Over Carbed or Infected? Video.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledzib

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some expert advice. :confused: Do you think that this batch is either over carbonated or infected? I brewed this back in January of 2013 and it's been in bottles for over 6 months now. I chilled one for a day and it foams when opened but never leaves the bottom. However, it's impossible to pour. Even pouring the slowest possible I get about 6 inches of heady foam to about 1 inch of liquid. It does have a slight off flavor, but I do remember this batch fermenting away at 80 degrees for the first 2 days. Any or all opinions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to say.. In my opinion when it is infected, you will know.

Try putting them in the fridge longer before opening. Might only be over carb

What was the batch size and amount/type of priming sugar used? This info will help with troubleshooing.

I'm no expert yet, but I've been going on the rule of thumb of 3/4 cups corn sugar per 5 gal US batch. If you're brewing imperial gallons, then its 1 cup/gallon. Quantities vary for different recipes however, but its worked fine for me so far

Hey guys, I need some expert advice. :confused: Do you think that this batch is either over carbonated or infected? I brewed this back in January of 2013 and it's been in bottles for over 6 months now. I chilled one for a day and it foams when opened but never leaves the bottom. However, it's impossible to pour. Even pouring the slowest possible I get about 6 inches of heady foam to about 1 inch of liquid. It does have a slight off flavor, but I do remember this batch fermenting away at 80 degrees for the first 2 days. Any or all opinions are greatly appreciated.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO7FxMPjj1M

So, it's definitely overcarbed, but the question is whether it was too much priming sugar, or wild yeast. Taste it, and if it is super thin and watery, it's likely wild yeast, otherwise, probably to much priming sugar. I've had one lacto infection, and it foamed some, but you could taste it.

I had 2 batches that I used a different yeast than my usual and while they had 2 weeks or more in the fermenter and were at the expected FG, it turned out that they weren't quite done fermenting and that caused overcarbonation as the yeast continued fermenting in the bottle. You didn't mention how long you left it fermenting before bottling so I suspect you bottled a little too soon.

My initial thoughts as well. Maybe the beer wasn't quite done yet. I've also had minor cases of this,& the beer was done,supposedly. Maybe the combination of priming sugar amount combined with that extra point or two left did it. Put'em in the fridge for at least a week,this cured it for me to where it was pourable.

Thanks all! It had sat in a primary for over 2 weeks, then dry hopped in a secondary for over a week. I never calculate the priming sugar. I'm still an extract brewer and just add the priming sugar packet per the instructions from my kits. It has a little strange flavor but not crazy. Also this fermented way too high so I'm sure that has something to do with the off flavor. I'll be sure to keep one in the fridge for a week then try it. Thanks again!

Back