Best 2 Row Malt to buy in bulk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twalte

Reaction score
I am new to all grain, and will start milling my own this week. I am not in a situation where group buys are an option, so I want to buy a 50-55 pound bag of a base 2-row and I will continue to buy smaller quantities of the other malts.

I see several types of 2 row malt in varying prices. I see 2-row whole malt, 2 row pale ale malt, Maris Otter Malt, Canadian Pale Whole, and Golden Promise Whole (in increasing order of price)

My generally enjoy Pale Ales, IPAs, Belgian Whites and English Pale Ales.

If you had to choose one malt as your quantity buy (and base for any recipe calling for 2-row), which one will give the best quality beer? I understand that the taste may vary based on the type of malt used...what is my safest choice?

I appreciate any input...and I lean towards quality over price.

I use Marris Otter for pretty much all of my brews and have bought a couple of 25 Kilo bags over the past year. That's just my personal preference though.

If it were me, all the recipes I do seem to use Pale Malt 2-row America/US

And I even tend to use a little more than called for since I do brew in a bag and efficiency can be an issue

Marris Otter is a bit too strong for cleaner malt profiles of American and Belgian styles but works great for English styles including stouts and porters. I would start with some regular 2 row brewers malt. MO is nice to have around though so why not get both!

Either Maris Otter or a good UK 2-row would be (and is) my choice. I have both (from Bairds) on hand at all times. I try to plan things so that I'm in a group grain buy before I'm down to less than a full sack of each. Those both come in 55# sacks.

I mainly use Rahr 2row and pilsner malt as I get it for about 33 dollars a bag. Depending on the style I will then add appropriate other malts for the flavors.

I mainly use Rahr 2row and pilsner malt as I get it for about 33 dollars a bag. Depending on the style I will then add appropriate other malts for the flavors.

I paid not that much more than that for each of my sacks of UK grain. The MO was a little more, but not much. Also keep in mind, most sacks of US grain is 50# where UK grain comes in 55# sacks. While it might not seem like a big difference, it does help with the per pound cost. :D

Thats all well and good, I live in a remote area in MN, not in a major metro area, so the only group buy would be me.

You may want to do some experimenting for yourself. I buy Maris Otter in bulk for all my pale ales, IPA's, and stouts even though I almost always brew American-style recipes. I don't know if it's the specific maltster that my LHBS carries but I was never completely satisfied with the results using the american 2-row. The other base I tend to keep in bulk is Belgian pilsner.

Thanks for all of the replies. Just returned from the Home Brew Store...went with the 50# of American 2 row based on price. (I forgot to take the extra 5 pounds into consideration when evaluating the price:confused:)

I think I will try two BIAB small batch pale ales with American 2 Row vs. Marris Otter and see which one I prefer side by side. They should last a year, so having both on hand would not be that bad.

Thanks again!!

I keep a sack of MO, a sack of Pale Ale malt, and a local maltster 6-row Heritage malt that tastes like a cross between MO and Munich. I would say the Pale Ale malt gets used the most.

I have made side by side beers with MO and American 2row but couldn't justify 2x the price for the slight flavor difference.

I have made side by side beers with MO and American 2row but couldn't justify 2x the price for the slight flavor difference.

I paid <$40 for each sack of MO via the group buy. I would be very surprised if there's not a homebrew club in your region. It could be a drive, but you should be able to easily save enough, per sack and total, to make it worth it. I plan on getting at least one sack of TF Maris Otter with the next group buy. I expect it to be under $45 for the sack (TF MO is more expensive than the others). IF I was buying it from a LHBS, or online, that would easily be twice the cost.

I'm about to join up the HBC that covers most of New Hampshire... Since they do two group grain buys per year (not like the four for the one based in the Boston area) I'll still be ok. I normally plan my purchases so that I have enough to last until the next buy happens. I've also joined in on HBT organized grain buys before. So crying over not being in a metro area is just being a defeatist IMO. If it was me, I'd try to organize one via HBT, find someone that has an account with a distributor (or get one yourself) and get a pallet or three of grain delivered. Even if it's only once a year, the cost savings is significant.

I paid <$40 for each sack of MO via the group buy. I would be very surprised if there's not a homebrew club in your region. It could be a drive, but you should be able to easily save enough, per sack and total, to make it worth it. I plan on getting at least one sack of TF Maris Otter with the next group buy. I expect it to be under $45 for the sack (TF MO is more expensive than the others). IF I was buying it from a LHBS, or online, that would easily be twice the cost.

I'm about to join up the HBC that covers most of New Hampshire... Since they do two group grain buys per year (not like the four for the one based in the Boston area) I'll still be ok. I normally plan my purchases so that I have enough to last until the next buy happens. I've also joined in on HBT organized grain buys before. So crying over not being in a metro area is just being a defeatist IMO. If it was me, I'd try to organize one via HBT, find someone that has an account with a distributor (or get one yourself) and get a pallet or three of grain delivered. Even if it's only once a year, the cost savings is significant.

I live a 180 miles from an “American” city where I could do a group buy so calculating gas ($60.00) and time (five hours), it would not be worth it for me and others in my position.

I live a 180 miles from an “American” city where I could do a group buy so calculating gas ($60.00) and time (five hours), it would not be worth it for me and others in my position.

Well, not everyone lives in BFT... :eek:

I've found that you don't need to be near a 'city' to get into a group grain buy. Provided there's enough home brewers in your area. If there are any brew pubs close by, see if you can get some grain from them.

BTW, do you drive like a little 'ol lady? 180 miles in 5 hours? :eek: :D I went to college 300 miles from where my parents lived and we could easily do that in about 5 hours. With a trailer full of stuff behind us. That was including non-highway time too. :D

Also, that $60 could easily be recovered with two sacks of grain (or less). For what most places sell MO for (sacks or not) just one almost completely covers that cost. Get a few people together to drive in shifts, and it's a hell of a lot easier.

Just saying, if you really want to save on the grain cost, it doesn't take much effort. If you're ok with paying double what you could, for whatever reason, then that's fine. Just don't whine about how much grain costs you. :eek: :D

I live 125 miles from NB and Midwest brewing. I like that I don't live in a populated area as well. I am quite happy with my beers and when I have used MO, it wasn't worth it.

I've found that you don't need to be near a 'city' to get into a group grain buy. Provided there's enough home brewers in your area. If there are any brew pubs close by, see if you can get some grain from them.

BTW, do you drive like a little 'ol lady? 180 miles in 5 hours? :eek: :D I went to college 300 miles from where my parents lived and we could easily do that in about 5 hours. With a trailer full of stuff behind us. That was including non-highway time too. :D

Also, that $60 could easily be recovered with two sacks of grain (or less). For what most places sell MO for (sacks or not) just one almost completely covers that cost. Get a few people together to drive in shifts, and it's a hell of a lot easier.

Just saying, if you really want to save on the grain cost, it doesn't take much effort. If you're ok with paying double what you could, for whatever reason, then that's fine. Just don't whine about how much grain costs you. :eek: :D

Between Laredo to San Antonio there is nothing but ranches. Brew pub in Laredo aka. Mexico, now that’s funny and as for home brewers I know of one other All Grain brewer in Laredo who doesn’t brew very often again I live in what is basically Mexico and people here just love their Bud Light It’s an EXTREMMLY different culture then America.
180 miles one way equals 360 round trip so I feel five hours is pretty good.
You stated you get a good deal at $40 when I can get it on line for $70 so for me and my time I would need to buy four bags at once to save $60, I brew a lot but not that much.
Also not whining just stating my opinion.

I like to brew but drive in shifts to go get some malt? No thanks, it' worth the extra to have it delivered to my work place.

lunshbox said:
I keep a sack of MO, a sack of Pale Ale malt, and a local maltster 6-row Heritage malt that tastes like a cross between MO and Munich. I would say the Pale Ale malt gets used the most.

Lunshbox, assuming you mean riverbends heritage malt, do you ever use it as a base malt?

Lunshbox, assuming you mean riverbends heritage malt, do you ever use it as a base malt?

I am indeed talking about Riverbend. I have used heritage in a pale ale and it was pretty amazing. I am not sure I would take it over 40% of the grain bill again, but different strokes for different folks. It makes an insanely malty beer. I would be interested in using it to make an American-Belgian to see how it would turn out.

I am indeed talking about Riverbend. I have used heritage in a pale ale and it was pretty amazing. I am not sure I would take it over 40% of the grain bill again, but different strokes for different folks. It makes an insanely malty beer. I would be interested in using it to make an American-Belgian to see how it would turn out.

Cool. I used about 10% in a rye-p-a, but haven't tried it yet.
Does it really have the "nutty" taste that they claim on the website?

I have to agree with Aubiecat to drive 5 hours round trip to pick up a couple of sacks of grain is insane, just is not worth my time. I would also pay the extra to have it delievered. Yes, and from Laredo to anywhere in nothing but miles and miles of ranches unitl one gets to San Antonio or Corpus Christi. I am 3.0 hours round trip to the LHBS and if I just need a 3 or 4 items I buy over the internet. If the gas cost exceeds the delivery cost I just have it shipped, which is usually most of the time! I buy most of my grains from Austin Homebrew Supply.

Back