hops in this style?
I'm looking at Saaz or Hersbrucker or both, but no more than 1 oz total, more like 0.7 oz if doing the full boil.

I make a lot of weizens. Over 10 batches last year If I remember correctly.

I do 1.5 gal boils and only add 1 lb DME to is and 3AAs of Hallertau hops, boil 45 mins turn off heat and add 5 lb of Wheat DME and let sit for 15 mins. I top off with cold water to 5.25 gals. Very simple.

Ferm temps around 70-72, but with WLP300 you'll get a lot of bubble gum flavor at those temps. Ttry to drop it down to about 65.;)

Brewsmith said:
You can't steep flaked oats. All you will get out of that would be unfermentable starch.

i've heard conflicting information about this. there are several recipes out there (one in the complete joy of homebrewing, i believe) that say to steep quaker oats.

i'm sure that you're correct that there would be no enzymatic activity, and thus little or no fermentable sugar extraction. it would not have the same effect of adding oats to an enzyme rich mash, but it seems that some people consider these starches (or whatever else you might get from steeping oats) desirable in their stouts.

has anybody tried steeping oats or oatmeal? am i way off base here?

Back